[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Moore77 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:11
Sorry to say, but our friend @godlameroso should retire now. It's time. :)

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:04
Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:56
What was that useless strategy with Albon?? Guinea pig with the hards and abandon him on the middle of a train... Well, we will be lucky if Max hold 2nd WDC. Last race was the typical one-off to not see Merc winning all season in a row :lol:
That was strange to me as well... It felt like Albon's chances were ruined with that first pit on the hards...
I think he was data gathering for Max. How much damage on the med, is the hard usable late on etc.
He is doing his job even though it is not what he wants. He went to great pains in the interview not to say he was stitched up as it was useful to max
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ispano6

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 15:04
ispano6 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 14:19
El Scorchio wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 13:41

Exactly. If the Merc dominance is based on their PU then why have the teams they supply not been far higher up the WCC in the past few years? Why last year did they finish 7th and 10th, behind teams using every other engine supplied in the sport? Why have Williams been at the back and miles behind for the past few years?
Probably because Suzie nor Valterri no longer were in Williams... The year Bottas and Massa drove Williams to p2 in the constructors championship was thanks to the engine and straight line speed. Mercedes had something like 7 years headstart on the hybrid tech I've read (that alone should be reason to clamp down on them). That Honda has surpassed the other two manufacturers and is mounting a challenge and threatens to almost always have all 4 cars in the top ten just goes to show their integrity and determination. It's a great time to be a RedBull Honda fan and looking forward to more wins.
So because Merc are doing a good job they should be clamped down on but we should instead praise Honda and RB for doing a similarly good job?

And to suggest Williams were good because of favours?

What rubbish.
Rubbish? Beat Bottas. HONDA'S development rate has been impressive considering how much later they started.

epo
epo

ispano6 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:24
El Scorchio wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Probably because Suzie nor Valterri no longer were in Williams... The year Bottas and Massa drove Williams to p2 in the constructors championship was thanks to the engine and straight line speed. Mercedes had something like 7 years headstart on the hybrid tech I've read (that alone should be reason to clamp down on them). That Honda has surpassed the other two manufacturers and is mounting a challenge and threatens to almost always have all 4 cars in the top ten just goes to show their integrity and determination. It's a great time to be a RedBull Honda fan and looking forward to more wins.
So because Merc are doing a good job they should be clamped down on but we should instead praise Honda and RB for doing a similarly good job?

What rubbish.
Rubbish? Beat Bottas. HONDA'S development rate has been impressive considering how much later they started.
They indeed did an impressive job and they are bit hampered by the engine token freeze. Pretty sure spec 2 (with all kind of goodies according to Wazzari) would have gotten them really close.

McMika98
McMika98

People need to accept the fact that Honda ain't delivering any time soon. The Renault cars are flying in the straights.
Ironic how Red bull struggled to manage the tyres. Degs was just too high.

El Scorchio

ispano6 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

What rubbish.
You’ve totally missed my point.

ispano6

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:39
ispano6 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

What rubbish.
You’ve totally missed my point.
And you've missed mine.

Moore77

I am not sure who else is appreciating the behavior of Max Verstappen, but sure I am. He did the right thing in Silverstone2 and once again here, teaching his team where to focus on. In the end, he spoke highly of the result achieved today, given the performance difference. Well played Max.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

ME4ME

Albon having a tough time

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:21
Revs84 wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:56
What was that useless strategy with Albon?? Guinea pig with the hards and abandon him on the middle of a train... Well, we will be lucky if Max hold 2nd WDC. Last race was the typical one-off to not see Merc winning all season in a row :lol:
That was strange to me as well... It felt like Albon's chances were ruined with that first pit on the hards...
I think he was data gathering for Max. How much damage on the med, is the hard usable late on etc.
He is doing his job even though it is not what he wants. He went to great pains in the interview not to say he was stitched up as it was useful to max
Not only that. Sure they wanted to see if it could work, fully agree. But he was never going to get passed the RP’s on the same strategy, so they hoped it would work. But the hard tire was just to hard for this track. Also in the race.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 18:41
Big Tea wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:21
Revs84 wrote:

Not only that. Sure they wanted to see if it could work, fully agree. But he was never going to get passed the RP’s on the same strategy, so they hoped it would work. But the hard tire was just to hard for this track. Also in the race.
I think they wanted data on the hard too. If they just wanted to shake the field up why not put him on a mid then soft, or soft to get out of the train. there was also a likleyhood of having to go inters, so med med inter
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

If they put him on mediums the RP would have come in the next lap to cover him. They had to give white a try for the out of the box option. Vettel lasted 37 laps on red. Allthough on lower fuel offcourse.

Alexf1
Alexf1

McMika98 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:36
People need to accept the fact that Honda ain't delivering any time soon. The Renault cars are flying in the straights.
Then why are McLaren and Renault both a lap down?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Alexf1 wrote:
McMika98 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:36
Then why are McLaren and Renault both a lap down?
Because their chassis is not as good as RBR’s (in the hands of Max to be more accurate)... It isn’t engine related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wynters
Wynters

Sieper wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 18:47
If they put him on mediums the RP would have come in the next lap to cover him. They had to give white a try for the out of the box option. Vettel lasted 37 laps on red. Allthough on lower fuel offcourse.
The strategy they chose was not to wait a few more laps until he cleared the train, but to pit him directly into that train. The only reason to pit him that early (outside of deg no other car was suffering from) was to get access to his tyre data in time to make a calculated decision for Verstappen. Pitting him that early also made his remaining stints harder and meant that he would always lose out if there was a safety car. Plus, they put him on the much worse tyre. If they wanted to beat RP, then wait until you've cleared the train and try the Soft.

But, it's no slight on the team that his race was sacrificed to try and give Verstappen the best chance of the win. It's what he's there for and he's well paid to do it.