2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

I don't put any faith in that, last year those same graphs showed Ferrari ahead of everyone and we all know how that played out. We haven't seen RB16's true pace, we haven't even seen the final chassis yet. Mercedes showed their hand, and frankly from what I know to be true, the gap hasn't increased, it's actually gotten smaller, this is worst case scenario. Ferrari is also hiding their pace, all their talk is just that, they are closer than last year as well as RB. Bring on Q3.
Saishū kōnā

djos

I personally think Renault is the dark horse this year. When they finally did a glory run in testing, the time was excellent so I think the car is much improved over last year. Plus they have two very fast and very motivated drivers. I think they'll be able to compete for semi-regular podiums this year and maybe even steal 1 or 2 race wins.
"In downforce we trust"

mkay
mkay

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 02:16
I don't put any faith in that, last year those same graphs showed Ferrari ahead of everyone and we all know how that played out. We haven't seen RB16's true pace, we haven't even seen the final chassis yet. Mercedes showed their hand, and frankly from what I know to be true, the gap hasn't increased, it's actually gotten smaller, this is worst case scenario. Ferrari is also hiding their pace, all their talk is just that, they are closer than last year as well as RB. Bring on Q3.
Mercedes has showed their hand? Wait, what?

You talk a big game with regards to 2020 top teams performance across different threads but you’re very limited on actual substance.

For the record, I don’t think we know the full picture at all. None of the top teams was really giving it all. Long run pace may favour Mercedes slightly but we will get clarity in 96 hours or so.

godlameroso

mkay wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 03:30
godlameroso wrote:

You talk a big game with regards to 2020 top teams performance across different threads but you’re very limited on actual substance.

For the record, I don’t think we know the full picture at all. None of the top teams was really giving it all. Long run pace may favour Mercedes slightly but we will get clarity in 96 hours or so.
Yeah 15.7 if we estimate for max engine power, becomes a 14.8 + .4 for the difference between C5 and C3 tire, for a potential best lap time of 15.2. They showed their hand.

For Melbourne I can see Hamilton capable of a 1:20.1, I don't think we'll see sub 1:20. I expect RB 16 to match that lap time.

Frankly I don't care if you believe me or not, I'm not here to convince you, we'll let the facts sort themselves out.
Saishū kōnā

holeindalip
holeindalip

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 03:44
mkay wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Yeah 15.7 if we estimate for max engine power, becomes a 14.8 + .4 for the difference between C5 and C3 tire, for a potential best lap time of 15.2. They showed their hand.

For Melbourne I can see Hamilton capable of a 1:20.1, I don't think we'll see sub 1:20. I expect RB 16 to match that lap time.

Frankly I don't care if you believe me or not, I'm not here to convince you, we'll let the facts sort themselves out.
ill be waiting patiently to see you proven wrong :D :D :D

zibby43
zibby43

None of the top 3 teams, including Mercedes, showed their full hand in testing.

Vettel's quote at the end of the second week of testing helps to illustrate the point that Merc never really even pushed:

"If you look right now I’d say Mercedes is at the top just because, they are, every time they go out, fairly quick with ease whereas others, I think need to stretch a bit more."

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 05:44

Vettel's quote at the end of the second week of testing helps to illustrate the point that Merc never really even pushed:

"If you look right now I’d say Mercedes is at the top just because, they are, every time they go out, fairly quick with ease whereas others, I think need to stretch a bit more."
NO. Everyone has shown their hand except Red Bull. First Red Bull has to show theirs and then Verstappen will show his. For whatever reason, if Red Bull doesn't manage to show their hand in Melbourne, wait for Spec 3 to come out and then you would see. If even that somehow doesn't pull out Red Bull's hand, then there would be a new Fuel somewhere down the line that would lubricate the hand to then come out.

godlameroso

holeindalip wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 05:21
godlameroso wrote:
mkay wrote:

I mean you can check my track record. Ttrust me though, by saying something so petty, you can rest assured you'll never hear the end of it if I'm right.
Saishū kōnā

bosyber
bosyber

Well, I hope it will be close, but the other teams do think Mercedes were never runningvery light (but RedBull a bit lighter in their last half an hour), so I will not be surprised if it isn't.

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

holeindalip wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
mkay wrote:

On the other hand if you are correct, that would be amazing and you'd get plenty street cred. Want to have a go at a Ferrari time?

zibby43
zibby43

GPR-A wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 06:32
zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 05:44

If even that somehow doesn't pull out Red Bull's hand, then there would be a new Fuel somewhere down the line that would lubricate the hand to then come out.
:lol: =D>

With all the scary stuff and negative stuff going on in the world right now, I thoroughly enjoyed the lol moment that line provided.

etusch

dans79 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 23:32
etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 23:05
Do you think that we can not see reliability at tests?
So what is reason of those 6 days they are not showing us anything? Isn't there any meaning of Alpha tauri's one engine finish?
Not directly no, because we don't know how over or under cooled the PU's might have been in testing.
They are testing Engine too, so they must simulate real conditions to get accurate data. I am sure that teams uses all pu modes during testing.

etusch

holeindalip wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
mkay wrote:

Today sun rised from east, just like yesterday and I guess it will rise from east tomorrow

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

ubuysa wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 13:34
Autosport has an article that says that 'the Ferrari and Alpha Tauri cars and equipment are on their way from the airport' (in Melbourne) and that 'the personnel are on the planes'....

"Not a chance" Australian F1 GP will be run without fans https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB10WcYg?m=en-gb& ... InAppShare
Autosport also said that Ferrari's factory is in Lombardy!

"In recent days Ferrari has been the focus of concerns about the opening races of the season going ahead because of a lockdown in parts of Italy - including the Lombardy province where its Maranello base is - with 16 million people under strict quarantine until at least 3 April."

Don't believe everything you read!

:lol:

mkay
mkay

godlameroso wrote:
mkay wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

You’re making a lot of assumptions and passing them off as facts. That’s arrogance.

You basically expect Merc to have only gained 2 tenths against the 2019 Spain-spec car. I get that you’re a Honda/RB fan, but that’s a tad wishful.