[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mem

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

maguetox wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 16:04
Wouter wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 15:27
I wonder if Helmut Marko knows this .........

Mercedes purposely slower at Spa by 0.6, 0.7 tenths

Date published: September 3 2020

Mercedes has already prepared for life with a less powerful power unit at Monza by running a reported six to seven tenths a lap down at the Belgian Grand Prix.

The Italian Grand Prix marks the end of ‘party mode’ as a new Technical Directive [TD/037-20] comes into effect at the ‘Temple of Speed’.

The directive limits the usage of engine modes, requiring teams to run the same ICE mode in qualifying and the race.

That means the full might of the Mercedes engine will not be able to be unleashed, but it appears the dominant Silver Arrows, who cruised to another race win in Belgium, used Spa as somewhat of a dummy run for Monza.

“Only when Verstappen caught up to one and a half seconds on Valtteri on the 25th lap did we tell our guys [Hamilton and Bottas] that they could forget about tyre management for a few laps and get a little bit of a head start,” Mercedes chief race engineer Andrew Shovlin is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

“If you take more today, you will harm yourself tomorrow.

“We already had the races from Monza in mind and wanted to bring the engines as fresh as possible into the new era. Every hot lap would have cost us more later.”

The report states that the Mercedes duo were six to seven tenths a lap slower than they could have been during the race and suggests the 0.526s gap between Hamilton and Max Verstappen for pole position could have been larger.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... er-at-spa/

Original article in German: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... a-gespart/
Depressing!!!!

I think the FIA will need to allow one PU upgrade or change of specification during the season, if not, the peek order is not going to change.
seriously ?!! and you believe Mercedes engineer because ?
he is lying in front of your eyes Max was always 1.5 s to Bottas from lap 15 to lap 25.
only after that Max start complaining about his tyres vibration start to lose some pace.
he could drove faster but he would of pitted same condition for Hamilton and Bottas.

Wynters

OK.

rogazilla
rogazilla

This article is just a waste of space in my opinion. This is all relative isn't it? If Merc were running their full out pace, they most likely have to pit again hence why they are managing the tires and only when they are caught up by Max, that they manage the gap. That's just typical racing in the hybrid era, we already know with limited engine, every PU is being preserved when they can. Just like teams run first PU on Fridays after they start using the second one. We also suspected that they put the first PU back in Max' car in Spain to preserve PU2 for the next 3 races. To come to a conclusion that's to prepare for Quali mode ban is a bit of a stretch. It is just something they are all doing anyway. Until you see someone who would go all out and replace engine as many time as they can strategically as many people talked about here, they are all trying to make the engine last 7 races.

While it is true that less damage to PU on Saturday means the team can run their PU that much harder on Sunday but I think the Q mode ban has different implication than that. As I take it, in Qmode, you don't care about subsequent lap which means you want to deliver every bit of electric power along with your ICE through out the entire lap. Recovery in this case is an after thought, maybe you can recover some on full out straight from the H but if they could put that bit into K and uses it in that lap, they will. What that mean is the subsequent lap, you have to recover, I am incline to believe in race situation, they would use higher mode but never that Q-mode over the entire lap unless the chasing car is doing the same but we should see both car laptime drop in the subsequent lap. Can someone help me understand what I am missing here? Are teams allow to top up their battery between Quali and Race start?

Sieper

Yes, I think so. And you have an inlap after the qualy and a warm up lap where you can recover the battery anyway.

This was, outlap and inlap Q, Where ferrari was saving the fuel to use extra during the hotlap.

Big Tea

Remember Bottas saying he had a session left on his button? maybe they were seeing what they could lose while keeping an ace in the hole just in case they miscalculated.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 15:05
Fair! But I already like not wise better than just dumb!

It was a gamble, didn’t pay out. Cost him even. But such was his position they could try it.
Good point about dumb vs not wise. They get thrown around together, but are not the same. I guess my reasoning is Albon is already under a lot of pressure and right now might not be the best time to be trying to get cute with his strategy. At least the team continues to support him. Maybe they learned from the debacle with Gasly.

But yes, unwise would have been a better choice of words that dumb or stupid.

gshevlin
gshevlin

The bottom line in all of this is that the use of multiple engine modes throughout the weekend, with constant in-race discussion between team and driver about which modes they can and should use at various points in a race, has been slowly eroding the entire meaning of the phrase in the regulations. The one that says "the driver shall drive the car alone and unaided".
From what I have been reading, the requirement to use only one mode in qualifying and race will probably increase engine wear, since the drivers will not be able to move to lower-wear modes under safety car conditions and after qualifying runs. So the decision by Mercedes to use lower-wear modes in Spa may have been because the current power plants have to last several more races, and operating under single-mode conditions requires less use of higher-wear modes in the short term.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

mem

gshevlin wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 19:57
The bottom line in all of this is that the use of multiple engine modes throughout the weekend, with constant in-race discussion between team and driver about which modes they can and should use at various points in a race, has been slowly eroding the entire meaning of the phrase in the regulations. The one that says "the driver shall drive the car alone and unaided".
From what I have been reading, the requirement to use only one mode in qualifying and race will probably increase engine wear, since the drivers will not be able to move to lower-wear modes under safety car conditions and after qualifying runs. So the decision by Mercedes to use lower-wear modes in Spa may have been because the current power plants have to last several more races, and operating under single-mode conditions requires less use of higher-wear modes in the short term.
mercs using lower wear mode in SPA is pure fantasy to justify the drop in power which happened after uploading the ERS informations to FIA on 21 August. i said that alot :mrgreen:
The only exceptions will be laps immediately after leaving the pits or returning to the pits, during a safety car period, or any lap that is at least 20% slower than the fastest lap of that on-track session.

These exceptions mean that teams will still be able to use slow-down laps to recharge the batteries in the hybrid system.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53906072

now since tomorrow the first day in the new FIA T.D one mode i will give my take about where is RBR from mercs now from what i could understand
first about the PU , both Honda and Mercedes revised their TC going into 2020 , Mercedes nailed it with the design and dimensions accuracy and quality while Honda messed the target by Tanabe own saying they are willing to catch up and make improvements to their TC and introduce their spec 2 ICE going into 2021. while my personal hope is Mercedes won't find big gains.

about the RBR side obviously and by Newey own saying and results on the track mercs car is superior to RBR and their aero and chassis department have more manpower , if RBR could raise the par and hire even 50 more employee in the aero and chassis dept they can solve the car flaws from day one but they will need to hire smartly with high IQ engineers with out of the box solutions , i will just give an example to how can you spend smartly
in the epl manchester city since 2015 / 2016 season have net spend of 632 m £ followed by man united 476 m
while liverpool come number 16 with only net spend of 105 m. guess who won the CL , super euro cup , cwc and epl
titels ?!!
so i really hope RBR to raise the par and hire smartly Mercedes are not far away just step one more level RBR.

finally about Monza i think Max has a big chance for the fact that tyre pressure will change for that race i wouldn't mind another silverstone 2 result :mrgreen:

HPD

Is there any chance that RB will have old engines by Friday?

McMika98
McMika98

HPD wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 16:34
Is there any chance that RB will have old engines by Friday?
That is the only glimmer of hope remaining after todays running. Merc showing their hand.

kistigun

Normally they drive with old engines on fridays

Sayeman

is gasly's engine dead?
Never Give up.

Pany
Pany

The car is well progressing and stable. Lots of new tips and modif. Shuld be faster here and SPA.
At this point only one thing is becoming sure and I am sad because of that. Honda engine is not ready to help beat mercedes. In my opinion is a mix of lack of peak performance and total reliability. In order to get the second, must still sacrifice the first. Hence no chance to be regularly on par with mercedes cars. No watching gp, i think since i am also not interested in Ferrari depressive state either

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

mem

did they changed Max floor before fp2 ? it looked damaged in fp1, because Gasly faster than him in fp2