COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 21:47
the country with the least problem from covid 19, is Germany, so why not consider Germany, which has two suitable circuits?
I assume you're deliberately missing the point. It's not about going to a country that has a low COVID issue. It's about the fewest people moving country to country.

If the UK has most F1 teams then it makes sense not to export the risk to another country. Would Germany be happy for several hundred people coming from two higher risk countries? Especially when Germany doesn't even have a race this year. Think about it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 22:20
One astonishing part of who is 'susceptible' is that men seem 3 times as likely as women.
There is also a penalty' with higher body mass, so maybe tied in here.

Seems we need thin teenage women to have the best chance :mrgreen:
some of it is the extra X chromasome but i think most of it is smoking, as that data started in China. tho yes being fit and lean helps even if unluckily you're doomed to being a man :) . Work your aerobics every day. But if anyone does get it you should exercise your lungs and LIE ON YOUR FRONT:

1. SIT UPRIGHT:
[DeepBreath + Hold 5sec] x 5
[DeepBreath + CoughIntoCloth] x 1
Repeat a 2nd time.

2. LIE ON STOMACH:
[Breath slightly deeper than normal]
Continue for 10 min.

3. REPEAT REGULARLY.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 22:39
"One astonishing part of who is 'susceptible' is that men seem 3 times as likely as women."

Where have you got that figure from? General consenus from figures of various countries, is that the figure is actually 50 50 but with a slight leaning towards males.
Men have a significant chance of dying from COVID-19, that's for definite. About a 50% greater chance.

aral
aral

It is yourself who is missing the point ! There is no standing for opting to use the UK because most teams are based there. A country that has good control of the virus is a far safer place for the teams than the UK which is not doing the best of jobs minimising the spread. Any chance of getting all teams to participate in racing, would be to hold a race in a neutral country. The Brits wont want to go to Italy, and the Italian , Austrian teams wont want to come to UK.

Anyway, you are getting up tight about something that wont in all possibilty, happen.

And as for your latest comment....sorry, but that is ridiculous. Figures show 50 /50.

Big Tea

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 22:39
"One astonishing part of who is 'susceptible' is that men seem 3 times as likely as women."

Where have you got that figure from? General consenus from figures of various countries, is that the figure is actually 50 50 but with a slight leaning towards males.
Not exactly sure where I got it, but it is corresponding in a few different Googles.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronav ... -men-women is one

(guys, don't go nicking your wives pill, it is just a thought )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

aral wrote:
I believe that the bestr that we can hope for is a series of non-championship races where new ideas could be tried. But change the entire format of the agreed championship, and there will be considerable opposition from various teams
I have to agree with this. Money can be sorted out by the FIA but I'm really starting to doubt having 8 races. I believe 8 is what the FIA lays out as the minimum required.
Also any changes have to agreed upon by all the teams and we've seen that they can't come to total agreement on anything. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 22:50
It is yourself who is missing the point ! There is no standing for opting to use the UK because most teams are based there. A country that has good control of the virus is a far safer place for the teams than the UK which is not doing the best of jobs minimising the spread. Any chance of getting all teams to participate in racing, would be to hold a race in a neutral country. The Brits wont want to go to Italy, and the Italian , Austrian teams wont want to come to UK.
He made a good point. It doesn't matter what the host country is doing. It is about who brings the virus to that country.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 22:50

And as for your latest comment....sorry, but that is ridiculous. Figures show 50 /50.
Evidence please.
However in all countries, the majority of people dying from COVID-19 are men (indicated in yellow). In South Korea, for example, while men make up 40% of confirmed cases, they account for 53% of deaths. In Ireland, so far men make up 48% of confirmed cases but 69% of deaths.

The second chart compares the mortality rate (here taken as the proportion of deaths among confirmed cases) in women and men. In the countries where data is available, it appears that in every country, men are more likely than women to die from COVID-19. In most countries, available data indicates that men have been 50-80% more likely to die following diagnosis than women.
https://globalhealth5050.org/covid19/

SEX
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Male
4.7%
2.8%
Female
2.8%
1.7%
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/
Death rate of confirmed COVID-19 cases Men 4.7%, Women 2.7%

If that's 50/50 then that's some strange maths you're using.

henry

I’ve seen it reported that Google and Apple are coordinating to build low power, anonymised, contact tracing into Android and IOS. As I understand it, when fully embedded it would automatically enrol anyone with up to date software into the scheme. That’s a lot of people and would potentially make world wide contact tracing feasible potentially opening up international travel, which is a prerequisite for the F1 community.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/212 ... g-data-app
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

izzy
izzy

henry wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 10:02
I’ve seen it reported that Google and Apple are coordinating to build low power, anonymised, contact tracing into Android and IOS. As I understand it, when fully embedded it would automatically enrol anyone with up to date software into the scheme. That’s a lot of people and would potentially make world wide contact tracing feasible potentially opening up international travel, which is a prerequisite for the F1 community.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus ... .36_PM.png

Nice! It's cool that Apple and Google are working together. I'll certainly download it when it's ready, but i can imagine there'll be loads of disinformation about tracking, even tho it's Bluetooth and doesn't. Then when it's built into the os it'll be part of how to get out of lockdown so i hope people generally embrace it

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

henry wrote:

Pretty clever, but I hope they can add some features so that any “infection alert” can be verifiable with a authorized health institute. To prevent any pranks or false positives.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 17:39
Silverstone makes the only sense if they are going for a "lock us away and we'll do a load of races at one track" approach. More than half of the grid is already in the UK. Anywhere else requires the majority (if they race in Italy) / all (if they race anywhere else) of the teams to change countries.
I don’t think t lock them up at a single track. But you could isolate them for every 3 races, only to be allowed on the track or in the hotel, with dedicated transport. Local staff has to leave the track or hotel when the F1 crew arrives.

But what do we do with the drivers? Normaly they go home between races. It would be better to keep them within the F1 crew and take their training equipment with them.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 13:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 17:39
Silverstone makes the only sense if they are going for a "lock us away and we'll do a load of races at one track" approach. More than half of the grid is already in the UK. Anywhere else requires the majority (if they race in Italy) / all (if they race anywhere else) of the teams to change countries.
I don’t think t lock them up at a single track. But you could isolate them for every 3 races, only to be allowed on the track or in the hotel, with dedicated transport. Local staff has to leave the track or hotel when the F1 crew arrives.

But what do we do with the drivers? Normaly they go home between races. It would be better to keep them within the F1 crew and take their training equipment with them.
Ok, look at it from the personnel issue - lock up teams in hotels for three weeks at a time just so we can watch some cars drive round a track.

That's not humane, really, is it?

They need either to be able to move around or they don't go at all.

henry

Apart from the F1 Teams and FOM/FIA personnel needed for a race there’s also the track marshals, typically local and volunteers. One might imagine that FOM would need to create a pool of semi-permanent staff to perform those duties subject to the same lockdown rigours as the team. And there are others, camera crew, help pilots ( maybe optional) people looking after food and hygiene etc.

But the most difficult issue is likely to be medical staff. When, eventually, a nation reduces the need for medical interventions to some manageable level there will be a whole medical service exhausted by months of toil. I’m not sure they’d be anxious to provide cover.

A more likely approach will involve rigorous contact tracing and until that is feasible I don’t think we’ll see races even behind closed doors.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 13:08
henry wrote:

Pretty clever, but I hope they can add some features so that any “infection alert” can be verifiable with a authorized health institute. To prevent any pranks or false positives.
A system might be put in place that only allows authorised healthcare organisations to upload the infected keys to the database, which could be read only for everyone else. Shouldn’t be too difficult.