Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
caesar1
caesar1

Re: Mercedes W11

Is this new TD a big deal? Doesn't seem this change would have a big impact on performance or am I wrong?

SiLo

Probably a mild inconvenience for Mercedes really. They should be able to keep the duct but might have to cover it so the opening is in the correct place.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

caesar1 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 13:41
Is this new TD a big deal? Doesn't seem this change would have a big impact on performance or am I wrong?
Depends on whether the hole in question helps with rear wheel/tyre temps. It probably does help with rear rim cooling and so might affect rear tyre life/performance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gandharva

The yellow part could also be above 160mm. I think that's why the AMUS article is also mentioning RP. RP20 has closed the V-shaped slot but also features the other one.

matt_b
matt_b

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 13:14
RZS10 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 13:10
Isn't this a similar solution to what they had last season where the FIA said the solution was legal?
Wonder when exactly they published that TD but as it looks they left Merc in the belief that the solution was fine only to ban it just in time for the first race ....
From what I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) Red Bull queried this, which led to the TD being issued. So perhaps they picked strategically the best time to lodge their query to cause the most inconvenience. Excellent gamesmanship if so!
Im pretty sure Mercedes would've anticipated this when the part was in development and they have an alternative ready to bolt on, these big teams have so much resource nowadays which is why many want the budget caps brought in to stop this.

Mattchu

The rule states no ducts >160mm from the wheel centreline then I would think the small opening on the cake tin of the RP and Merc should be alright. The top of the duct on the arm, looks like it just goes over.

Rear disc brakes @278mm so lets add on 10mm for the tin [288], half of that is only 144mm so still 16mm to play with. Looks like the brake tin duct is probably right at the limit and the suspension arm duct goes maybe 5-10mm over, not sure how Mercedes thought they could get away with this [if it`s over 160mm] but then again they probably have something else in the pipeline to cover it if needed!

izzy
izzy

Mattchu wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 15:01
The rule states no ducts >160mm from the wheel centreline then I would think the small opening on the cake tin of the RP and Merc should be alright. The top of the duct on the arm, looks like it just goes over.

Rear disc brakes @278mm so lets add on 10mm for the tin [288], half of that is only 144mm so still 16mm to play with. Looks like the brake tin duct is probably right at the limit and the suspension arm duct goes maybe 5-10mm over, not sure how Mercedes thought they could get away with this [if it`s over 160mm] but then again they probably have something else in the pipeline to cover it if needed!
i like your numbers :) And yes, perhaps there's a pink alternative version around somewhere they can bolt on instead

gandharva

And the next one.

Red Bull set to protest if Mercedes use DAS
“For us, the system does not comply with the rules,” Marko told F1-insider.com.

“So we will protest when Mercedes uses the system in Melbourne.”

This protest would come in the same week that Red Bull also raised a legality issue relating to Mercedes rear brake ducts. That has resulted in the FIA issuing a Technical Directive and forced Mercedes into making some last-minute changes to their W11.
https://www.planetf1.com/f1-races/austr ... cedes-das/

dren

As expected, DAS protest. I don't think it'll hold, though. It looks like the FIA has already blessed it and banned it for next year.
Honda!

Racer X

izzy wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 15:22
Mattchu wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 15:01

i like your numbers :) And yes, perhaps there's a pink alternative version around somewhere they can bolt on instead
:D You mean the Silver B spec. They just have to sand off a layer of paint.
Im sure they will be compliant by Melbourne tho.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gandharva wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 17:17
And the next one.

This protest would come in the same week that Red Bull also raised a legality issue relating to Mercedes rear brake ducts. That has resulted in the FIA issuing a Technical Directive and forced Mercedes into making some last-minute changes to their W11.
RedBull obviously reckon they are close enough to Mercedes, that the things they are querying might make the difference between RBR or Merc winning.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

Racer X wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 17:32
:D You mean the Silver B spec. They just have to sand off a layer of paint.
Im sure they will be compliant by Melbourne tho.
yes it's at times like this you need your mates :D. And yes they'll be compliant won't they, and at least it's at the back of the car so the aero cost shouldn't be too big hopefully

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 17:47
gandharva wrote:
And the next one.

RedBull obviously reckon they are close enough to Mercedes, that the things they are querying might make the difference between RBR or Merc winning.
Honestly I hope Merc crushes them just so we can see Marko have to eat his words.

I don't think the TD will be anything more than a minor annoyance. It will be just like when the TD came down that banned FRIC. People where saying that would make Merc ordinary and beatable, and in reality it made zero difference in the grand scheme of things.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

izzy wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 12:21
zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 08:55
Another nice top-down shot of the Merc, highlighting the packaging efforts, floor area, and slim nose:

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

via F1
Nice. It's a flying floor really :)

I'm not surprised F1 wanted to shorten them for next year, they could make them a bit narrower again too, they'd look a bit more rational. But this is just packed with cleverness isn't it, from the DAS to the aero rear suspension and imo a bit of rear steering, via the hot coolant and mini radiators and everything else
I like to call it the dance floor. :mrgreen:

And yes it is!

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 19:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 17:47
gandharva wrote:
And the next one.

Honestly I hope Merc crushes them just so we can see Marko have to eat his words.

I don't think the TD will be anything more than a minor annoyance. It will be just like when the TD came down that banned FRIC. People where saying that would make Merc ordinary and beatable, and in reality it made zero difference in the grand scheme of things.
Yes, the other alternative is, RB is desperately protesting/querying so the gap isn't 1s in AUS like it was last year.