2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

In Germany, RTL is giving up F1 after 30 years. Even there, everyone is bored with Mercedes wins.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Carl Mccoy wrote:In Germany, RTL is giving up F1 after 30 years. Even there, everyone is bored with Mercedes wins.
RTL doesn’t want to pay what F1 is asking for broadcasting rights... F1 is doing great and arguably better than ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wynters
Wynters

Carl Mccoy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:10
Mattchu wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:57
Why do people care if one team is much better than the others? This has been the case in F1 going back years but still you/we watch the race for the teams battling it out for places, pit stops, strategy, etc, etc.

The winner is [imo] only a fraction of why we watch this sport...sure we would all love our favourite team or driver to be winning but it`s the whole package that makes it interesting. The races are certainly better nowadays than in some previous era, the trouble is we forget the past and just focus on the here and now!
I think 7 years of domination is too much. F1 is dying. Who is interested in fighting in the middle?
'Who is interested in fighting in the middle'? Really?

Possibly every fan who isn't a Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull fan? And probably quite a few of those that are, given that it's possible they are actually interested in the sport rather than just their favourite team winning.

And if you look at the age demographics of the sport and consider that Red Bull haven't even started 300 GPs and that the modern incarnation of Mercedes have started even fewer...

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

I do not agree with this opinion. The results come from previous seasons where sometimes someone managed to win a Mercedes. After this season and the titles as a gift from the FIA ​​, viewership results will not be very encouraging

Wynters
Wynters

Carl Mccoy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:39
After this season and the titles as a gift from the FIA ​​as part of the Black Lives Matter, viewership results will not be very encouraging
I see.

And what conspiracies do you believe made sure Hamilton won all his other titles?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Carl Mccoy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:39
I do not agree with this opinion. The results come from previous seasons where sometimes someone managed to win a Mercedes. After this season and the titles as a gift from the FIA ​​as part of the Black Lives Matter, viewership results will not be very encouraging
Trump et al brought the worst out of people. =D> =D>

wesley123
wesley123

Carl Mccoy wrote:
Mattchu wrote:
Why do people care if one team is much better than the others? This has been the case in F1 going back years but still you/we watch the race for the teams battling it out for places, pit stops, strategy, etc, etc.

The winner is [imo] only a fraction of why we watch this sport...sure we would all love our favourite team or driver to be winning but it`s the whole package that makes it interesting. The races are certainly better nowadays than in some previous era, the trouble is we forget the past and just focus on the here and now!
I think 7 years of domination is too much. F1 is dying. Who is interested in fighting in the middle?
Why are you even watching F1?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MtthsMlw

dans79 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:51
Lewis's 2013 pole vs. 2020!

Fun fact, Hamilton has been on pole at 9% of all Grand Prix.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

wesley123 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:55
Carl Mccoy wrote:
Mattchu wrote:

Why are you even watching F1?
I've been watching since 1994. But F1 is moving towards ecology, political correctness, rules that punish drivers for offenses that were once part of normal track fighting. It became terribly boring and predictable. For me, freezing the development of engines and the token system is a really idiocy idea on the part of the FIA. And apparently Max Mosley was such a bad boss :-)

El Scorchio

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:01
dans79 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:51
Lewis's 2013 pole vs. 2020!

Fun fact, Hamilton has been on pole at 9% of all Grand Prix.
That is an incredible stat.

holeindalip
holeindalip

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 15:35
1:24.3 for Hamilton pole, Verstappen about a second slower. Then .5 seconds behind once again in race pace. Hopefully Silverstone 2 will be better.
Bro, how though?

Bsowles
Bsowles

While some have commented that the Mercedes dominance has made F1 Racing boring, which I somewhat agree with, there are other factors which keep me drawn to it. I enjoy watching the midfield battles, and wish the cameras would pay more attention to them. I enjoy watching the progress of the sport’s “young guns” - Norris, Russell, Albon, etc. I enjoy following the potential technology upgrades, and the attempts by the other teams to bring the Mercedes cars “back to the pack”, so to speak. To me, there’s much more to racing than just the podium results. JMO as a relatively new (3 years) fan. Enjoy the race, gentlemen.

Moore77

falonso81 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:56
siskue2005 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:19
There was a rule change remember
TWO fuel flow sensors now, with measuring flow rates scrambled, only FIA knows what are its timings for measurement

That is a major regulation change, everyone struggling except Mercedes.
Maybe FIA whistled the measurement timings to Merc? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Everyone praising Merc for the unbelievable progress they made. I find it hard to buy into it, yet almost everybody is convinced the W11 is 100% legal.
It was Mercedes who found out what was going on with fuel flow and explained it to FIA. I am sure it was their idea to add another sensor. Mercedes themselves could have gone the Ferrari route in terms of exploiting the grey area and keep quiet, but they chose to do the right thing and brought in FIA to fix the loop hole. Now if any team doubts the credibility of W11, it's upto that team to do the hard work, find out what is illegal and produce it to FIA. Doubts and suspicion are always raised by teams and then joins the audience. Not the other way round. So until some team raises a doubt about the legality of W11, it remains absolute legal dominating machine.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

JRindt

Bsowles wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 03:01
While some have commented that the Mercedes dominance has made F1 Racing boring, which I somewhat agree with, there are other factors which keep me drawn to it. I enjoy watching the midfield battles, and wish the cameras would pay more attention to them. I enjoy watching the progress of the sport’s “young guns” - Norris, Russell, Albon, etc. I enjoy following the potential technology upgrades, and the attempts by the other teams to bring the Mercedes cars “back to the pack”, so to speak. To me, there’s much more to racing than just the podium results. JMO as a relatively new (3 years) fan. Enjoy the race, gentlemen.
I’ve enjoying midfield battles for the last 10 years, and I’m increasingly getting tired of it. Will I ever be able to enjoy a proper title battle in the near future? I don’t know dude, I’m right on edge of quitting and the worst thing is I’ll have to endure another season of it in 2021.

I don’t know how much additional benefits Mercedes will be getting out of this utter domination. A couple of years ago, I’d have gone straight for a Mercedes road car considering their technical excellence (if I had the money). Now, I’m just sick of seeing them.

Maybe I’m in a minority though.

SAEED
SAEED

Bsowles wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 03:01
My feeling is we enjoy watching the progress of the young guns because secretly we wish and imagine that they will all fight for the championship one day. But there is a possibility that only one of them will be in a championship winning car. The rest might not even be in championship fighting cars.