COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 10:23
turbof1 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 09:19

One thing it seems to lack though is a proper model for people who become immune after infection. Those people don't need to adhere to lockdown protocols as they can't be a vector anymore for the virus, and so can be put full time again into the economy.
They can still be a vector by carrying the virus on their hands etc. from place to place. They would still need to observe things like hand washing to limit spread, even if they might not be coughing the virus in to the atmosphere around uninfected people.

Getting such messages across would be important to ensure the spread wasn't suddenly increased again by "casual behaviour".
Good point. I did think about that myself, but didn't mention it which I should have.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 01:11
By the time I could write that that would never happen for a number of reasons,, the union backlash for one.... the fact that they could walk out and get another job in a heart beat for another and the fact that Alteon being doctor owned knew the Sh*t Storm this would create for another .. along with horrible PR..This came out:
Alteon Health rolled back cuts to vacation and retirement benefits for emergency room doctors and medical professionals after ProPublica’s reporting
I suspect a stupid idea put forth by a bean counter that got out before the brass could stifle it.
That's good news, strad. Hopefully it was someone being morally correct rather than just reacting to the bad PR and reversing the decision to look good. Either way, well done to them for paying the staff fully.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 11:42
strad wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 01:11
By the time I could write that that would never happen for a number of reasons,, the union backlash for one.... the fact that they could walk out and get another job in a heart beat for another and the fact that Alteon being doctor owned knew the Sh*t Storm this would create for another .. along with horrible PR..This came out:
Alteon Health rolled back cuts to vacation and retirement benefits for emergency room doctors and medical professionals after ProPublica’s reporting
I suspect a stupid idea put forth by a bean counter that got out before the brass could stifle it.
That's good news, strad. Hopefully it was someone being morally correct rather than just reacting to the bad PR and reversing the decision to look good. Either way, well done to them for paying the staff fully.
It would be highly perverse if they cut their wages. Doctors from across the globe are given a 60k paycheck if they come to the US to deal with the corona virus, yet the local medical staff should be swallowing a pay cut?

To be honest, morally speaking these people deserve a fat bonus for putting their lives on the line.
#AeroFrodo

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Since every country is counting amount of corona deaths on a different way, maybe we could compare total death numbers per country. Netherlands statistics office made a prognosis for 4300 deaths in week 13, 23-29th March. The average is about 3200.

1100 deaths over 17m inhabitants.

Can anyone find such info for their country?

e30ernest
e30ernest

Not sure if this was posted here,
NYC will change how it's counting deaths:

https://gothamist.com/news/death-count- ... irmed-ones

henry

NL_Fer wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 12:12
Since every country is counting amount of corona deaths on a different way, maybe we could compare total death numbers per country. Netherlands statistics office made a prognosis for 4300 deaths in week 13, 23-29th March. The average is about 3200.

A rough and ready reckoner is 25xpopulation-millions gives average deaths per day.

So Netherlands 25x17 = 425 per day or 2925 per week.

UK 25x66 = 1650/day, 11550/week

This works for most Western Countries.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

aral
aral

There is absolutely no way to believe that a virus will conform to an algorithm ! My own country should ...by your calculations...have 125 deaths in a day. we have around 25 max as of yeasterday ! and renmember, these are deaths where covid 19 is a CONTRIBUTING factor, and is not the actual CAUSE of death.
Different countries have different ways of dealing with the virus, so there will be no consistency with numbers....anywhere ! Compare China with Spain or Italy , and you will see

henry

aral wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 13:38
There is absolutely no way to believe that a virus will conform to an algorithm ! My own country should ...by your calculations...have 125 deaths in a day. we have around 25 max as of yeasterday ! and renmember, these are deaths where covid 19 is a CONTRIBUTING factor, and is not the actual CAUSE of death.
Different countries have different ways of dealing with the virus, so there will be no consistency with numbers....anywhere ! Compare China with Spain or Italy , and you will see
I’m referring to the normal, regular, death rate that happens for all causes in a country. In your case 20% of what would be normal day would be attributable to C19. But it’s probably not normal and some proportion of those C19 deaths will be in excess of what is normal.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

strad

Can we stray into January to finish the season? There are all sorts of complications, as you can imagine, with that.
Why? Because of weather? That's why we should juggle the schedule. I remember snow in Monaco in 1998. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

NL_Fer wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 12:12

Try "worldometer" website. Go to corona virus... Then look in the table at "deaths per xx population"
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

henry

@NL_Fer.

I think I have already posted about the situation in the UK in regards to excess deaths. I misunderstood your question initially.

The post is here viewtopic.php?p=897863#p897863

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:28
Update from Brawn

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LVt4k.html
I'm surprised there isn't more of a conversation here discussing Brawn's comments. There is a lot of solid information there and we now know a lot more about what/how F1 is thinking.

Interesting that they are still contemplating as much as a 19 race season and that they are willing to race 3 weekends in a row with 1 off per month.

All personnel tested before the race, those with the virus don't go.

It's really just a question of when things have changed enough to get the season started.

Brawn predicated the 19 race season on an "early July" start.

I don't see that happening at all.

Maybe September? I do think we will get a season this year, with something quite a bit less than 19 races for sure.

FrukostScones

Ringleheim wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 02:24
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:28
Update from Brawn

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LVt4k.html
I'm surprised there isn't more of a conversation here discussing Brawn's comments. There is a lot of solid information there and we now know a lot more about what/how F1 is thinking.

Interesting that they are still contemplating as much as a 19 race season and that they are willing to race 3 weekends in a row with 1 off per month.

All personnel tested before the race, those with the virus don't go.

It's really just a question of when things have changed enough to get the season started.

I don't see that happening at all.

Maybe September? I do think we will get a season this year, with something quite a bit less than 19 races for sure.
they have to keep the banks happy.
no one knows atm when lockdowns and travel restrictions will ease.
Maybe it will be June or July already. Maybe end of the year or next spring...
So it is good to have a contngency plan for that, but travel restrictions will be the most difficult hurdle it seems.
Having the season extend into 2021 sounds wrong to me.
Double header weekends would be quite exciting...
But atm my money is on no GP this year. I could be wrong though.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sobering report from New York. I know some think this is a hoax of some form, but read this guy's morning. Note the bit about the volume of calls compared to 9/11.
Anthony Almojera is a senior paramedic in New York City. He has chronicled one day of his work, and we’ll be bringing you more of his story and those of other frontline workers over the weekend.

I start to hear the radio get busy around 07:00. We have already had more than 1,500 calls since midnight. I get called for the assignment - a cardiac arrest.

New York City has the busiest emergency medical services (EMS) system in the world - with about 4,000 calls a day on average. Sometimes you get a spike like with a heatwave or a hurricane, but the busiest day before this was 9/11. This is 9/11 call volume with patients every day.

We arrive at the house and I put on my mask, gown and gloves.

We find a man. His family says he has had a fever and cough for five days. We start CPR and I watch the medics pass a tube down his throat to breathe for him.

We work on him for about 30 minutes before we pronounce him dead. I make sure the crews are OK and get back in my truck - decontaminating everything first. I hit the button to go available.

Twenty minutes later, I get another cardiac arrest. Same symptoms, same procedures, same results.

Hit the button, get another one.

Hit the button after that, get another one.

It is now around 11:00 and I’ve done about six cardiac arrests.

In normal times, a medic gets two or three in a week, maybe. You can have a busy day sometimes, but never this. Never this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-5 ... type=share

This s**t is real.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ringleheim wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 02:24

It would be a nice symmetry if F1 started the season at Silverstone in July. A bit of "history repeating".

Not sure it will happen, however.