2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

If the fact that Albon was in front of Hamilton going into that corner wasn't the decisive factor, then the penalty Hamilton got was a joke. He left space and had full right lock. Last year Max forced Leclerc off track crashing into him without a penalty. What was the ruling back then?
Last edited by LM10 on 05 Jul 2020, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:06
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:56
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:53

If you are ahead. Verstappen was ahead, and so was albon.
Albon wasn’t ahead. Lewis was well into the turn before Albon appeared on the outside
At the moment of collision, albon was ahead and keeping it on the track.
Yes but at the beginning of the corner HAM had committed steering lock. It means that it’s his corner. ALB needs to go round the outside cleanly without taking to the racing line
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:10
f1316 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:08
Is it me or did Bottas intentionally cost his main rival some points by not going faster? Zero doubt in my mind that’s what Senna or Schumacher would have done, so good for him if he’s finally getting some killer instinct
The thing is if he wasn't told to let him pass you can't really expect him to do it by his own right?
So Mercedes should go ahead and say whether there was an order in place or not.
My bet is there wasn't. Braindead tactics.
agreed. they shouldve let him pass within a lap of the penalty knowing that it was impossible to pull 6sec lead in the time remaining. they were too worried about their sensors and gb that they were completely oblvious to mclaren luck.

PlatinumZealot

That was a very entertaining race!

Congrats to Bottas and Lando. Great Job Charles, this is why Ferrari put you No.1. Sebastian, oh Sebastian...sigh.

Albon.. rookie driving from him, he had to keep calm because he had the race in his hands. He could have easily took Hamilton if he had been more patient!

Now I want to bring some calmness right now.

Team LH!! My team!! The championship is still ours! Valterri showed weakness in his race pace, and the rest of the tracks are Mercdes friendly so we got this.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 05 Jul 2020, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mwillems

Albon is on the edge of a breakdown. Poor guy, let him get off camera.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Unf

matt_b wrote:
Unf wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:03
Nice handicap for Ham. Is he no more untouchable? Now we are going to see how strong his mentality is...
Time will tell, but if he wins the championship are you going to be mentally strong enough to congratulate him?
Then I will congratulate him only for beating Bottas. For me being a champion with 1s faster car than anyone is not impressive, sorry.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Bill_Kar wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Is it me or did Bottas intentionally cost his main rival some points by not going faster? Zero doubt in my mind that’s what Senna or Schumacher would have done, so good for him if he’s finally getting some killer instinct
The thing is if he wasn't told to let him pass you can't really expect him to do it by his own right?
I think it’s more the question of Bottas backing Hamilton up.

Wynters
Wynters

It's such a shame for Albon. He looked nailed on for a least a podium. Force Hamilton to the inside and just pass him on the triple straight. He'll get a better line and much better drive. I fear he was thinking about chasing Bottas down rather than overtaking Hamilton first.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:13
Bill_Kar wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Legitimate question but if that was the case, the team should give the order regardless and talk about bottas' tactics later.

Sevach
Sevach

Mercedes really plays it close with their cars, not being able to withstand curbs is a new one.
Should've pitted both cars under SC, obvious call, i think Albon wins without the Hamilton collision.
Same thing for RP.
As we've come to expect Hamilton had a lot more race pace than Bottas, if Mercedes wasn't (at that point) winning easily and they still had engine modes/overtake i think he gets past.
Verstappen had ok pace, maybe his strategy would've paid off.
Outstanding salvage for Leclerc with that asthmatic engine.
Great job Lando.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:11
DChemTech wrote:
214270 wrote:

Albon wasn’t ahead. Lewis was well into the turn before Albon appeared on the outside
Yes but at the beginning of the corner HAM had committed steering lock. It means that it’s his corner. ALB needs to go round the outside cleanly without taking to the racing line

Hamilton fan here but this one was on him. He did not want to let go of the position and it cost him. As soon as it happened I thought it was going to be a penalty. Albon had about 3/4 of his car ahead, so Hamilton could see him. He should have backed off. Plain and simple. I need to see the onboard again from Hamilton but if he was already on the power at the moment of impact then it is a slam dunk penalty. If he was not on the power and waiting for the car to turn then it becomes more unclear, but to me it is still his fault. These champions sometimes do not like losing their positions even though they already have been lost. Taht is why they are champions but sometimes it bites them in the arse.

MtthsMlw

Most retirements since what race?

cplchanb
cplchanb

DChemTech wrote:
214270 wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:53

If you are ahead. Verstappen was ahead, and so was albon.
albon was too rushed to get ahead. his inexperience showed and he'll need time to get better. if your not ahead at corner entry theres always the chance that the leader will open up on exit to take the normal racing line. albon due to fresh softs was able to out drag hamilton on acceleration so thats why at the moment of impact he was ahead. you dont see the leaders at fault when they squeeze the passer out in normal conditions where the cars dont touch. that is because the passer had the consideration to predict what was going to happen. albon although he was not at fault had only tunnel vision of p2 and not on how the leader would defend.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Horner talking rubbish again "it's like he has something against him" when talking about the Hamilton/Albon incident. Horner really does play the broken winged bird to the full. It's sickening.

Albon very upset. I can understand that. Young driver seeing the possibility of a win. Don't agree with him saying "it's up to him if we crash". As he said - it's a risk to go around the outside.

Hamilton seems to be fairly even about it. Accepts the penalty from yesterday and from today.

The Scottish bloke says Albon deserved more space but also Hamilton couldn't do anything about it. It's a racing incident but the penalty is deserved because Albon lost out. Strange logic.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:16
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:13
Bill_Kar wrote:

Legitimate question but if that was the case, the team should give the order regardless and talk about bottas' tactics later.
Indeed. Which is why If I’m Hamilton I asking the team what the f... they were doing/thinking allowing it to happen like that. That’s why some have said there be a war going on at Mercedes.