2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:31
NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:23
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:21

In the heat of the moment? 😂

He had just been for an ice cream on his scooter, he was hardly going wheel to wheel with anyone was he? 😂

I'm just smiling trying to see you wiggle your way out of my question whilst trying your best to save the reputation of Hamilton. 😂
When did he ask the team, I thought ot was on the warm up lap to the grid. Not sat at the side of the track?
He asked this once he got back in the car during the red flag period, like I said hardly in the middle of the action. Not very cerebral of him?
He got out of the car, went to the pitwall to discuss the penalty with the top brass, then he went to the stewards to discuss it with them. Then he got in the car and the team said "pit on first lap". He then queried it, saying something like "I can make 5 seconds in two laps". James then said on the radio " it's the best option just in case there's another safety car". Then he drove as the team asked.

He queried the call, received an explanation, accepted it, drove as requested.

All standard stuff. Nothing to see here, no need to insult the team, driver or other forum users.

Moving on...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

toraabe
toraabe

toraabe wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:21
toraabe wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:21
Duplicate.

AMG.Tzan

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:13
Bottas reminded me of a certain other Finnish driver in a Mercedes-engine car who couldn't beat a Toro Rosso in Monza...! :oops:

Gasly though...brilliant! Drove perfectly to beat both Stroll and Sainz who should have won when taking into account car performance! Since his demotion from RB he has taken a podium and a win...next step? Just leave the Red Bull program and be the next Sainz, to gain a drive in a top team! Same goes for Albon... :wink:

With Hamilton out this should have been a Mclaren 1-2...but luck had other ideas!

For some reason though it wasn't easy to overtake...and Mercedes in particular was hitting the rev limiter so early on the straights...why??
The cars without the mode changing ability were very difficult to overtake today
Last few years the racing has been simply amazing in Monza, but it has basically neutralized with the engine mode ban
So they can't even use the Overtake button??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Zynerji

Awesome race! Congrats Pierre! Congrats Alpha Tauri!

With so many going Lewis's way over the years, it didn't this time. Thanks for taking one for the sport, and giving us the most emotional podium of the year!

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:22
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:31
NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:23

When did he ask the team, I thought ot was on the warm up lap to the grid. Not sat at the side of the track?
He asked this once he got back in the car during the red flag period, like I said hardly in the middle of the action. Not very cerebral of him?
He got out of the car, went to the pitwall to discuss the penalty with the top brass, then he went to the stewards to discuss it with them. Then he got in the car and the team said "pit on first lap". He then queried it, saying something like "I can make 5 seconds in two laps". James then said on the radio " it's the best option just in case there's another safety car". Then he drove as the team asked.

He queried the call, received an explanation, accepted it, drove as requested.

All standard stuff. Nothing to see here, no need to insult the team, driver or other forum users.

Moving on...
I take it you haven't read other forum members insulting me to begin with?

I've said I have no issue with Hamilton or the team as I made the same mistake as Hamilton, no big deal really.

Big Tea

It has just occurred to me what else gave me pleasure toady. Blue flags. Or the absence of them.

It was like 'the old days' of when you come up behind a car, you have to pass, its your job. Not the job of the cars infront to dive out of the way.
They were used, but in the manner thew were originally intended.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85
Wass85

Did anybody see the incident with Verstappen and Perez?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:49
To me, catching the pack more closely bunched is always going to be an advantage as the drivers have more than you to watch.

You are, perhaps, forgetting DRS. Catching the pack means the man at the back might still have DRS meaning he's harder to pass. Having a slightly spread pack means you have more chance of DRS over the man you're trying to overtake. A DRS train means no overtaking chances.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:26
siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:13
Bottas reminded me of a certain other Finnish driver in a Mercedes-engine car who couldn't beat a Toro Rosso in Monza...! :oops:

Gasly though...brilliant! Drove perfectly to beat both Stroll and Sainz who should have won when taking into account car performance! Since his demotion from RB he has taken a podium and a win...next step? Just leave the Red Bull program and be the next Sainz, to gain a drive in a top team! Same goes for Albon... :wink:

With Hamilton out this should have been a Mclaren 1-2...but luck had other ideas!

For some reason though it wasn't easy to overtake...and Mercedes in particular was hitting the rev limiter so early on the straights...why??
The cars without the mode changing ability were very difficult to overtake today
Last few years the racing has been simply amazing in Monza, but it has basically neutralized with the engine mode ban
So they can't even use the Overtake button??
Dont think the overtake button is as effective as combination of highest modes and overtake button

siskue2005

The race showed that the mode ban has actually killed the racing just like i said before in the thread

The race can be divided in to 2 phases

before SC
After the first lap, there was no overtaking at all, this was at the start of the race
and this just before the Safety car

And this after the restart after Lewis and Gio took their penalty, apart from Raikonnen falling like a stone and Lewis blasting through the field, no one else overtook anyone
Lap 31

Race end
Practically no overtaking at all
I am really concerned, it is like going back to 2009s with no KERS and no DRS days
Last edited by siskue2005 on 06 Sep 2020, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:40
Big Tea wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:49
To me, catching the pack more closely bunched is always going to be an advantage as the drivers have more than you to watch.

You are, perhaps, forgetting DRS. Catching the pack means the man at the back might still have DRS meaning he's harder to pass. Having a slightly spread pack means you have more chance of DRS over the man you're trying to overtake. A DRS train means no overtaking chances.
I have decided to retire gracefully from this as I am unsure (well, getting stuffed really :evil: )

what I was trying to get over is that the later the stop the less race left. for instance had the race ended 3 laps sooner Hamilton would not have passed perez, Kvyat, or Occon.

Anyway, I retire :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

The final Race result has now been published..........
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nevill3

:o Hamiltons penalty has been reversed and 30 seconds deducted from his race time....new result Ham wins by 13 seconds........ :o

Only Joking the original result stands but Hamiltons Stewards offence has still not been published.....
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Never been a fan of wacky races, just feels too artificial. Is there a record for the maximum number of penalties handed out in a single race? or in a single season? We must be on the way to breaking one of those two records. Anyway, good drive from Gasly I do wonder if Red Bull is thinking about swapping him back to the main team, Albon really isn't performing at the moment. A pretty disappointing drive for Bottas, seemed to be blaming the lack of engine modes for not being able to race, but that didn't seem to stop Hamilton? I remember a few years ago how a rule change around driver coaching really hurt Rosberg's performance, I do wonder if this will have a similar impact.

EDIT: Also, I do hope the FIA fully investigate today's stupidity with the pitlane closure and make sure it doesn't happen again, there needs to be a much clearer system, even if just from a safety point of view.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 20:44
The race showed that the mode ban has actually killed the racing just like i said before in the thread
Yup, funnily enough when the field is brought closer together in terms of pace, drivers find it harder to overtake because they have a much smaller advantage over the car in front, who would have thought!?

I personally feel like this crusade for a "closer" field is completely pointless, cars should be able to follow each other closer, but there should always be a "pecking order" across the teams from season to season, otherwise it's just a spec series.