2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

I have just had a look on the fia website and Hamilton's penalty is not on the list of stewards decisions, bit Giovinazzi's is with 2 penalty points awarded and the race still doesn't have an official result.

Document 44 is missing.....https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... nformation
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:55
In 2020, if we actually care about safety, why can’t a call go out over the radio to all teams - PIT LANE CLOSED, TRACK STAFF IN AREA - the instant the decision is made?

Safety is important, but yeah, we’re gonna go ahead and put the Pit Lane Closed info on page 4 lol.

Sometimes the lack of common sense amazes me. Mercedes as the leader had the least time to react and process what was going on, so all the Monday-morning quarterbacking going on to slam them is hilarious.

Especially when Red Bull and Ferrari cancelled their media availability today, and Mercedes did not. Faced all the questions, just like after Germany.

Side note: Anyone notice Verstappen’s temper tantrum getting out of the car? Personally, I was glad to see his fire. I just know that when Lewis, in the past, has expressed any negative emotion on the radio, he’s crucified.

Final note: As Toto said, today was a win for F1. Happy for Gasly. Happy to see a RP, a McLaren, and an AT on the podium!

3 different PU manufacturers.
Good point about Merc owning it. And you know they will be really candid and introspective in their review video when it comes out. Those videos are fantastic.

notsofast
notsofast

I'm happy with the way the race unfolded. That said, the race director could have considered telling the marshals to stay off the track, wait for the inevitable pit stops to be completed, and then close the pit lane. The safety car was already deployed, which implies everyone had to go slow around the stranded car anyway.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:58
the overtaking was very poor this race.
I wrote this before, teams are actually very close to each other this year. 2022 rule changes will ruin this.

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
That’s a big concern for me about these engine rules. Let’s hope this was an outlier and people will still be able to overtake. God forbid if it turns out Merc are still qualifying 1-2 easily AND it’s now harder for them to be caught and overtaken in a race as well.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

notsofast wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:05
I'm happy with the way the race unfolded. That said, the race director could have considered telling the marshals to stay off the track, wait for the inevitable pit stops to be completed, and then close the pit lane. The safety car was already deployed, which implies everyone had to go slow around the stranded car anyway.
The safety car and pit lane closure were done at the same time.

notsofast
notsofast

Given that Bahrain #2 is a one-of race anyway, let's go with a reverse grid based on the results of Bahrain #1. Just once would be fun.

El Scorchio

nevill3 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:01
I have just had a look on the fia website and Hamilton's penalty is not on the list of stewards decisions, bit Giovinazzi's is with 2 penalty points awarded and the race still doesn't have an official result.

Document 44 is missing.....https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... nformation
At this point I think it would be incredibly cruel to Gasly to take this away from him if there is any doubt happening at the moment.

This race hasn’t really altered the championship picture so let it be. If Hamilton had just lost 25 and 18 points to Verstappen and Bottas (in whatever order) then you might want to look into it a little more. But no real damage done to anyone.

AMG.Tzan

Bottas reminded me of a certain other Finnish driver in a Mercedes-engine car who couldn't beat a Toro Rosso in Monza...! :oops:

Gasly though...brilliant! Drove perfectly to beat both Stroll and Sainz who should have won when taking into account car performance! Since his demotion from RB he has taken a podium and a win...next step? Just leave the Red Bull program and be the next Sainz, to gain a drive in a top team! Same goes for Albon... :wink:

With Hamilton out this should have been a Mclaren 1-2...but luck had other ideas!

For some reason though it wasn't easy to overtake...and Mercedes in particular was hitting the rev limiter so early on the straights...why??

P.S. Is Russell's luck so bad that Latifi has two 11th places and he has nothing...or is it just that he is not good enough in race trim? :?
Last edited by AMG.Tzan on 06 Sep 2020, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:11
nevill3 wrote:

At this point I think it would be incredibly cruel to Gasly to take this away from him if there is any doubt happening at the moment.

This race hasn’t really altered the championship picture so let it be. If Hamilton had just lost 25 and 18 points to Verstappen and Bottas (in whatever order) then you might want to look into it a little more. But no real damage done to anyone.
But why the need to give penalty points?
that is stupid really

Sporting regs 2020
28.14 Under exceptional circumstances the race director may ask for the pit entry to be closed during the race for safety reasons. At such times drivers may only enter the pit lane in order for essential and entirely evident repairs to be carried out to the car. A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver who, in the opinion of the stewards, entered the pit lane for any other reason whilst it was closed.
38.3 d)A ten second stop-and-go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.
This is the rule, alright they gave Stop Go, but why the hell they r giving out penalty point for such an incident

siskue2005

AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:13
Bottas reminded me of a certain other Finnish driver in a Mercedes-engine car who couldn't beat a Toro Rosso in Monza...! :oops:

Gasly though...brilliant! Drove perfectly to beat both Stroll and Sainz who should have won when taking into account car performance! Since his demotion from RB he has taken a podium and a win...next step? Just leave the Red Bull program and be the next Sainz, to gain a drive in a top team! Same goes for Albon... :wink:

With Hamilton out this should have been a Mclaren 1-2...but luck had other ideas!

For some reason though it wasn't easy to overtake...and Mercedes in particular was hitting the rev limiter so early on the straights...why??
The cars without the mode changing ability were very difficult to overtake today
Last few years the racing has been simply amazing in Monza, but it has basically neutralized with the engine mode ban

Mogster

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:06
siskue2005 wrote:
That’s a big concern for me about these engine rules. Let’s hope this was an outlier and people will still be able to overtake. God forbid if it turns out Merc are still qualifying 1-2 easily AND it’s now harder for them to be caught and overtaken in a race as well.
Yes. Outside of the couple of laps after the starts/re-starts the lack of overtaking was concerning. Monza low downforce aero does benefit the least from DRS though, less drag to reduce. I am more concerned for Mugello next week though, they’ll need divine intervention to overtake there...

matt_b
matt_b

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:11
nevill3 wrote:

They won't change the results, once the result is official they would've completed 8 races which the minimum required to crown a world champion.

toraabe
toraabe

Theis last win here was with Vettel am I right. I think those new engine present rules will turn out the races to be driving in ring like a snake Snakerace could be the new term.....Anyway Gasly so well deserved.. Big congratulations

toraabe
toraabe

toraabe wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:21
Their last win here was with Vettel am I right. I think those new engine present rules will turn out the races to be driving in ring like a snake Snakerace could be the new term.....Anyway Gasly so well deserved.. Big congratulations