Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: Mercedes W11

With the single pylon RW support, you free up more flow to the rear and gain some aero performance, at the expense of having to reinforce the end plates and adding some weight to make the single support sufficiently robust.

Will be interesting to see which route they ultimately go.

De Jokke

Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

zibby43 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 22:44
With the single pylon RW support, you free up more flow to the rear and gain some aero performance, at the expense of having to reinforce the end plates and adding some weight to make the single support sufficiently robust.

https://cdn.the-race.com/wp-content/upl ... erc-rw.jpg
Wait, I thought the double pylon trend WAS all about AERO PERFORMANCE (supposedly better tilt control of the rear wing at high speed --> less drag), yes, it obviously comes at a cost of more airflow blockage, but the double pylon setup itself adds some extra weight relatively high up and outside of the wheelbase, so I don't get that side of the argument (is there any evidence of Mercedes bulking up the end-plates for the single support setup? Couldn't they just beef up their single pylon beam more?)

zibby43
zibby43

HungarianRacer wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 13:59
zibby43 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 22:44

https://cdn.the-race.com/wp-content/upl ... erc-rw.jpg
Wait, I thought the double pylon trend WAS all about AERO PERFORMANCE (supposedly better tilt control of the rear wing at high speed --> less drag), yes, it obviously comes at a cost of more airflow blockage, but the double pylon setup itself adds some extra weight relatively high up and outside of the wheelbase, so I don't get that side of the argument (is there any evidence of Mercedes bulking up the end-plates for the single support setup? Couldn't they just beef up their single pylon beam more?)
The double pylon helps flow to the underside of the wing a bit due to how it attaches.

Yes, Mercedes have run different end plates this second week of testing, including ones with less hanging vanes (more structural rigidity).

zibby43
zibby43

Great little interview with James Allison (thanks to peke_f1).

Interesting comment from Allison, when asked how he feels about the car compared to the end of testing last year: "We're more secure with our performance."

Part 2 (deals with testing recap, generally)

Part 1 (deals with DAS)

PlatinumZealot

The new journalist is asking the right questions.. But i fear for him lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:49
That's Sam Collins he wrote for racecar engineering for years before running in the last UK general election for the Lib Dems... he's now back reporting on cars :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

PlatinumZealot

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:49
That's Sam Collins he wrote for racecar engineering for years before running in the last UK general election for the Lib Dems... he's now back reporting on cars :lol:
Riiiight! He looks familiar!

James is like you're cutting too deep shorty!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:06
Great little interview with James Allison (thanks to peke_f1).

Interesting comment from Allison, when asked how he feels about the car compared to the end of testing last year: "We're more secure with our performance."

Part 2 (deals with testing recap, generally)

https://streamable.com/5zrqd

Part 1 (deals with DAS)

https://streamable.com/9eg3o
It's always a joy to listen to Allison. It seems like, he is not just a highly educated and accomplished engineer, but also very good at literature! He is more in the molds of Ross Brawn, who is extremely suave in his vocabulary and style of explaining things and very smart. Haven't seen many other like them.

pierrre
pierrre

a video on mercedes-amg w11 so far

Avocado
Avocado

Mercedes unsure if it will run DAS in early races
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ... :lol:

wesley123
wesley123

Avocado wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:24
Why, exactly?

They haven't used it all that often in testing either. afaik Bottas' fastest lap was without DAS. Outside of that, just like anytime anyone does anything interesting, it is interpreted as the holy grail, when no one has any idea how good it really is, or if it really has any actual use whatsoever.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GioKer32
GioKer32

wesley123 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:30
Avocado wrote:
Why, exactly?

They haven't used it all that often in testing either. afaik Bottas' fastest lap was without DAS. Outside of that, just like anytime anyone does anything interesting, it is interpreted as the holy grail, when no one has any idea how good it really is, or if it really has any actual use whatsoever.
During the second week of testing they started comparing consecutive laps in which the driver used or not the DAS to understand its true advantages, that's why I think they will continue trying it for few races, and then they'll decide if continue using it or not.
As I said sime days ago, it doesn't seem to be the "Holy grail" as it has been described from the other teams and media

matt_b
matt_b

Avocado wrote:
We don't know how much time it is actually worth track by track and it carries a weight penalty, media are overhyping this system like its a silver bullet but if it was then Mercedes would've definitely kept it quiet until Australia.

Giblet
Giblet

Tire management is the single most important thing to performance. Having the ability change toe angle on the fly will certainly give them more granular control over tire temps, longevity, and top speed.

As you said there is a weight penalty... which is actually a weight compromise.

Mercedes would not have put it on the car at all if it didn't net them a gain, and in a season where the tires are static compared to last year it could very well be a silver bullet.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute