2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

nzjrs wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 20:33
Schuttelberg wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 23:18
WOW! Lewis doesn't know who Franz Tost is and even more hilarious is the stuff he said about Bottas! :lol:
Yeah, I think both interpretations (ignorance or malice) of him not knowing who Tost is are quite a bad reflection on Hamilton here.
I’m not sure why people are surprised by this. The impression I get is that Hamilton turns up and drives the car, between races the last thing he’d be doing is researching other teams staff members. I think fans probably know far more about team personnel outside Mercedes than Lewis does.

zibby43
zibby43

Mogster wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 21:26
nzjrs wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 23:18
WOW! Lewis doesn't know who Franz Tost is and even more hilarious is the stuff he said about Bottas! :lol:
Yeah, I think both interpretations (ignorance or malice) of him not knowing who Tost is are quite a bad reflection on Hamilton here.
I’m not sure why people are surprised by this. The impression I get is that Hamilton turns up and drives the car, between races the last thing he’d be doing is researching other teams staff members. I think fans probably know far more about team personnel outside Mercedes than Lewis does.
Exactly. The only poor reflecting associated with those comments is on Franz, for saying drivers should be happy with $10m and to shut up and drive, basically.

We are not here to see you Franz. We’re here to see the drivers. So maybe we can cap your salary first lol.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

zibby43 wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 21:38

Exactly. The only poor reflecting associated with those comments is on Franz, for saying drivers should be happy with $10m and to shut up and drive, basically.

We are not here to see you Franz. We’re here to see the drivers. So maybe we can cap your salary first lol.
I think most drivers would be quite happy to do that, but all teams take ownership of the driver's image for commercial purposes. Is it fair to limit driver pay but allow teams to make unlimited revenue using their image?

nzjrs

zibby43 wrote:
Mogster wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

The royal we?

Anyway, for me, and some other percentage of the fans no doubt, the driver isn't really relevant. I follow f1 for the teams and the engineering personally.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Yes why wouldn’t it be?

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
Mogster wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

He knew exactly what he was doing and is fully aware of who Tost is. He was implying that Tost is someone who does not matter as he is never going to get a driver who will be paid that much.

Very bad form from THB. He could at least be polite about it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 21:21

I wonder how much the Thai investors are paying him to keep his mouth shut? :roll:
I don't think Albons going to lose his seat. I think they aren't getting Perez or Hulk. I don't think they can risk upsetting the Thai owners in these hard times. Or they will pull the team from F1. Potentially so better to keep the Thai driver. If he was only competent it would be nice.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

siskue2005

Racer X wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 23:21
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 21:21

I wonder how much the Thai investors are paying him to keep his mouth shut? :roll:
I don't think Albons going to lose his seat. I think they aren't getting Perez or Hulk. I don't think they can risk upsetting the Thai owners in these hard times. Or they will pull the team from F1. Potentially so better to keep the Thai driver. If he was only competent it would be nice.
Thai owners or just investors?

PlatinumZealot

Owners. 51%

Albon is basicaly epoxied to that seat unless he does something reeally silly like straddling the halo naked, arms akimbo with a big ole thailand flag on his back.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 00:00
Owners. 51%

Albon is basicaly epoxied to that seat unless he does something reeally silly like straddling the halo naked, arms akimbo with a big ole thailand flag on his back.
Today in an interview *he* said "Well see how it goes next year" in regards to the tire performance of the prototypes being tested and he wasn't worried at all about having crashed the car so extensively.

Almost like if he knows he's going to be kept.
*Maybe* at this point the decision has been made(and he's been told) and it's Albon who keeps his seat.

Too bad for Perez it's been nice and it's very sad given the amazing performances. But it seems he's got a 0% chance at RedBull...
Hulkenberg I guess you don't get a comeback...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

zibby43
zibby43

Diesel wrote:
27 Nov 2020, 21:58
zibby43 wrote:

I think most drivers would be quite happy to do that, but all teams take ownership of the driver's image for commercial purposes. Is it fair to limit driver pay but allow teams to make unlimited revenue using their image?
Yep, Hamilton made the same distinction.

Hamilton said he personally wouldn't be bothered by the cap, but he doesn't want the young drivers to be adversely affected.

"If you look at other sports, there have been salary caps in some of those sports – think like the NFL or basketball.

"The one difference is that in those places the individuals own their image in many areas, so then they can they can try to maximise their image elsewhere.

"But this sport controls pretty much the driver's image. So, I mean, I'm not personally opposed to it. It's not my decision at the end of the day."

Zynerji

zibby43 wrote:
Mogster wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

I'm here to see the cars, regardless who drives them, or how much they are paid.

zibby43
zibby43

Zynerji wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 00:48
zibby43 wrote:
Mogster wrote:

I'm here to see the cars, regardless who drives them, or how much they are paid.
The cars and drivers are almost inextricably linked in the money machine that is F1. Think you’re taking the comment too literally.

A great driver maximizes a great car, and a great driver can wring great performances out of a mediocre car (LEC and Ferrari this year).

Zynerji

zibby43 wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 00:56
Zynerji wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 00:48
zibby43 wrote:

The cars and drivers are almost inextricably linked in the money machine that is F1. Think you’re taking the comment too literally.

A great driver maximizes a great car, and a great driver can wring great performances out of a mediocre car (LEC and Ferrari this year).

20 nascar drivers in f1 cars, being paid 10M/yr is a better show. change my mind.. :lol:

godlameroso

Race pace seems very very close between Mercedes and Verstappen. Of course Mercedes could be holding back, but I can definitely see Verstappen beating Bottas.

Further down, RP seems to be just a hair in front of Renault and McLaren. Alpha Tauri is also up there. Gasly is mega around here, and has been since Honda powered AT. Last year Sainz was also very fast. Will be an interesting battle for 4th place.
Saishū kōnā