[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi, maybe someone of us could be interested in this web meeting:

https://www.foamacademy.com/gofun/

Our big boss André (LDVH) will talk about our challenge and OpenFOAM simulation on April 22th from 15:00
Registration open until 20.04.2020 (today) !

machin

Hi Joe, Yeah, it would be clearer to say;
Joe7218 wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 07:49
"6.1.3 Must be located within the bodywork volume at a point 1540mm rearward of the FWCL, and more than 700mm above the reference plane.”
On my car the lower edge is at 733mm above the reference plane.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Joe7218
Joe7218

machin wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 11:50
Hi Joe, Yeah, it would be clearer to say;
Joe7218 wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 07:49
"6.1.3 Must be located within the bodywork volume at a point 1540mm rearward of the FWCL, and more than 700mm above the reference plane.”
On my car the lower edge is at 733mm above the reference plane.
Alright cool that makes more sense, thanks! :)

machin

Joe7218 wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 11:53
Alright cool that makes more sense, thanks! :)
No worries, if you (or anyone else) has queries like that please ask and I will try and do a rules page update to add clarifications like that. 👍👍👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

etsmc
etsmc

Anyone else had issues downloading the CFD parts in STL format? tried doing it from the challenge site but seems to be a dead link, would anyone have the files they could send me?

etsmc
etsmc

etsmc wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 01:21
Anyone else had issues downloading the CFD parts in STL format? tried doing it from the challenge site but seems to be a dead link, would anyone have the files they could send me?
Dont worry found them hidden away from last year.. First simulation is now running :)

yinlad

EDIT: Removed because I was wrong and stupid :wtf:
MVRC - Panthera

yinlad

etsmc wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 06:24
etsmc wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 01:21
Dont worry found them hidden away from last year.. First simulation is now running :)
Good luck!
MVRC - Panthera

AratzH

AratzH wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 15:56
I tried the new version and the post processing pictures still go into the root folder, one level up from the case folder.
Also, for some reason sometimes I get the U_nearWalls VTK and pictures but other not. Apparently there is some error while sampling some parts:
Time = 2500

Reading fields:
volScalarFields: static(p)_coeff total(p)_coeff
volVectorFields: U

Executing functionObjects
--> FOAM Warning :
From function void Foam::mappedPatchBase::calcMapping() const
in file mappedPatches/mappedPolyPatch/mappedPatchBase.C at line 604
Did not find 24052 out of 23575 total samples. Sampling these on owner cell centre instead.
On patch wheel_fl on region region0 in mode nearestCell
with offset mode normal. Suppressing further warnings from mappedPatchBase
[9] Generating stack trace...

Any ideas?
Regarding this error a few comments. By mistake I run another case using the carCoarse template (bad idea, results will be very different) and the post processing completed all the steps without error, but pictures still went into the root folder and no report was generated.
Also, I found another bug where if I choose 28 processors in mflow it will set up the case to run in 36. It's not the end of the world since I can manually change it before running, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
MVRC -> TF

spacehead3

Hey all. Car is coming along well, having a fun time working on this. Would someone be able to tell me the porous media coefficients? Thanks!
Max Taylor

LVDH

Yesterday night, I uploaded a new MFlow version. It fixes issues involving the strange behavior you have seen in Windows. You should now be able to start the simulation through the GUI again and the post-processing images get put into the correct folder again.
The fix killed something else though, that I had to deactivate. The terminal output from the mesher and cfd solver does not get piped into the MFlow GUI anymore (for now). This means that you will have to take care and check for yourself if the simulation is still running.

Joe7218
Joe7218

Finally managed to produce decent downforce and low drag and my cooling decides to not work :( really makes you appreciate how everything on the car affects the air flow

jjn9128

Joe7218 wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 11:59
Finally managed to produce decent downforce and low drag and my cooling decides to not work :( really makes you appreciate how everything on the car affects the air flow
I've found unloading the inboard portion of the front wing really helps cooling, obviously leaving enough for the y250. Especially as the front suspension members can't be angled to clean their wake. You lose front downforce though.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wb92

Last year I mentioned once, with these cars it's like that:
downforce/balance/cooling -> one can choose only 2 :P

The story continues... also in my case.
MVRC - WBRacing

Joe7218
Joe7218

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 12:22
Joe7218 wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 11:59
I've found unloading the inboard portion of the front wing really helps cooling, obviously leaving enough for the y250. Especially as the front suspension members can't be angled to clean their wake. You lose front downforce though.
thanks for the tip!
I'm pretty certain I'm not getting as much cooling flow as I need because one of my main bargeboard elements is stalled and preventing som air from entering some sidepods. Once I fix that I should be getting good cooling again.

Heres my sneak-peek :)