2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

Shrieker wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:01
A lot of people have been bigging up Russell here, and I always thought it was not for good reason. He hasn't had a half decent team mate as a benchmark. Robert had half an arm missing, and Latifi has been horrible most of the time. I don't consider beating those two the entire time merits much, if anything.

His SC crash today also reminded me of Button @ Monza 2000. Which gives me a sneaking feeling that he will be as good as Button was (in relative terms), tops.
Yeah, and no one else in the paddock cares about those results either.

They look at the pace. Everything else can either be taught or learned from experience.

Raw pace and ability cannot.

I knew there’d be someone on here jumping on this with what happened, and there’d be crickets if he scored points in a Williams.

Shrieker

This hasn't been the first time either. He botched it somewhere else as well. Maybe he can't handle the pressure ?

I'm not jumping on anything btw. You mention 'pace', but pace compared to what, who ? Your team mate is your most important benchmark, and the fact is, he hasn't had a half decent one yet. Let's see him someone alongside like Perez or Hulkenberg. Or maybe if he can pull the rabbit out of the bag on a wet track, like the best of the best can.
Last edited by Shrieker on 01 Nov 2020, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

koenigzig
koenigzig

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:16
Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:08
koenigzig wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:03

I dont see it. If there was a slight touch, it was before Chicane entry and it does not seem to destabilize his car. No way that affected his spin, that was driver error 100% imo
From the front angle I think I see a slight touch just before exit. It just takes a lot to control the car, especially on cold tires. Not saying Albon is quite up there, and especially this instability is what causing the problem for him.
You seeing contact where? Im not seeing Albon do anything other than showing his lack of talent.
Watched from Sainz's pov, definitely no contact. The pressure got to him I'm afraid

PM me if you're interested in joining an F1 2021 or Assetta Corsa Competizione league on Xbox

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

I’m holding my opinion on Russell.

1) the argument about his Jr series credentials. There is a GP2 champ every year and they all don’t turn into champions. Look at poor Hulkenberg, on paper he was a champion (or multi time) in the waiting. He’s good and reliable, but that didn’t turn out.
2) His performance at Williams. Valteri did a lot of the same and over performed with them. He’s very good but he’s not a generational talent / great.
3) He’s just an unknown. He has been fast against his teammates, but they’ve been either not a top talent (and not even close to it) or a man with a slight handicap who was on the downward side of his career.
4) Today is meaningless. People make mistakes, just as long as it isn’t a trend. Then it’s a problem.

I’m curious to see how his career progresses. I think he’ be good, but none of us really know. Any other opinion is pretty much just that.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Really feel bad for Albon... But that's Formula 1. If you're not up to speed, you'll lose your seat.

Mogster

zibby43 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:19
Shrieker wrote:
A lot of people have been bigging up Russell here, and I always thought it was not for good reason. He hasn't had a half decent team mate as a benchmark. Robert had half an arm missing, and Latifi has been horrible most of the time. I don't consider beating those two the entire time merits much, if anything.

His SC crash today also reminded me of Button @ Monza 2000. Which gives me a sneaking feeling that he will be as good as Button was (in relative terms), tops.

They look at the pace. Everything else can either be taught or learned from experience.

I knew there’d be someone on here jumping on this with what happened, and there’d be crickets if he scored points in a Williams.
Exactly. People are slagging him off for losing it but the Williams is by far the least driveable car in the race. Besides his speed one of the things that’s impressed me most about his time in the Williams is how rare it is that he goes off. Generally if he has a DNF it’s because one of the usual suspects has punted him. Driving a known shitbox seems to mean every other driver will take liberties trying to pass you...

I do think the lack of a standout Sunday drive on his CV is playing on his mind though.

Sieper

Every opinion is an opinion. We are allowed to out them. Just do it with some respect. I haven’t said anything about Russell. He knew himself it was a mistake no need for me to drill it down. I think he is quite fast, but so too was Wehrlein. Should you stay in the Merc family? For now, yes. We can’t all be in a Merc a team seat.

tangodjango
tangodjango

Mogster wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:32
zibby43 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:19
Shrieker wrote:

Exactly. People are slagging him off for losing it but the Williams is by far the least driveable car in the race. Besides his speed one of the things that’s impressed me most about his time in the Williams is how rare it is that he goes off. Generally if he has a DNF it’s because one of the usual suspects has punted him. Driving a known shitbox seems to mean every other driver will take liberties trying to pass you...

I do think the lack of a standout Sunday drive on his CV is playing on his mind though.
It has to be the Alonso curse. Fernando dished out heavy praise on Russel on Friday and poor fellow bins it while in the points. #-o
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Much has been made about the Redbull being hard to drive and Max being the only one able to do it consistently.

Seeing how good the AT is in the race, I’d be curious to see Max in that car just to see what it has as I think it may be just about the A-team’s equal or maybe a little better in the race with it being easier to drive (and subsequently easier on tires). Maybe not outright single lap pace, but I think it can follow better.

Sieper

Depends on the track. This year the cape is new at RBR, I think it is not easy to incorporate.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:49
Depends on the track. This year the cape is new at RBR, I think it is not easy to incorporate.
It reminds me if Honda in MotoGP. Only M. Marquez can do anything on that bike and it’s so unforgiving that is has caused him to crash and receive a list of injuries that may jeopardize his career at this point.

Other manufacturers focus on ride ability and they have both bikes in play and aren’t injuring their riders. Same in MA/FIM WSBK.

NathanOlder

Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:52
Sieper wrote:
It reminds me if Honda in MotoGP. Only M. Marquez can do anything on that bike and it’s so unforgiving that is has caused him to crash and receive a list of injuries that may jeopardize his career at this point.

Other manufacturers focus on ride ability and they have both bikes in play and aren’t injuring their riders. Same in MA/FIM WSBK.
So do you think the teams have shot themselves in the foot by making the car/bike so focused on 1 driver/rider?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:45
Much has been made about the Redbull being hard to drive and Max being the only one able to do it consistently.

Seeing how good the AT is in the race, I’d be curious to see Max in that car just to see what it has as I think it may be just about the A-team’s equal or maybe a little better in the race with it being easier to drive (and subsequently easier on tires). Maybe not outright single lap pace, but I think it can follow better.
Now that would be entertaining. Max and Kivyat swap cars for one race. YES PLEASE! Come on Red bull, you can not lose second place, get your publicity machine on it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Schuttelberg

Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:13
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:13
Wonder what Seb will be worried about. The pit stop or Racing Point's strategy for Perez today.
He should be worried about just being faster than Stroll.

Maybe Ferrari isn’t giving him all the goods, but I also think Vettel isn’t up to his old self, whether intentional to make Ferrari look bad (or at least to try to make more excuses for why Charles beats him) or he’s in a mental rut. Once you lose it, it’ll tell you the type of guy he is if he can get it back. He doesn’t seem to be the fighter, grit it out, type. Lewis is, seems to be the guy who internalizes it and comes back stronger. Vettel appears to be mentally fragile.
It's hilarious that people said the same things about Lewis in 2011-12 and the opposite for Seb.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Sieper

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 18:01
Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:52
Sieper wrote:

So do you think the teams have shot themselves in the foot by making the car/bike so focused on 1 driver/rider?
They don’t do that imho. They just aim for the fastest package. Merc has more horses so you have to take more risk. And I think the cape is not easy to incorporate.