post traumatic crash disorder

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey all,

this has turned out to be a quite interesting topic and i will have to check out this isacc system...
for those in australia, foxtel has a show on 6/10/03 on national geographic i think called seismic seconds where they are going to study in detail Ayrtons crash in Imola...
saddest thing i have ever endured since i started following F1 but i look forward to the show. :(

Steven
Owner

talking about that Senna accident, I saw something on BBC One lately where the cause of the whole incident was explained.

In fact it had nothing to do with a steering failure. The problem actually was the ride hight, where the car touched the ground, air pressure under the car was lost (so no more suction due to the venturi-effect) and he kind of lost all grip. The whole thing was verified with data from in-car analysed data

gbaker
gbaker

Gregg here, with the Isaac company.

We noticed several referrals coming from this board, so I thought I'd make myself available to answer any questions anyone may have.

BTW, did that Senna story mention the G loads he experienced?
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Hummm....seen that program 2 years ago...very interesting!

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey greg,

i will keep an eye out for any g loading readings during the program and post them here if i get them.

and you mean i have had to wait 2 years to see this monstro....
ahh the joys of living in the great southern land....hehe

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Yup...you had to wait....but I have a copy of that documentary in divx! hehehehe 20euros a copy.....anyone want one? :P

gbaker
gbaker

-shr3d- wrote:hey greg,

i will keep an eye out for any g loading readings during the program and post them here if i get them.
Thanks.
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

hey shr3d nice to know there are some other OZ's in this forum 8) :lol:

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey all,

sorry greg, no mention of g forces at all which was kinda disappointing given the technical nature of the show. seemed to be made from a technical viewpoint but wasnt quite convincing in that aspect.

hey speedtech, yeah always good to see some oz factor...
where you from man, me melbourne...
wikked forum hey, thanks to tomba

gbaker
gbaker

-shr3d- wrote:hey all,

sorry greg, no mention of g forces at all which was kinda disappointing given the technical nature of the show. seemed to be made from a technical viewpoint but wasnt quite convincing in that aspect...
Too bad. I was watching that race live when he crashed. It was a massive impact.

Thanks for getting back to us.
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

And the winner is SYDNEY, lol :lol: 8)

To tell you guy's the truth, up until yesterday I actually thought that Ayrton accident was caused due to the steering breaking in his FW16. The show was a real eye opener :roll:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

For me....the steering breakage.....was the least possible cause.....since I've had a classe about construction materials....specially the steel chapter...that I stopped believing in the steerin breakage theory....it's quite hard to break steel....even in the place that it had been welded.

What the mention in the program as the car bottoming down.....if you pay attention to the onboard camera before the accident you see that the back of the car loses grip when Senna passes over the patch....senna slightly corrects the oversteer and the car goes straight ahead.....but.....the truth is still a mistery only senna might know what really happened.

NickT

Senna was a truly great champion, he didn't care who his teammate was, world champion or not. He had a fantastic ability in the car and an incredible ability to dial it in. There maybe those who were/are faster straight out of the box, but give him time to set a car up and no one could touch him. He hated driver aids, rightly believing them to rob him of his advantages over others as a driver.

His accident and that of Roland Ratzenberger were tragic reminders of just how dangerous the sport and the forces of any collision are, it helped push the massive improvement in safety we have today.

From what I read and have seen I believe there was a combination of two factors that caused the accident. Firstly, cold tyres from the restart. This effectively lowered the ride height that was measured by suspension position sensors, not ground to car floor. Secondly the stalling of the rear diffuser when the rear of the car bottomed out.

The continuing tragedy is the failure of the Italian legal system to accept it as a racing incident and lay the case to rest once and for all.

Schumacher may be a great champion and the greatest of modern era, but for me Senna and Juan Manuel Fangio were truly great champions.
NickT

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey all,

senna was a truly great champion who i dearly loved and still get emotional about when i read about him or see the accident again.....
but he was very concerned about who his teammate was....especially early in his career.......

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

After reading Ayrton Senna by Christopher Hilton, it stated that Ayrton went so far as to say if Warrick was to join Lotus he would leave the team,so Lotus didnt sign Warrick, in turn destroying his F1 career.

Not to hold anything against Ayrton, but then again you would do anything to stay ahead in the world of Formula One.!!!!