[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Neno
Neno

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 14:14
Neno wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 07:28
Renault is already gone ahead with full motion engine development of what was supposed to be 2021 engine. For again which was supposed to fit 2021 new reg cars. With complete redesign of cooling components. Not sure if Renault is interested in spending additional bucks in department which is not exactly problematic for them as problem lies in aero department. Could be wrong.
You'd acquire a guy like that to get Merc's PU secret sauce. Presuming all the stories that the PU is better are true. I mean you keep hearing it but I myself have never seen any proof. As far reliability the Renault is #1 this year.
Like I said Renault was, still is putting all significant resources into what was supposed to be new regs 2021 car (now 2022). It's one of reasons why they werent bringing engine updates specs this year. Because before Covid-19 (by rumors) new engine redesign was in full development which would then fit new car regs rules which required different cooling solutions and etc. Basically likely affect whole internal aero.

Now Renault may get forced to bring that next year as part of token system in place. And possibly test engine in a year ahead in this current chassis which will need to be used again. Overall I think they sorted out their engine situation in Viry with recent expenses and new dynos. (Again all preparations for 2021). And those investments already giving results as they sorted both power and reliability in last two years.

Do they need guy like him, likely not. They are more in need of getting aero department sorted out. But if he is free, I dont see how Renault at least doesnt put a offer. Which again doesnt mean guy will accept it or will mean Renault wasnt interested. But like I said Renault clearly has plans ready in motion for beyond 2021 engine development with him or not.

diffuser

Neno wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 17:56
diffuser wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 14:14
Neno wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 07:28
Renault is already gone ahead with full motion engine development of what was supposed to be 2021 engine. For again which was supposed to fit 2021 new reg cars. With complete redesign of cooling components. Not sure if Renault is interested in spending additional bucks in department which is not exactly problematic for them as problem lies in aero department. Could be wrong.
You'd acquire a guy like that to get Merc's PU secret sauce. Presuming all the stories that the PU is better are true. I mean you keep hearing it but I myself have never seen any proof. As far reliability the Renault is #1 this year.
Like I said Renault was, still is putting all significant resources into what was supposed to be new regs 2021 car (now 2022). It's one of reasons why they werent bringing engine updates specs this year. Because before Covid-19 (by rumors) new engine redesign was in full development which would then fit new car regs rules which required different cooling solutions and etc. Basically likely affect whole internal aero.

Now Renault may get forced to bring that next year as part of token system in place. And possibly test engine in a year ahead in this current chassis which will need to be used again. Overall I think they sorted out their engine situation in Viry with recent expenses and new dynos. (Again all preparations for 2021). And those investments already giving results as they sorted both power and reliability in last two years.

Do they need guy like him, likely not. They are more in need of getting aero department sorted out. But if he is free, I dont see how Renault at least doesnt put a offer. Which again doesnt mean guy will accept it or will mean Renault wasnt interested. But like I said Renault clearly has plans ready in motion for beyond 2021 engine development with him or not.

Hate to tell you this but cooling is chassis not PU. You get PU cooling requirements from the PU (Viry-Châtillon) but the how and where of the cooling is chassis (Enstone) Pat Fry. He would work at Viry-Châtillon side by side or under Remi Taffin.

Renault (Viry-Châtillon) has been on this 2 year PU cycle for a while now. Major upgrade is done by the R&D team, they hand over the project to sustaining that then goes out that year +1 with just fixing reliability. R&D continue it's development of the new PU. So IMHO the new PU was never scheduled for 2020.

Do they need Andy Cowell ? If it is true that he was the brains behind the Merc PU then I would say it would be dumb not to get him. He would have to be amoung the best in the buisness. I'd ask stuff like "why did he leave" "was he one of the best", "is he still very good" ... at Merc, etc etc etc.

You're not talking about a huge investiment here. My Guess, with the budgets coming into effect He was making more money than he was worth at Merc and they found that they had enough younger cheaper people that could replace him. Plus these PUs aren't gonna go much further than 2025.

With regards to aero they did hire "Dirk de Beer" last year. How good he is I don't know. He was gone from William in may 2018 so the 2019 Williams had nothing to do wth him. Judging by how litle the car changed from last year to this year. He's likely been working on the 2022 aero specs.

Neno
Neno

Its PU related. Because Renault is still stuck with their old air intake design from 4 years ago. Which creates additional drag issue for running maximum downforce packages. People forget they brought that airbox design because engine and cooling issues with reliability in first place. And because of design its now messing with their aero flow over rear wing in high speed corners. Not only their aero but CoG too.

diffuser

Neno wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 07:51
Its PU related. Because Renault is still stuck with their old air intake design from 4 years ago. Which creates additional drag issue for running maximum downforce packages. People forget they brought that airbox design because engine and cooling issues with reliability in first place. And because of design its now messing with their aero flow over rear wing in high speed corners. Not only their aero but CoG too.
McLaren changed their's. Same PU, 2 différent intakes.

Cooling is all chassis. You design the aero and stick the radiators where you want them for car balance and to meet your design requirements. The additional drag you're talking about is probably air flow under the cover. The air should pass under the cover freely to remove the heat. It should not act like a parachute. They probably have a design flaw internally that the flow isn't right.

Blackout

This is a constant since three seasons: maximum DF = problems for Renault*.

I would have been surprised if they had reached Q3 in Spain track, with these very tight gaps... It's the same story as Hungary, but Barcelona is worse on paper.

The maximum downforce package lacks efficiency. It produces too little DF and too much drag. And since drag is proportional to square of speed, it hurts more in Barcelona where the cornering speeds are higher and the straights are longer.

But why is it less efficient than its competitors, the Mclaren for example? (the team has been saying this since last year). The monocoque design with the central CCS - which are common to the RS.18, 19 and 20- is one of the possible explanations... viewtopic.php?p=910750#p910750

As the problem has remained in 2020 despite the deeply revised aero (nose and sidepods, less rake, front wing) the problem must be related to the things that haven't changed in 2020, the monocoque and the particular cooling system that would also impact the rear wing...
Maybe the beargeboard philosophy of Renault is too draggy too... I dunno

Progress has been made, but you can't improve everywhere while still having this (big) flaw... which they'll probably keep in 2021 because of the freezing...

*except Abu Dhabi and Singapore because they are rather slow and this generation of Renault cars isnt bad in the slow corners whatever the DF level is.

diffuser

I'm not gonna pretend to understand what their aero issues are but to your point their suspension seems excellent. Bodes well for new regs.
Last edited by diffuser on 29 Aug 2020, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

So did they get what they wanted?

Big Tea

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 21:17
So did they get what they wanted?
Hmmm, would it have anything to do with qualli modes I wonder???
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

I think it has to do with that there aren't really any rules against doing this. Nobody's done this before.

MadIggy
MadIggy

Or as it turns out very often in F1, there is some sort of negotiations going on in the background that will bring us a compromise.

gshevlin
gshevlin

I am quite sure that something has happened in the background that persuaded Renault to drop its appeal. Whenever something like this happens, after team principals have been out thumping the table in public and issuing barely coded threats, you can be sure that a private agreement has been reached.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

I bet something has gone on in the background.

chgarciasys

Ringleheim wrote:I bet something has gone on in the background.
I wonder why some people like you think like this about Renault.
Dozens of engine, team and driver's championships are nothing for you?

By the way... No doubt about an unknown agreement between Renault and Racing Point.
Let's find out later...

Enviado desde mi moto e(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

bucker
bucker

Yesss. Looks like there is massive improvement in performance since AnniversaryGP with new updates. Is it possible to achieve one podium this year?

JordanMugen

selvam_e2002 wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 16:05
RENAULT -- If you watched P3 Spain, Rosberg said Andy Cowell is free may be Renault can take him. Not sure but I have 100% confident Renault can procure him.
Cowell doesn't want to move to Italy, does he want to move to France (Viry factory)? :wink:

Viry operation is working well already anyhow. =D> Renault should try to pick up a customer team or two, maybe with some Dacia or Lada rebagding. :D