2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:19
Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:14
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:56
TBH barring more bad luck/a mechanical failure, I'd be pretty surprised if Bottas doesn't win. He's nowhere near as bad as some on here make him out to be.
if there was a voting 'worst driver of the day' instead of 'best driver',
then the past two races, Bottas would have won that by a MILE.

He has been a total embarassment the past two races and there really is no defense.
Tbf 2 punctures is a pretty good excuse for Bahrain. In Turkey though he damaged his car bombing Ocon. If you look at this though he's never been on the level of Rosberg vs Hamilton - but do Mercedes care if he finishes p2, helps tie up the constructors, and doesn't upset the main man!?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoJLw1aXMAA ... =4096x4096
Exactly. Turkey was a stinker, but let it not be said in very difficult conditions with a car that had a lot of problems getting it's tyres useable. He had a terrible day but EVERY driver has a stinker now and again. Even Hamilton.

Bahrain was just pure bad luck. A puncture at the worst possible time which completely ruined his race. He's had some really bad luck in GB and Imola, and a few others.

There's no doubt he's not as good as Hamilton, or as good as Ricciardo, Leclerc or Verstappen. No shame in that as they are all exceptional drivers. I find it hard to believe anyone who says he's materially below the level of anyone else on the grid, but I think you could definitely have a debate about the relative merits of Sainz, Perez and a couple of others.

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:26
Apart from it being enough FOR NOW, it doesn't change the fact he's not really 'earning' the seat so to speak.

What i think is most embarassing, is now that Hamilton has his WDC, and arguably less 'motivated' or 'focused',
this is the moment where Bottas could 'jump in and prove himself'. Instead, he is actually worse.

For his sake, he'd better make sure he soundly beats Lewis' replacement for this weekend.
Or find your local covid patient, have a good kiss and hug, and hide behind Covid and leave Merc with two reserve drivers.
But yes, he absolutely needs to win this weekend, barring any issues out of his control.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Wil992 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:21
Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:14
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:56
TBH barring more bad luck/a mechanical failure, I'd be pretty surprised if Bottas doesn't win. He's nowhere near as bad as some on here make him out to be.
if there was a voting 'worst driver of the day' instead of 'best driver',
then the past two races, Bottas would have won that by a MILE.

He has been a total embarassment the past two races and there really is no defense.
I agree with your general point, but I have to say if there was a best and worst category, it’s entirely possible that in the last race grosjean would have won both. 😀
I saw a short video of sky regarding the undeniable fact that some debris from presumably Stroll's car veered off straight into the right front tire of Grosjean, which perhaps taints the picture we have of Romain's move that ultimately lead to something that could have been his death.

Yes, he, all by himself, steered to the right to try and pass Magnussen. However, in his defense, there are some things to concider.

1. the Alfa Romeo on the left likely would return to the track, and get in his way so it makes sense to move from that 'threat'.
2. if he wanted to pass Magnussen, which he could as he had more speed, he would be blocked by the two cars in front of him: The renault and I dunno the other car.
3. the only space he had for that was on the right, and he could very much had wrongly estimated Kvyat's speed thus thinking he was sufficiently behind, making this nothing more but a racing incident.
4. fact remains, Kvyat STILL could have avoided that contact, by braking. I'm not saying that is what he SHOULD have done, but let's face it, Grosjean WAS more than enough in front of Kvyat and Kvyat was NOT overtaking.
5. lastly, there is the case of how PERHAPS INDEED, that the debris damaged the front right tire of Grosjean, and could actually have influenced exactly how Grosjean was able to control his car, and COULD have lead to the contact between him and Kvyat.

Yes, Grosjean does have himself partially to blame on the collision.

However, the moment of contact, he became a passenger. The crash itself is worrying because of the track's barriers itself. To be fair, it could essentially happened to any driver at that point, so honestly, i wouldn't be staring blind on 'grosjean being grosjean'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Joe Hudson
Joe Hudson

El Scorchio wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:32
Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 17:26
Apart from it being enough FOR NOW, it doesn't change the fact he's not really 'earning' the seat so to speak.

What i think is most embarassing, is now that Hamilton has his WDC, and arguably less 'motivated' or 'focused',
this is the moment where Bottas could 'jump in and prove himself'. Instead, he is actually worse.

For his sake, he'd better make sure he soundly beats Lewis' replacement for this weekend.
Or find your local covid patient, have a good kiss and hug, and hide behind Covid and leave Merc with two reserve drivers.
But yes, he absolutely needs to win this weekend, barring any issues out of his control.
for his f1 career yep he totally need to win this race if he has no issues

Racer X

If Bottas doesn't win it just goes to show you the cars can only go so far.

Anyways Vandoorne and Gutierrez are already employed by Mercedes but do they even have a supper license? They might not be eligible. They might need to bring in Hulkenberg and who else is an option?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Mogster

Racer X wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 18:58
If Bottas doesn't win it just goes to show you the cars can only go so far.

Anyways Vandoorne and Gutierrez are already employed by Mercedes but do they even have a supper license? They might not be eligible. They might need to bring in Hulkenberg and who else is an option?
The new rules say 3 years since driving in a race weekend or 300km of testing.

Vandoorne’s last F1 race was only in 2018 so I’m sure he’s fine. Merc wouldn’t fly him to races as reserve if he couldn’t drive...

Gutierrez would need 300km of testing to be eligible.

ringo

Bottas can win easily. I think he is experienced to know the value of seat time. And anybody going into that seat will have to absorb a lot very quickly. Russell is the best bet in terms of knowing how to race a mercedes engine and managing stints etc and even driving these WXX cars. So i tip Russel for the drive.
I think this will put some perspective in terms of how good Bottas is once Lewis shadow has lifted.
Russell needs this drive to at least get the points monkey off his back.
For Sure!!

dtro
dtro

ringo wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 20:28
Bottas can win easily. I think he is experienced to know the value of seat time. And anybody going into that seat will have to absorb a lot very quickly. Russell is the best bet in terms of knowing how to race a mercedes engine and managing stints etc and even driving these WXX cars. So i tip Russel for the drive.
I think this will put some perspective in terms of how good Bottas is once Lewis shadow has lifted.
Bottas has had some pretty bad starts, maybe having Lewis being out of the car will improve that but it might be giving Hamilton too much credit with regards to altering Bottas' mindset.

If Bottas loses to whoever gets in Lewis' car what does that say about him?

Gerhardsa

I think if Bottas has a normal weekend, anyone stepping into that seat next to him would have a very hard time beating him. The threat for victory will most probably not come from the guy in the 2nd merc seat, but from Verstappen as always.

Mogster

Gerhardsa wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 20:40
I think if Bottas has a normal weekend, anyone stepping into that seat next to him would have a very hard time beating him. The threat for victory will most probably not come from the guy in the 2nd merc seat, but from Verstappen as always.
Yes, and after 2 horrific weekends back to back Bottas is due a “normal” meeting.

Mogster

zibby43
zibby43

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 11:00
zibby43 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 10:55
Finally, Russell will be eligible for the seat if Mercedes does the following (i.e., Merc cannot unilaterally make the move, unless provided for in Russell's contract):

1) Provides adequate compensation to Williams

2) Provides Williams a suitable stand-in driver
I'm willing to bet he has his powerpoint out regardless.
:lol:

PowerPoint intensifies!

matt_b
matt_b

dtro wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 20:36
ringo wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 20:28
Bottas has had some pretty bad starts, maybe having Lewis being out of the car will improve that but it might be giving Hamilton too much credit with regards to altering Bottas' mindset.

If Bottas loses to whoever gets in Lewis' car what does that say about him?
Against Russell it wouldn't be the end of the world against Stoffel then that would be a shocker, Bottas would probably prefer Russell for that reason especially given his bad starts and general bad luck this season.

Wouter

GT:
Vandoorne awaits news. I just spoke to him and he is awaiting confirmation. He spoke to the team this morning and is one of the candidates, even if he is the third driver. He will go to Bahrain tomorrow whatever happens.

Miguel Portillo Formula1 All Around the world. Journalist Formula1, Formula2, Formula3 y Porsche Supercup en @Movistar_F1

GT:
Vandoorne got the call from Mercedes at 7 in the morning. He has a flight to Bahrain tomorrow, but he does not yet know his role for the weekend.
"Tomorrow when I arrive they will communicate the decision." For now, Hamilton's seat is still up in the air.

The Power of Dreams!

zibby43
zibby43

From a few minutes ago, confirming Benson’s report:

Vandoorne was always scheduled to be in Bahrain this weekend.

Merc’s first priority is Russell. If Williams agrees, Vandoorne would likely remain on standby for Bottas.