[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
damager21
damager21

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Looks like Max broke his rear suspension by going aggressively over the kerbs

Marti_EF3

damager21 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:14
Looks like Max broke his rear suspension by going aggressively over the kerbs
He did an installation lap 15min ago, so maybe were checking something

Mark4211

Annotated Wheel Adjustments: Onboard Lap, Alex Albon - Testing 2020

Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: Red Bull RB16

Personally think the Red Bull looks like the closest threat to Merc. Direction change looks excellent, they just need to iron out the occasional “nervousness” when at full tilt which the Merc doesn’t have at all.

The 1:17.4 on the C1 caught my eye especially. Very interesting and potentially competitive time (for the compound).

izzy
izzy

godlameroso wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:29
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERTHDP9WsAA ... me=900x900

If you look at this at face value it seems that Mercedes is .7 ahead of Red Bull.

However this is slower than last year's pace by Verstappen, and we already know conditions are both better and this car is faster. How easy is it to just top off the fuel tank between stints and hide your pace?

The delta between full and empty tanks is over 3 seconds, yet Verstappen never really breaks into the 19's.
This is quite scary, the difference is so consistent, all the way through. I don't see why they'd deliberately mess up the data from their race sim by refuelling, just to try and kid another team who have the GPS anyway and won't do anything different in any case

Probably they were turned down and can go faster, but why would Mercedes be running harder? It's not conclusive obviously but it's not a good sign at this point. But perhaps Honda are being more conservative than HPP with having that bit less experience. And perhaps there's a Spec2 car coming next week? But god if you charted those times the lines would almost never cross, lap after lap

godlameroso

izzy wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 01:45
godlameroso wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:29
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERTHDP9WsAA ... me=900x900

If you look at this at face value it seems that Mercedes is .7 ahead of Red Bull.

However this is slower than last year's pace by Verstappen, and we already know conditions are both better and this car is faster. How easy is it to just top off the fuel tank between stints and hide your pace?

The delta between full and empty tanks is over 3 seconds, yet Verstappen never really breaks into the 19's.
This is quite scary, the difference is so consistent, all the way through. I don't see why they'd deliberately mess up the data from their race sim by refuelling, just to try and kid another team who have the GPS anyway and won't do anything different in any case

Probably they were turned down and can go faster, but why would Mercedes be running harder? It's not conclusive obviously but it's not a good sign at this point. But perhaps Honda are being more conservative than HPP with having that bit less experience. And perhaps there's a Spec2 car coming next week? But god if you charted those times the lines would almost never cross, lap after lap
They may be just killing the tires, see how they degrade, maybe the drivers get better feel for the car when they train with low grip tires. Low grip tires make you work harder to go faster, so probably a good training tool to find the limits. Furthermore, the consistency could be due to running a test program. Who knows what devices are on the car that affect aerodynamics, or weight distribution. Remember that this is the only week that teams can just collect raw data. Data is evolutionary voltage, in other words, more data means more development, so sticking to the program is key at the moment.

The car is very fast, it's obvious, they're not showing their hand, but it's impossible to hide their speed, so impossible to peg where they are relative to Mercedes, Or where they'll end up come Melbourne. Mercedes is the most worthy opponent in this era, no bigger dragon to slay so to speak. I just enjoy how high the stakes are this season.
Saishū kōnā

seense
seense

All teams will have new parts on the car next week. Its not looking good for the championship. Also because ferrari believes they are behind. We need drivers that can take points away from hamilton to have the best chance for Max becoming champ.

Bill
Bill

Redbull are hiding pace with engine modes .if they are slower than last year underdeveloped car is obvious.they are other factors like track temperatures fuel loads

seense
seense

Are they slower than last years race sims during testing?

izzy
izzy

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 02:52
They may be just killing the tires, see how they degrade, maybe the drivers get better feel for the car when they train with low grip tires. Low grip tires make you work harder to go faster, so probably a good training tool to find the limits. Furthermore, the consistency could be due to running a test program. Who knows what devices are on the car that affect aerodynamics, or weight distribution. Remember that this is the only week that teams can just collect raw data. Data is evolutionary voltage, in other words, more data means more development, so sticking to the program is key at the moment.

The car is very fast, it's obvious, they're not showing their hand, but it's impossible to hide their speed, so impossible to peg where they are relative to Mercedes, Or where they'll end up come Melbourne. Mercedes is the most worthy opponent in this era, no bigger dragon to slay so to speak. I just enjoy how high the stakes are this season.
the car does look good doesn't it, responsive and well balanced, but they were on the same tyres, they seemed to fall off at a similar rate, being a race sim means the fuel was about the same, so it only leaves engine mode afaics, and 0.7 is quite a lot of power. If they were running a lot of test gear i don't think they'd do a race sim with it they'd just do a specific stint

so yes we don't 'know' at this point but i was so sure we'd have an amazing fight before Lewis gloriously wins :P and now Ferrari and Charles seem to be out of it already and the Red Bull is surprisingly and so consistently slower on the Test1 race sim. It can all change of course as you say, but it needs to doesn't it! hopefully a Version 2 coming next week or something

Marti_EF3

They are using a lot the harder compounds. They don't mind about times, or to show how fast they are to focus attention.

They are doing a good job, a lot of laps and data available to be prepared for next week and Melbourne. I won't be too much worried with the times, it's always the same every year with the times :lol:

Let's see on track next week how the beast handle and sounds, and compare with the unstability the RB15 had during the tests

Bill
Bill

Slower than last year race 0.7 is 70hp of 1000+ pu

nzjrs

Bill wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 12:17
Slower than last year race 0.7 is 70hp of 1000+ pu
Just to be 100% clear, you believe RB is slower than last year?

Bill
Bill

No .they brought a big upgrade in Austria which solved some of their problems they had in Barcelona 2019

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Great read!
Pretty much how I felt when watching those on boards...
https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-bull ... ws.twitter