[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

CAEdevice wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 10:51
Hi, just another question about the rules: can I submit the car I used in the last 2019 race? Would it be fully compliant?
I just checked the scrutineering from the last round, and yes you had no problems then, and since we've not changed the rules at all, your car from the last round would be fully compliant for this year. :D
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 16:09
CAEdevice wrote:
Hi, just another question about the rules: can I submit the car I used in the last 2019 race? Would it be fully compliant?
I just checked the scrutineering from the last round, and yes you had no problems then, and since we've not changed the rules at all, your car from the last round would be fully compliant for this year. :D
That is good news for me. I think I will subscribe as soon as possible, probably using that car or a very similar one for the first race. Thanks!

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
I would not say that using the same car will guarantee a legal car. We could have missed something the last time which might catch our eyes this time.
However, we did not change any rules, so you should be pretty good to go.

LVDH

So, I have been able to reproduce some of the issues Variante has reported to me. It is possible that the MFlow post-processing dumps the images and so on into the wrong destination. I will have to investigate this and it might take a while as it is a bit strange for the software to not find the correct folder but simply choose a different one.
Has nobody else seen this? Do you all get a normal report and the images are in postProcessing/PICs?

Joe7218

LVDH wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 10:47
So, I have been able to reproduce some of the issues Variante has reported to me. It is possible that the MFlow post-processing dumps the images and so on into the wrong destination. I will have to investigate this and it might take a while as it is a bit strange for the software to not find the correct folder but simply choose a different one.
Has nobody else seen this? Do you all get a normal report and the images are in postProcessing/PICs?
my post processing images go into the folder where the case folder is located. Eg i have it setup mvrc->teamlogozzo->input->geometry... and my images go into the root mvrc folder

jjn9128

LVDH wrote:
Can confirm post proc images all go in root directory.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:47
LVDH wrote:
I can confirm too. Not a big deal for me.
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 09:30
CAEdevice wrote:
I would not say that using the same car will guarantee a legal car. We could have missed something the last time which might catch our eyes this time.
However, we did not change any rules, so you should be pretty good to go.
Ok, this is correct.

Joe7218

Do you guys have any tips to reduce drag? that is where I am struggling the most at the moment.

Koldskaal

Joe7218 wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 02:08
Do you guys have any tips to reduce drag? that is where I am struggling the most at the moment.
For me smoothing edges is a big one. It is great because it is "free" ie you don't remove downforce. If you need more, then remove/reduce gurney flaps look at reducing wings.

Reducing drag by 0.1 will usually improve laptime more than increasing downforce by 0.1. But it is often possible to improve downforce significantly with little to no increase in drag. So downforce is "easier" than drag. I would compare figures to the ones from COTA last year and see if drag is still a problem :D
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

jjn9128

Joe7218 wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 02:08
Depends what you classify as struggling. Some leaders from last year had way more drag than I would consider acceptable but their downforce was great. I'm aiming for ~1.3 but anything under 1.4 is acceptable assuming I can get an L/D >2.

If you split your car into lots of individual parts you can see more specifically where drag is being produced. E.g. I have my top body split into "chassis" and "sidepod" and I see I get thrust (and a bit of lift) from my sidepods.

I'd then echo koldskaal - smooth edges and check for separation behind wings and suspension in the Y slices.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

LVDH

wb92 wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 14:35
jjn9128 wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:47
LVDH wrote:
I can confirm too. Not a big deal for me.
This is a big deal to me. I took the last few days off and actually did almost nothing in front of a computer. I will try to fix this odd big tomorrow evening. The good news is that I can reproduce it, so it should be solvable. When it is done, you will get the full CFD report as html file, which you can then conveniently view in your browser. When you then understand what you are missing out on, you might think that is was a bigger deal than you believe right now.

Salamander

Hey guys,
I'm a new team and I would like to ask some advise on airfoil design and analysis.
My plan was to design the individual airfoils and make a selection and design for a multi element wing.
After that a 2D simulation to get a first result and that is where I'm currently stuck.
I've tried by making the span of the wing wide enough for the tunnel so that I can see how the wing is performing, so it is essentially a 3D simulation of a 2D profile.
Have any of you guys done 2D (3D) airfoil analysis or just design the whole car and see how the wing is doing and reiterate from there.
If someone has some advise on this, that would be great.
Thanks in advance. I'm having an amazing time with this project.

jjn9128

Salamander wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 10:15
I would say there's enough 3-d about the flow, of the front wing in particular, that's it's not worth the time on 2-d simulations. The rear wing will then have a vertical component in the flow leading up to it so your 2-d won't necessarily translate.

There was a bit of talk of wing design in the 2019 thread. Which might be a good start point.

If you really want to do it. There's a tutorial in openfoam for 2-d wing which I'd suggest copying.
#aerogandalf

Salamander

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 11:55
Salamander wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 10:15

I would say there's enough 3-d about the flow, of the front wing in particular, that's it's not worth the time on 2-d simulations. The rear wing will then have a vertical component in the flow leading up to it so your 2-d won't necessarily translate.
There was a bit of talk of wing design in the 2019 thread. Which might be a good start point.

If you really want to do it. There's a tutorial in openfoam for 2-d wing which I'd suggest copying.
Thanks! I will check it out