[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I don't know if this was already posted.

The Power of Dreams!

f1316
f1316

I’m surprised Red Bull are wasting an Alpha Tauri seat with Kvyatt, given they surely have no intention of ever promoting him to RB again. He’s now been soundly beaten by Sainz, Gasly (twice) and Albon, and although I can kinda see why they might be using him as a known benchmark for those guys, they’ve certainly been more ruthless in the past with folks like Algesuari, Buemi, JEV and Bourdais.

This is particularly exacerbated imo by the fact that there is a good alternative, formerly on their books, who they could recall: Antonio Felix Da Costa. I always thought it was odd that he missed out on the TR seat to begin with but has now shown real growth as a driver in Formula E and I would imagine could be worth giving an actual race seat to, rather than someone like DK who will never be a champion.

I say all this in the RB thread because it seems pretty clear that they’re not getting Max the support he needs -I.e. someone who can run remotely close to his pace to support strategy and help in the constructors - with the guys they have, so you’d think they would be more active in trying to identify such a talent.

rogazilla
rogazilla

f1316 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:24
I say all this in the RB thread because it seems pretty clear that they’re not getting Max the support he needs -I.e. someone who can run remotely close to his pace to support strategy and help in the constructors - with the guys they have, so you’d think they would be more active in trying to identify such a talent.
While there is the F1 fan mentality where the best driver gets the seat. The reality is sometimes more complex. From Red Bull's perspective, do you stick with your principle and develop your own drivers or do you bring someone in along side Max as a better support driver? Looks like at this point they are sticking with their principle and continue to develop Albon and Gasly. I do think you have drivers who are just talented and get in the car that either matches their style and excel or can adapt to whatever car given and excel. More drivers probably need a season or 2 to develop and used to the car (but you want to see some brilliance and skills while they are developing).

Just like Racing point, my opinion is that Perez and Hulkenburg are better drivers but guess who's always going to have a seat there?

Sieper

they now have Yuki Tsunoda in F2 with Carlin. He is doing well and for Honda it is very important (and for all of F1 even) to have a Japanese driver back on the grid. I think Kvyat will have one last year and if Tsunoda continues to impress / improve he will get the ALpha Tauri seat.

Marti_EF3

That will be interesting to see how all PU deal with it...

epo
epo

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:28

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 7453403139
Well especially Honda as they seem to use the high performance mode a lot during the race. But I guess now it will be tuned a bit back and used for the whole race.
Anyways going to be interesting, there is no setting now to tune the engine back for fuel preservation or engine, so drivers to have to adjust their driving now to save fuel or the engine.

etusch

If Mercedes (or anyone else) uses something to burn together with gasoline, fia must ban this. After that it is not problem having Q mode.
But if someone uses additional fuel they can use it with another mode too.
Last edited by etusch on 13 Aug 2020, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:52
If Mercedes (or anyone else) uses something to burn together eith gasoline, fia must ban this. After that it is noy problem Q mode.
But if someone uses additional fuel they can use.with another mode too.
This is the problem. Instead of going for the sickness they are going for the symptoms.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

So Merc is what, a second ahead with Q mode and half a second in the race. I expect them to be .7 ahead in Q and the race now (all things equal). I realize it's not all PU, but the strain they save in Q will just be shifted to when HAM/BOT have to push in the race. One thing I do like about this is the drivers will be able to determine when they want to use all out vs cruising. Instead of asking for a higher engine mode and being "allowed" to use it. Still not sure the price paid is worth the gain.

f1316
f1316

rogazilla wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 14:01
f1316 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:24
While there is the F1 fan mentality where the best driver gets the seat. The reality is sometimes more complex. From Red Bull's perspective, do you stick with your principle and develop your own drivers or do you bring someone in along side Max as a better support driver? Looks like at this point they are sticking with their principle and continue to develop Albon and Gasly. I do think you have drivers who are just talented and get in the car that either matches their style and excel or can adapt to whatever car given and excel. More drivers probably need a season or 2 to develop and used to the car (but you want to see some brilliance and skills while they are developing).

Just like Racing point, my opinion is that Perez and Hulkenburg are better drivers but guess who's always going to have a seat there?
Right but I’m not saying abandon the principle of developing your own drivers - Da Costa is a product of the RB program. I’m saying stick with your principles of looking for future world champions through that program rather than keep Kvyatt in a seat once you know he’s not a future champ material (which I think is now pretty clear). Red Bull are usually ruthless with this so just surprised they’ve kept DK around so long.

ispano6

Think of it in terms of oil consumption. The modes that will be used during the race cannot result in exceeding the allowed oil consumption. It's possible Mercedes would go over if they used their quali mode during the race. Instead, the oil consumed during the race needs to be proportional to the oil spent during quali. In essence, teams will need to set oil consumption per lap in order to squeeze every drop of performance out in both sessions while not exceeding the limits.
Last edited by ispano6 on 13 Aug 2020, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.

rogazilla
rogazilla

f1316 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:41
Right but I’m not saying abandon the principle of developing your own drivers - Da Costa is a product of the RB program. I’m saying stick with your principles of looking for future world champions through that program rather than keep Kvyatt in a seat once you know he’s not a future champ material (which I think is now pretty clear). Red Bull are usually ruthless with this so just surprised they’ve kept DK around so long.
Got you. I do think team would keep driver as previously mentioned as a bench mark or some driver simply provide better feedback to help develop the car. I believe many think that Harley was kept in the seat because he was better at giving feedback for the PU because he had experience with hybrid engine? In the end I think it is right to keep Gasly and Albon and let them develop. DK wise, we will see what happens at the end of this season.

etusch

godlameroso

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:28

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 7453403139
Seems ham fisted, as if they don't know what they're doing yet.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

rogazilla wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:03
f1316 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:41
Got you. I do think team would keep driver as previously mentioned as a bench mark or some driver simply provide better feedback to help develop the car. I believe many think that Harley was kept in the seat because he was better at giving feedback for the PU because he had experience with hybrid engine? In the end I think it is right to keep Gasly and Albon and let them develop. DK wise, we will see what happens at the end of this season.
Would love to see Tsunoda driving with Gasly on the AT. Really I hope a Japanese driver will be soon at F1. And among all recent on F2, I think Tsunoda is the most complete driver of all. He seems pretty good at managing tires and overtaking. He only needs to solve his Q performance, but may be hard to get the Pirellis on the right window. We will see