[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

RBR thought to be 0.2 seconds behind Mercedes until yesterday. Yesterday they were even a little faster.
These last two days there will be a major aero upgrade, which must be worth 0.3 sec.

Red Bull will aus den Daten der ersten drei Testtage errechnet haben, dass man bereinigt um die Faktoren Tankinhalt, Reifen und Motormodus zwei Zehntel hinter Mercedes liegt. „Am vierten Tag haben sogar wir etwas besser ausgeschaut", meinte Teamchef Christian Horner.

Red Bull setzt jetzt seine ganze Hoffnung auf das große Aero-Paket, das in den letzten beiden Tagen in Barcelona den ersten Praxistest absolvieren soll. Neu sind der Frontflügel, der Kapuzenflügel, der Unterboden, die Bargeboards und die Leitbleche vor den Seitenkästen.
Angeblich soll das Upgrade drei Zehntel wert sein.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/red-bull-upgrad e-f1-test-barcelona-2020/
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98
McMika98

Maplesoup wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 09:52

When the team is trying to find the very limits of the car during testing do you hand that bit of driving to the guy who has been with the team for quite a few years, or do you give it to the guy who joined halfway through last season?

Max will be tasked with finding the limits in setup, Albion needs to build his confidence with the car so will be doing the simpler testing most likely.
Every team and driver out there will be trying to find the limits at some point. So if the car is hard to control at full tilt then it will be problematic come quali.
Your second point is exactly why they need to give Albon ay least the same amount of time as Max. In factAlbon has matched Max for laptimes so it's not like they are really exploring the limit.

Funny how all the pundits are now saying how the Merc looks planted and the redbull edgy. I don't understand how some fans do not want to accept facts and weaknesses yet hold onto hope of mythical gains and improvements coming soon. These gains were supposed to be at the start of testing not Oz. Car is still sensitive to wind and still has rear instability issues, this should have been addressed by the first week.

Marti_EF3

I've a lot of videos of the RB16 to upload, hope it will be today. I've aprox 50gb of footage only from today :lol:

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:10
I've a lot of videos of the RB16 to upload, hope it will be today. I've aprox 50gb of footage only from today :lol:
Waiting for it

Marti_EF3

A first taste :roll:

Marti_EF3

A few on the S3 :roll: :shock:

Then few consecutive laps from the chicane (It was the same run)

More to come!!

JordanMugen

Godius wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 13:15
It seems like RP's Andrew Green was right about ditching the Red Bull high rake aero design philosophy, it comes with too much aero imbalance.
Only because of 2019 front wing rules. The approach was OK for many, many seasons before that. :wink:

Rules: The floor of your car must be flat (1983).
Newey: Then let's put the whole car at an angle of attack (to get more ground effect downforce).

The basic idea is quite clever, certainly many of the other cars in 2009 did not respond to the reduction in diffuser size with this idea... Becomingly particularly pertinent after the double-deck diffuser loophole was removed.

2009 Red Bull RB5
Last edited by JordanMugen on 27 Feb 2020, 22:14, edited 5 times in total.

Wouter

Guillaume Rocquelin, chief engineer at Red Bull Racing:

"Today we had pretty challenging conditions on the track because it was wet, cold and slippery in the morning and windy in the afternoon. I think it was easy to make mistakes and harm ourselves by either damaging the car or damaging things that we better could not have done because of the wind "

"We were a bit cautious today and that is reflected in the number of laps we have driven. We wanted to be sure that everything we did was sensible, both when it comes to Melbourne and when we are so close to doing it and not doing anything stupid. But also, when you test, you want to make sure you know what is going on. "

"We have done short runs and made changes that were appropriate to the circumstances, so that we would be sure to get the most out of the day."

"Tomorrow will be more or less a driving day for Max and Alex, so that they are fully informed and comfortable with the car, so that they know what to expect in Melbourne."
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 21:57
Guillaume Rocquelin, chief engineer at Red Bull Racing:

"Today we had pretty challenging conditions on the track because it was wet, cold and slippery in the morning and windy in the afternoon. I think it was easy to make mistakes and harm ourselves by either damaging the car or damaging things that we better could not have done because of the wind "

"We were a bit cautious today and that is reflected in the number of laps we have driven. We wanted to be sure that everything we did was sensible, both when it comes to Melbourne and when we are so close to doing it and not doing anything stupid. But also, when you test, you want to make sure you know what is going on. "

"We have done short runs and made changes that were appropriate to the circumstances, so that we would be sure to get the most out of the day."

"Tomorrow will be more or less a driving day for Max and Alex, so that they are fully informed and comfortable with the car, so that they know what to expect in Melbourne."
Ie. The drivers get a preview of the final package minus a few bits and the season opening Honda spec.
Saishū kōnā

bosyber
bosyber

Wouter wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 19:11
RBR thought to be 0.2 seconds behind Mercedes until yesterday. Yesterday they were even a little faster.
These last two days there will be a major aero upgrade, which must be worth 0.3 sec.

Red Bull will aus den Daten der ersten drei Testtage errechnet haben, dass man bereinigt um die Faktoren Tankinhalt, Reifen und Motormodus zwei Zehntel hinter Mercedes liegt. „Am vierten Tag haben sogar wir etwas besser ausgeschaut", meinte Teamchef Christian Horner.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/red-bull-upgrad e-f1-test-barcelona-2020/
To me, the quote by Horner could also say they were looking a bit better than 0,2s behind, but not ahead of Merc.; still it seems like a big update, and 0,3s would then indeed put them a bit ahead.

I have to admit that my feeling often is that AMuS is very close to Red Bull, which means they are well informed, but maybe also a bit into following their line of thinking more than dispassionately wise. I hope Red Bull and Mercedes are indeed that close, looking forward to more Verstappen/Hamilton on track!

Pyrone89

Officially getting worried now. Mercedes is clearly faster, has more laps, and in their quick runs intentionally seems to go slow in S3. Meanwhile the RB16 is the car with the most spins, and yet another spin here:
This is not a coincidence as it is consistently Red Bull and only sometimes others. So unless the wind is intentionally targeting Red Bull there are indeed issues with rear stability they aren't telling us, as I feared before.

We will know for sure in 2 weeks (if Corona doesn't mess it up).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill
Bill

Redbull needs to put more wing on the car and stop playing games. They won't spinning with old aero parts so they need to optimize the package.mercedes needs to get on top of reliability issues before I start to worry about them,it seems stem from everywhere mguh,oil pressure

Wouter

Pyrone89 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 13:48
Officially getting worried now.
Why sow such a panic? :)
RBR is still trying out small new parts. Everything will be fine.
The Power of Dreams!

Pyrone89

Wouter wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 14:04
Pyrone89 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 13:48
Officially getting worried now.
Why sow such a panic? :)
RBR is still trying out small new parts. Everything will be fine.
I like your confidence, but so far it looks a handful.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Marti_EF3

RB16 has a low DF setup, you clearly see it. They don't need times, they know what to test, and where they are. No need to show you or anyone where they are. If you're worried about spins going with low DF setup and windy conditions, well, be patient and wait until Melbourne. I will be more worried if I was Mercedes with all the engine issues they are having (and in cold weather conditions)

Many experts on track are saying the RB16 is well planted (even with a low DF setup!), so I'm not too much worried right now. On the fast runs RB are sandbagging on the last chicane, I'm just there, and you clearly can see and hear they are lifting throttle to mask times. Also they are taking an unideal line on T10 coming from the back straight, so more time here. I can clearly see they are not pushing, and I saw the Mercs pushing a bit more than the RB.

But well, all speculation and personal points of view... :roll: