2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

grubschumi13 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:27
preferential treatment over his team mate
Laughable. Like Webber's wing being taken off his car and given to Vettel ? Or Massa receiving a bullshit gearbox change to move Alonso up a spot on the grid ? Or Barrichello being ordered to slow down to let his team mate past on the finish line ?

This just smacks of sour grapes.
Last edited by Shrieker on 27 Sep 2020, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:05
Comments from wolf - one penalty was for driving too slowly?

"The errors always happen together," he said when asked about the incident by Autosport.

"It's not a team error, it's not a Lewis error. And I wouldn't want to point at anybody, and I've never done that.

"Ron [Meadows] and I were at the stewards, the verdict was he wasn't in the right place.

"There is no mention what the right place is in the director's note, nor is it in the regulations. So we disagree on that one - we agree to disagree on that one.

"The other one was not driving at constant speed in the reconnaissance laps, and there again, it's debatable.

Wolff insisted that Masi's notes did not specify exactly where drivers could conduct practice starts, and that there was no advantage gained from where he did the start.

"The race director's notes say, if I'm well-informed, that you must do practice starts after the lights on the right side of the pitlane. And that's what happened," he said.

"The designated place, it says after the lights, at the right side. It does specify that the practice starts need to be done after the lights on the right side."

"You know, things are not always black and white, and there's room for interpretation. There are rules that can be interpreted in two ways. There is common sense. There is the fact that then an in-race penalty was given, actually two in-race penalties were given, for an infringement that happened before the race.

"And there was an argument that he gained an advantage by making the [practice starts] there, I think it was not an advantage because there was no grip, so much less grip than you would have on your starting positions. It is what it is at the end of the day, obviously, we're all emotional about that."

The bold parts are really concerning, it looks like they wanted to punish Lewis badly
Not sure it’s about specifically punishing Hamilton, but more about manufacturing as tight a championship battle as possible. Hamilton is the fall guy for that because he’s the one running away with the title so thusly is the one usually being pegged back.

A lot of Masi’s actions this season have pointed toward trying to force ‘interesting’ scenarios to artificially provide a spectacle at the expense of just interfering as little as possible and letting the drivers and teams get on with it.

Shrieker

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:15

Not sure it’s about specifically punishing Hamilton, but more about manufacturing as tight a championship battle as possible.
Concurred. Hence the term, "Formula WWE". Americans taking over was a bad omen.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:

The bold parts are really concerning, it looks like they wanted to punish Lewis badly
It's obvious that there is an attempt to manufacture this season's progress and outcome. It's not just Hamilton, although it's obvious that he is a target, but also hiw other penalties are applied. One driver goes off at T2 and gets a penalty, another goes off and gets nothing. Drivers are hit and the other driver gets nothing.

Massi is working overtime to create a tension in the drivers' title battles.

It's just shoddy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

komninosm
komninosm

grubschumi13 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 16:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:53
Unf wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:46
British (of course...) journalist asked Lewis if he feels that FIA is trying to stop him. He agreed and said this is not first time when FIA trying to give his life harder. :D:D
We are so close to "they punish me cause I'm black" again!
Lewis is smartly creating more story and fanfare behind it to make it look greater when he smashes the records! Lol.

For me as a fan the struggles make the victories sweeter and that is exactly what Lewis is tugging at. This Netflix episode should be fire!
Villeneuve said it, he is trying to create an antagonist for which he is the protagonist.It's acting really. Smart when you are managing your own brand.
Yes, it's Hamilton managing his brand. :roll:
It's not actual preferential treatment issues (and in some cases even racism by fans and officials)
Verstappen passing Gasly in pitlane, F1 Russian Grand Prix, 2020.

Max: No investigation!
Leclerc crash Stroll: No investigation!
Vettel crash Grosjean: No investigation!

komninosm
komninosm

siskue2005 wrote:
Comments from wolf - one penalty was for driving too slowly?

"The errors always happen together," he said when asked about the incident by Autosport.

"It's not a team error, it's not a Lewis error. And I wouldn't want to point at anybody, and I've never done that.

"Ron [Meadows] and I were at the stewards, the verdict was he wasn't in the right place.

"There is no mention what the right place is in the director's note, nor is it in the regulations. So we disagree on that one - we agree to disagree on that one.

"The other one was not driving at constant speed in the reconnaissance laps, and there again, it's debatable.

Wolff insisted that Masi's notes did not specify exactly where drivers could conduct practice starts, and that there was no advantage gained from where he did the start.

"The race director's notes say, if I'm well-informed, that you must do practice starts after the lights on the right side of the pitlane. And that's what happened," he said.

"The designated place, it says after the lights, at the right side. It does specify that the practice starts need to be done after the lights on the right side."

"You know, things are not always black and white, and there's room for interpretation. There are rules that can be interpreted in two ways. There is common sense. There is the fact that then an in-race penalty was given, actually two in-race penalties were given, for an infringement that happened before the race.

"And there was an argument that he gained an advantage by making the [practice starts] there, I think it was not an advantage because there was no grip, so much less grip than you would have on your starting positions. It is what it is at the end of the day, obviously, we're all emotional about that."

Whut?
<<< "The other one was not driving at constant speed in the reconnaissance laps, and there again, it's debatable.>>>
So the second penalty was for another reason?

Also, other than the bold parts, I'm concerned with this:

What advantage did Hamilton gain by those practice starts? This is crazy. FIA/stewards are becoming the worse ever and affected by hateful internet mob.
Last edited by komninosm on 27 Sep 2020, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

Third time in two seasons where Hamilton lost a possible victory by a infringement of the rules where a team of the magnitude of Mercedes should know better (Germany 2019, the bollard, Italy 2020, pitlane closed and Russia 2020).

Especially the last two were carbon copies that someone didn’t read the notes...

siskue2005

Jolle wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:26
Third time in two seasons where Hamilton lost a possible victory by a infringement of the rules where a team of the magnitude of Mercedes should know better (Germany 2019, the bollard, Italy 2020, pitlane closed and Russia 2020).

Especially the last two were carbon copies that someone didn’t read the notes...
Germany 2019? did u expect Lewis to drive around the track with damaged front wing and shedding debries and risking Massa like accident? it was correct decision to pit and take penalty

Italy 2020; talked to death, they didnt see it, as simple as that, a genuine mistake considering they only had 10 sec to react and the closed message was in page 4

Sochi 2020: Wolf's quote above shows that it was not clear cut as u think. There is no clear cut rules stating this, like the idiot David Croft was saying on air!
Last edited by siskue2005 on 27 Sep 2020, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

komninosm
komninosm

Jolle wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:26

Debatable, but still, even if so, what then? Are they just too busy partying all the Championships in the last 5 years to care?
Do they just want to make the losers feel better for a day or two? :P

Sieper

Max defends Lewis, penalty points too harsh. If you are endangering others, via driving you should give penalty points, but for this not needed. If you can read Dutch:

https://racingnews365.nl/verstappen-pla ... overdreven

komninosm
komninosm

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:32
Max defends Lewis, penalty points too harsh. If you are endangering others, via driving you should give penalty points, but for this not needed. If you can read Dutch:

https://racingnews365.nl/verstappen-pla ... overdreven
Maybe it's because Max feels this is safe in the pits:

8)
But at least Max spoke out correctly this time about Lewis. Many others are silent...
Last edited by komninosm on 27 Sep 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:30
Sochi 2020: Wolf's quote above shows that it was not clear cut as u think. There is no clear cut rules stating this like the idiot David Croft was saying on air
I have often wondered how much money people would need to raise via a gofundme or something similar to get Sky to fire him. He talks far to much, and knows far less than everyone else on the commentary team.
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

hmm

via /u/Ricci2014_

f1jcw
f1jcw

I was following the race on the autosport forum. Is their any thoughts on the drivers steward Salo leaking information to a TV station before official confirmation?
Ok here is the video with subtitles:

A couple of points:

- Juusela seemed dead set that Hamilton would get his penalty points filled to 12, which suggets the stewards initially considered this as the penalty.

- I know that the investigations for the two practice starts were already announced at this point, but the way Juusela would "predict" a hockey-style 5+5 penalty is very unlikely.

- To me it is evident beyond reasonable doubt that at the start of the video Salo messages Juusela and spills the beans. Nothing about it seems like it's Juusela's own speculation.

Sieper

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 17:35
hmm
https://streamable.com/11p6ld
via /u/Ricci2014_
I have said in this topic already that was a penalty for Leclerc imho. They look similar but are not exactly the same, two situations never are. Lewis forced Albon of track, that did not happen here and besides it was first lap. But why leclerc was allowed to do this without consequence I don’t understand. Did it to Verstappen in Japan 2019 too, also at first, without even an under investigation.