[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
IvailoStefanovBG

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

RB and Honda clearly not pushing and why would they. I think they are a tenth or two from Mercedes. But who knows...RB stated that they are ready for this season like never before...

McMika98
McMika98

Max was clearly pushing that's how he damaged his wing and also spun twice. If they had the pace they would have shown it in race pace. The racing point in the hand of Stroll was as quick, just goes to show how good last years Merc was and how handful this years Redbull is to drive. Max had no problem with last years car, this year he has had more spins testing and now than anyone else.
I can't see them catching Merc, heck they seem to struggle with cool temp, so if there is a wet race this season, they will struggle.

HPD

Max: “Overall it was a positive day, the car was handling well and I’m pleased with the number of laps we did which is really important after such a long break.
"The lap times don’t really say anything because I broke my front wing on the push lap, so we had to fit a different wing. I think we were a little too aggressive for that and I had a spin and a little off, but nothing major. The kerbs are what they are here and it’s the same for everyone, the front wing doesn’t really like the yellow kerbs so we do have to be careful. We are I think confident and there are always things we can do better but overall it was a good day and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

Albon: "It’s been a long time since we did this amount of running so there’s a lot to look through now ahead of tomorrow. There are a couple of things we need to work on, and there’s always a bit of time in your driving and set-up, so we’ll see where we are tomorrow but we know what to do. You’ve got to build up to the limit here as the kerbs are dangerous and some of them can be front wing killers if you hit them too hard. But overall the car felt good, I feel good, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullr ... ustrian-gp

etusch

Racing Point is realy good and this shows us that it is not copy of last years mercedes. İt is last years mercedes. Money bought it.
Merc factory team generally starts to push from first lap and Honda is generally cautious at first days. I think we will see real order after qualification for this particular race.

Godius

HPD wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 20:47
Max: “Overall it was a positive day, the car was handling well and I’m pleased with the number of laps we did which is really important after such a long break.
"The lap times don’t really say anything because I broke my front wing on the push lap, so we had to fit a different wing. I think we were a little too aggressive for that and I had a spin and a little off, but nothing major. The kerbs are what they are here and it’s the same for everyone, the front wing doesn’t really like the yellow kerbs so we do have to be careful. We are I think confident and there are always things we can do better but overall it was a good day and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

How can he make a rookie mistake like this in a season in which RBR supposedly is a title contender? He should have been well aware to avoid the yellow baguette curbs her in Austria. In previous races here he had already broken his suspension on those curbs.

etusch

This is just fp session and a test as well. Because this car has updates. He will be careful about them tomorrow and after.

Pyrone89

So they are forced to run old wing because only new one is broken. Nice 🤭
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

McMika98
McMika98

Actually Albon did the sensible thing, he deliberately stayed away from the kerbs unlike some drivers pushing the limit from the get go.
Hoping that Merc were pushing the engines like they usually do on the first outing. Pole should be below 3second so plenty of time to find.

Wynters
Wynters

etusch wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 21:12
This is just fp session and a test as well. Because this car has updates. He will be careful about them tomorrow and after.
Surely better to have the best parts and setup for actual qualifying rather than lose them beforehand during a 'meaningless' session?

Still, I don't think it'll cost him. If they don't have a spare (and I suspect they'll get one overnight), he'll just use Albon's.

etusch

Of course it isn't look clever but I think he pushed by team decision to test something. Result was a risk materialized but not wanted.

HPD

I thought the team was going to be more concerned. But the team statements do not show it.

Zynerji

HPD wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 00:01
I thought the team was going to be more concerned. But the team statements do not show it.
They know there is more in hand.

Give the AI superclusters overnight to crunch the data with real time weather modeling, and they will all be 1s faster in FP3.

I think pole is 1:02.600ish.
Last edited by Zynerji on 04 Jul 2020, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

Laserguru

etusch wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 21:12
Max stated he tested the limits today so he didn’t have to do that tomorrow. Hamilton used that strategy in the past on many occasions, worked out fine for him. Better than testing the limits on Saturday with little time between practice and quali, as we remeber from Monaco.
Also their straight line speed was low today, he stated, so he was not worried about lap times tomorrow. Makes me believe they turned down the engine a lot today. That and testing all the updates.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

godlameroso

Godius wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 21:01
HPD wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 20:47

How can he make a rookie mistake like this in a season in which RBR supposedly is a title contender? He should have been well aware to avoid the yellow baguette curbs her in Austria. In previous races here he had already broken his suspension on those curbs.
He hasn't driven an F1 car in 5 months, like a rotor after a stormy night, it takes a little use to get the rust off.

Also, I really don't believe this year's car is only .06 seconds faster than last year on the same tires. There's more performance in the car for sure.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

Understanding the upgrades on track and then adjusting the car it may be a bit more tricky than other teams that more or less have the same car than in February. Maybe today we will se the fruits of yesterday testing all the new stuff. It's only a hope, but the RB16 has to be more faster, for sure