Canadian GP: Montoya vs Rosberg

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who was at fault?

Poll ended at 02 Jul 2006, 11:50

Rosberg
45%
Montoya
55%

Total votes: 29

jgredline

I just got back from the GrandPrix and it was awsome.
I look forward to this coming weekend for the U.S. grand prix
As for this accident, the crash started out earlier when Nico blew the chicane.
Nico Looked like a fish out of water and to see him drive was like he was out of control all weekend. Since there was low grip the good drivers really shined. As much as I hate to admit it seeing it up close and personal Kimi, Shuey and Alanso are trully in a leage of there own. It pains me deeply not have JPM in that list.
To finish first, first you must finish.

manchild
manchild

Throw him to the lions! :lol:

Scuderia_Russ

Montoya was at fault in my opinion. It's all very well saying he's a hard racer etc. but the guy was a bit of a menace yesterday. Forces Schuey off a corner and onto the grass (which isn't the race track)..... like Manchild said, pulls the optomistic move of the season on Rosberg resulting in the Williams in the wall..... then does everyone a favour by putting his car out of action after scraping the wall. :roll:
It makes me laugh when people sitting on their comfy armchairs with a Coke and a smile come out with gems like "Well Montoya's front wheel was alongside the Williams by over fifty percent of its lengh." What a load of crap! Do you think Rosberg should be more worried about getting through the corner as accurately and as quickly as possible, braking, flicking down the gears, hitting his apex etc, etc. Or should he be looking in his mirrors trying to decide whether Montoya's wheel is further enough alongside his sidepod for Rosberg to have to yield his position..... all in the space of half a second? You do the maths!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild
manchild

Indeed, JPM's car reached over fifty percent of Nico's car because JPM made a mistake not because he was in that position deliberately. Before he realised that he is going too fast and hit the brakes he wasn't in position to call upon 50% rule at all. Just like Hill in 1995.

tomazy
tomazy

http://www.motorsportmediamulti.com/mat ... rashes.avi

here is the video of the incident i think it was montoyas fault

NickT

Monsta Montoya looks like a man fighting for his survival and making a lot of mistakes when he really needs to be shining to attract a new seat. He seams down cast and lack luster at the moment and it shows in his driving.
NickT

jgredline

Last year for the second part of the season, JPM had the measure of Kimi.
He was actually quicker most of the time. As soon as alonso was sighned, he new he was gone and killed his confidence. I believe that JPM still has it in him, but he needs to feel wanted. He is lacking confidence and it shows. He is not getting the good engines, he is not getting the latest car tweaks and they use him to experiment new aero parts with that don't work.
Now these are my opinions and speculation based on interviews and post race comments.
Flavio, said this weekend that if JPM or who ever gets the other seat at Renault they will have equal status, Implying that JPM was not getting fair treatment. Don't be surprised to see JPM in a renault
To finish first, first you must finish.

johny

great pic manchild, one pic is better than a thousand words. Everybody blamed Rosberg because he's the rookie but what should he have done leave the space and break to let monty agressive-insane drive style passing him?

he always think that the other guy would break

Ciro Pabón

johny wrote:great pic manchild, one pic is better than a thousand words. Everybody blamed Rosberg because he's the rookie but what should he have done leave the space and break to let monty agressive-insane drive style passing him?
But Jhonny, take a look at the exact same maneuver Coulthard made on Button 2 or 3 laps from the end. Did Jenson assume Coulthard did not exist? And Button was fighting (if weakly) for the "coveted" 8th position.

Objection! MC picture is after they have touched and Montoya had rapidly corrected, your honor. I ask for it to be stricken from the record. The smoke we see is because the front left wheel of my client's vehicle has been dangerously "touched" by the rear wheel of the car of the defendant.

And about Manchild implying somehow that I can have favoritisms, you all know those rude accusations, that some people throw around irresponsibly, about Latinos being too personal, nepotistic and sentimental are ... unfortunately true. :lol:

(turning to the jury)

I don't know about you, but here in Bogotá, the land of the true racers and the beautiful "señoritas", (official motto: "2.600 m closest to the stars"), when we do some karting with insane 16 year old boys and (maybe rarely) manage to put our car alongside, on the inner side of the straight before the apex, we think (maybe naively): I gotcha! If the young inane proto-pilot steers clearly into the path Newton dictated for you, we complain to his dad, if he happens to be around. Monty should have complained to Keke.

C'mon, Manchild, I have never "defended" any driver, not even Montoya. Or Alonso (ehem...). Of course, you all are blind (except jgredline, Tom and mep) and and I am the only one right here... :wink:

Oh, and BTW, zac510, I find that your appeals to reason are disgusting: we could try to find a middle road here... but we won't.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 27 Jun 2006, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

zac510
zac510

Great post Ciro :lol:

But my appeals to reason? I wanted 'racing incident' !

Ciro Pabón

zac510 wrote:Great post Ciro :lol:

But my appeals to reason? I wanted 'racing incident' !
I rest my case.
Ciro

zac510
zac510

I can't win with any response?

Woody
Woody

This may be a daft question, but why is montoya steering to the left and not away from the williams?

Tom

Thats the biggy. IMO the steering has literally been dragged to the left and Montoya can't straighten it, or possibly he is trying to make the corner and hasn't had time to correct yet of hes deliberatly trying to avoid the wall himself by leaning on Nico, and ineviatbly smashing him into it.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tom

F1.com, sorry Prinipessa:
Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren (DNF):
"That was a bit of a mess. I was battling with Nico Rosberg in the opening laps and was next to him, but then we touched. I thought I had damaged the nose and as the Safety Car came out I went into the pits. The team did a precautionary tyre change and changed my race strategy to give me the best chance of a strong finishing position. I had a good battle with DC and then with Ralf and was making progress. The car was great, but I was sliding quite a bit as I had lost a deflector and consequently was a bit light on downforce. I was trying to make up positions, but then I touched the wall and damaged the rear and that was the end of the race for me. It was a shame as I think we would have been competitive, but the incident with Rosberg really ruined things for me. There is no point in saying who is to blame. I now look forward to Indianapolis where hopefully our competitiveness will continue to improve."
Nico Rosberg, Williams (DNF):
“I claimed one place off the start and I thought that the car felt really good and we could possibly be in with a chance of some points today. I was aware Montoya was close behind me, but I knew I could defend my position as the car was really good on the brakes. I choose an outside line and left enough room for him to come inside me into the chicane, as I knew if he did pass me, I would get ahead again coming out of the corner. However, he came in really tight and we were never going to make it round the corner together. I felt him hit me from the rear once, then again, and that was it, my race was over.”
The plot thickens!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.