2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:05
Shrieker wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 14:52
Hamilton has himself to blame. He didn't have to be 'smart' and try a practise start in a different place; especially at a time when they're looking for every little thing to penalize him. Also, his unnecessary mistake at the final corner in Q2 , which ultimately forced him into softs, compromising his race.
He asked the team who gave him the go ahead. Plenty had times binned in Qualifying what actually cost him a start on Mediums. was Vettel getting Q2 red flagged.
He is the one driving the car, he can't control others banging into the walls, bringing out untimely flags. What he can control however, is his own car; which he himself made run wide at his first attempt in Q2. Which makes him more his fault above anything else.
Last edited by Shrieker on 27 Sep 2020, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

komninosm
komninosm

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:53
Racer X wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:51
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:37

IMO, The penalty points should only be given for collisions
It is just BS to give it out for team's mistakes like in Monza and here

But the rules are the same for everyone. It's not Hamilton's fault but it is his teams and they do need to serve the penalty at least now they have learned a lesson hopefully.

Too bad Hamilton...
Ok so where is the penalty points of Max overtaking car in pit lane?

Where penalty for Leclerc today?

Where is the penalty for Leclerc Monza 2019?, with that much amount of swerving, pushing and track cutting Leclerc did there, if it was Lewis they would have given in 10 sec Stop go and 10 penalty points :lol: That pattern has been seen in this season aswell!

Remember 2019 German GP when Leclerc was not given any penalty, instead the team was given financial fine! :roll:
Hmm, do you see the pattern here!

Same in 2017 Vettel was on 10 penalty points, and got given penalties for incidents in a couple of races (Ricciardo tangle in Austin?) but no penalty points otherwise he would have got a race ban

The rules are most certainly not the same for everyone! :roll:
And yet you see the average F1 watcher is a Ham-hater.
It makes no sense. People are so uninformed and biased.
(some are just racist too)

Meanwhile, this is what was going on in Pit Lanes a few years ago:
Last edited by komninosm on 27 Sep 2020, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

LM10 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:10
Shrieker wrote:
Hamilton has himself to blame. He didn't have to be 'smart' and try a practise start in a different place; especially at a time when they're looking for every little thing to penalize him. Also, his unnecessary mistake at the final corner in Q2 , which ultimately forced him into softs, compromising his race.
So what's with this made up story about Hamilton being the poor driver having to deal with a team making strategical decisions against him, the FIA penalizing him for "every little thing" and the whole world hating him?
Why are you trying to give the impression of Hamilton being a lonely fighter having to fight really hard to survive?
Care to elaborate why Verstappen and Leclerc weren't even investigated for their 'infringments' ?

Oh yes, that's because Hamilton actually IS under more scrutiny. It makes sense, in the context that he is on the cusp of becoming the most successful ever.

Additionally, wonder if it has anything to do with the t-shirt as well. My guess is yes.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dans79

Shrieker wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:06
Additionally, wonder if it has anything to do with the t-shirt as well. My guess is yes.
I'd be willing to place a non-trivial wager on this as well.
197 104 103 7

komninosm
komninosm

Shrieker wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:06
LM10 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:10
Shrieker wrote:
So what's with this made up story about Hamilton being the poor driver having to deal with a team making strategical decisions against him, the FIA penalizing him for "every little thing" and the whole world hating him?
Why are you trying to give the impression of Hamilton being a lonely fighter having to fight really hard to survive?
Care to elaborate why Verstappen and Leclerc weren't even investigated for their 'infringments' ?

Oh yes, that's because Hamilton actually IS under more scrutiny. It makes sense, in the context that he is on the cusp of becoming the most successful ever.

Exactly!

How was this not investigated?!
Verstappen passing Gasly in pitlane, F1 Russian Grand Prix, 2020.

siskue2005

it's odd how much they steered away from its original use of penalty points

Originally it was introduced to get drivers that crash a lot out without having to judge the case subjectively (like with Grosjean back in Spa), but they are dishing out a lot of penalty points for formal infregments that before that were only reprimands (3 of them meant a 10 place drop) nowadays. Of the 10 Hamilton has only 4 were actually for collisions.

Race bans should reserved for persistent dangerous driving not for slip ups or team's mistakes

One thing I don't really understand - okay, Lewis and team shoot himself in the foot here - but why Mercedes always robs both us and Lewis from a strategy where he can really shine, like a bold two stopper and let him push. It would have been spectacular to watch that. but they didnt do it.

As soon as Riccardo pitted (who is like 9 sec behind) i was like oh they are gonna pit him now, they are that conservative now.

komninosm
komninosm

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:15
it's odd how much they steered away from its original use of penalty points

Originally it was introduced to get drivers that crash a lot out without having to judge the case subjectively (like with Grosjean back in Spa), but they are dishing out a lot of penalty points for formal infregments that before that were only reprimands (3 of them meant a 10 place drop) nowadays. Of the 10 Hamilton has only 4 were actually for collisions.

Race bans should reserved for persistent dangerous driving not for slip ups or team's mistakes

One thing I don't really understand - okay, Lewis and team shoot himself in the foot here - but why Mercedes always robs both us and Lewis from a strategy where he can really shine, like a bold two stopper and let him push. It would have been spectacular to watch that. but they didnt do it.

As soon as Riccardo pitted (who is like 9 sec behind) i was like oh they are gonna pit him now, they are that conservative now.
Yes, it would have been fun to see Lewis go on a 2 stop push strategy and hope for a SC.
Probably sub-optimal, but starting with soft tire, not so much. Nothing to lose, he'd still get 3rd place anyway. Plus fastest lap!
Agreed on the Penalty points too.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:01
Verstappen actually just went backward in this race. Only gained back his starting position by the fortune of Hamilton’s penalty to get the minimum expected result so I’m slightly baffled by this driver of the day thing if he got it.

Much as I think it’s a stupid gimmick I’d have given it to Perez
Dutch fans voting en masse. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:36
Confirmed by radio that Mercedes confirmed that Ham could do the practice start that far from the pits.. Again Lewis suffers for the team. This penalty points are bull....
They give him the best car on the grid by miles to put him in a position to fight for every single championship for the past 8 years since 2014, the longest period a driver has had the fastest car on the grid ever likely to be the same in 2021, preferential treatment over his team mate, 6 word championships and 69 wins.

A penalty and a 3rd placed podium in one race for a team mistake is nothing to what they have given him.

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:26
El Scorchio wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:01
Verstappen actually just went backward in this race. Only gained back his starting position by the fortune of Hamilton’s penalty to get the minimum expected result so I’m slightly baffled by this driver of the day thing if he got it.

Much as I think it’s a stupid gimmick I’d have given it to Perez
Dutch fans voting en masse. :lol:
Yup, and Lewis has only won it once in the last 3 years if i am not mistaken
And Max with the highest in the last 3 years
Shows the general trend of fan votes
it is just a scam, i stopped voting since 2018

siskue2005

grubschumi13 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:27
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:36
Confirmed by radio that Mercedes confirmed that Ham could do the practice start that far from the pits.. Again Lewis suffers for the team. This penalty points are bull....
They give him the best car on the grid by miles to put him in a position to fight for every single championship for the past 8 years since 2014, the longest period a driver has had the fastest car on the grid ever likely to be the same in 2021, preferential treatment over his team mate, 6 word championships and 69 wins.

A penalty and a 3rd placed podium in one race for a team mistake is nothing to what they have given him.
Agree, but the point he was making was about many people here blaming it on Lewis!

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:53
Unf wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:46
British (of course...) journalist asked Lewis if he feels that FIA is trying to stop him. He agreed and said this is not first time when FIA trying to give his life harder. :D:D
We are so close to "they punish me cause I'm black" again!
Lewis is smartly creating more story and fanfare behind it to make it look greater when he smashes the records! Lol.

For me as a fan the struggles make the victories sweeter and that is exactly what Lewis is tugging at. This Netflix episode should be fire!
Villeneuve said it, he is trying to create an antagonist for which he is the protagonist.It's acting really. Smart when you are managing your own brand.

siskue2005

“There is already rubber here. Can I start further down? At the end of the pit lane,” asked the Briton.

“Go ahead. Yes, is fine. Leave enough room for cars to pass,” his engineer told him.

El Scorchio

komninosm wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:50
NathanOlder wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:45
Wynters wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:15
[

Nice to see some actual overtaking in Russia, but the Stewards' ruling on having to weave through those bollards took no account of the angles cars might find themselves in, once they'd finished bouncing off the kerbs. If everyone is breaking the rule, perhaps it's a stupid rule.
On those Bollards, they were only a compromise if you actually attempted to make the corner, Like Sainz was doing, or Grosjean attempted. to go through, they needed to slow down more. Max showed us that if you bail out early and just miss the apex by a mile, you don't even lose a tenth. Max was able to go in to turn 2 side by side with Ric. then aftwr the bollards, he wasn't even a car length behind. The Stewards need to make a better job of punishing drivers who cut corners.
Yeah those Bollards are very stupid and the Stewarding was bad.
If you fail to take the corner, just give position to a car behind you and that's it. No reason to put objects on track or near it.
Agree. They were pretty much the cause for Sainz’ crash too. Yes he made an error of judgement going through them but all weekend the commentators were remarking about how tight it was to the wall.

siskue2005

Comments from wolf - one penalty was for driving too slowly?

"The errors always happen together," he said when asked about the incident by Autosport.

"It's not a team error, it's not a Lewis error. And I wouldn't want to point at anybody, and I've never done that.

"Ron [Meadows] and I were at the stewards, the verdict was he wasn't in the right place.

"There is no mention what the right place is in the director's note, nor is it in the regulations. So we disagree on that one - we agree to disagree on that one.

"The other one was not driving at constant speed in the reconnaissance laps, and there again, it's debatable.

Wolff insisted that Masi's notes did not specify exactly where drivers could conduct practice starts, and that there was no advantage gained from where he did the start.

"The race director's notes say, if I'm well-informed, that you must do practice starts after the lights on the right side of the pitlane. And that's what happened," he said.

"The designated place, it says after the lights, at the right side. It does specify that the practice starts need to be done after the lights on the right side."

"You know, things are not always black and white, and there's room for interpretation. There are rules that can be interpreted in two ways. There is common sense. There is the fact that then an in-race penalty was given, actually two in-race penalties were given, for an infringement that happened before the race.

"And there was an argument that he gained an advantage by making the [practice starts] there, I think it was not an advantage because there was no grip, so much less grip than you would have on your starting positions. It is what it is at the end of the day, obviously, we're all emotional about that."

The bold parts are really concerning, it looks like they wanted to punish Lewis badly