2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

zibby43 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 20:25
zibby43 wrote:Single Lap Pace

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

Cornering Performance (Merc dominant in the low-speed corners)

Race Pace

When I see slow-speed cornering performance like that from the W11, it makes it readily apparent to me that the car is extremely adaptable on set-up, and that while they may have stopped developing the car a while ago, they also started adhering to the “only win by as much as you need to” philosophy after the FIA tried to clip their wings with the quail mode ban.
It’s amazing how wrong the One Lap Pace analysis can be some times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think it was wrong, TBH.

And they’ve been pretty accurate (they’re not in the business of fortune telling) all year, within a few tenths.

It was wrong as far as Merc’s pace on the Softs was concerned.

It’s pretty easy to see that was the issue today, when a McLaren was within 2 tenths of pole and the entire midfield were much closer to Mercedes.

The Race Pace metric has lagged a bit. Hamilton usually ends up looking faster (with ease) compared to what the data projects.
I could give the under performance from Mercedes, but McLaren was supposed to be around 7 tenths of Redbull and that didn’t happen either... If they are going to post expected lap time deltas from the teams, they simply shouldn’t be getting it this wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven
Owner

Talk about Alonso's demo run in the R25 has been moved here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29543

ispano6

NathanOlder wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 18:55
yelistener wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:11
Mercedes went with a wrong setup or what? They've alway dominated in this track, now they lost the pole, and lost S2 particularly. WTH?
S2 both Mercs were quicker than Max, what were you watching?

infact all the purple sectors today went to Mercedes I believe. Their final runs I think Max was faster by 0.007, it was Sector 3 where Lewis lost pole. Lewis lost nearly 2 tenths to Valterri in S3.

Tomorrows race should be a good one. hopefully Lewis clears Bottas and then we can have a Max vs Lewis
Max went purple Sector 2.

FrukostScones wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 20:46
NathanOlder wrote:
yelistener wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:11
Mercedes went with a wrong setup or what? They've alway dominated in this track, now they lost the pole, and lost S2 particularly. WTH?

infact all the purple sectors today went to Mercedes I believe. Their final runs I think Max was faster by 0.007, it was Sector 3 where Lewis lost pole. Lewis lost nearly 2 tenths to Valterri in S3.

Tomorrows race should be a good one. hopefully Lewis clears Bottas and then we can have a Max vs Lewis
Merc have PU problems, MGU-K tuned down.
Yes. I think it’s connected to the PER failure a few weeks ago in Bahrain, so Merc are running detuned. Same for customer teams as far as I’m aware.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

This race will be fiya. Lets see how Max handles being chased this time around. He got passed on track the last time he lead the Mercs on equal footing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 05:02
This race will be fiya. Lets see how Max handles being chased this time around. He got passed on track the last time he lead the Mercs on equal footing.
He will have to be clearly faster, because unlike Hungary it's not that hard to pass here, specially when drs is available.
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

214270 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 04:14
FrukostScones wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Yes. I think it’s connected to the PER failure a few weeks ago in Bahrain, so Merc are running detuned. Same for customer teams as far as I’m aware.
So detuned that they outdragged RB16 on both long straights, and the corners implying the Mercedes is carrying more drag and more downforce. I wish I could detune my engine to let me run MORE downforce and still be faster on the straights.
Saishū kōnā

Racer X

search wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:22
Racer X wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:46
It's my understanding that when you set YOUR engine it must stay in THAT mode during Qualifying and Race. Which is why it makes it interesting because you've got to set it up right. If you set it too high and burn out like Racing Point did in Bahrain you will look fast for a minute but then boom. Or you could miscalculate and be too slow.

But the engine modes are each teams to lock in during Qualifying and Race.
I don't know, also AMuS was pretty clear back then that also team mates had to use the same modes - but it never made any sense to be, and the full ruleset was not published accessible for the public. It may have been just a misunderstanding, which was then copied by different outlets.
Yeah we would need clarification.
But I don't think all the engines are set to the same mode by Manufacturer because then Williams would have a lot more speed just by having a Merc Engine. Or is their chasy and aero package so bad not even a Merc Engine can save them?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Moore77

Racer X wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 07:23
search wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:22
Racer X wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:46
It's my understanding that when you set YOUR engine it must stay in THAT mode during Qualifying and Race. Which is why it makes it interesting because you've got to set it up right. If you set it too high and burn out like Racing Point did in Bahrain you will look fast for a minute but then boom. Or you could miscalculate and be too slow.

But the engine modes are each teams to lock in during Qualifying and Race.
I don't know, also AMuS was pretty clear back then that also team mates had to use the same modes - but it never made any sense to be, and the full ruleset was not published accessible for the public. It may have been just a misunderstanding, which was then copied by different outlets.
Yeah we would need clarification.
But I don't think all the engines are set to the same mode by Manufacturer because then Williams would have a lot more speed just by having a Merc Engine. Or is their chasy and aero package so bad not even a Merc Engine can save them?
By regulations, all modes have to be exactly same. Both hardware and software has to be same. So the new "quali/race" race mode would be similar across all, factory and customer teams. The only difference in actual performance would be the age of PU.
As for Williams, it's not just aero, but the whole vehicle dynamics would be pretty poor compared to Mercedes, which is why they are so far behind.
Last edited by Moore77 on 13 Dec 2020, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:19
214270 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

So detuned that they outdragged RB16 on both long straights, and the corners implying the Mercedes is carrying more drag and more downforce. I wish I could detune my engine to let me run MORE downforce and still be faster on the straights.

Translation:

"Still staying at Mercedes, the factory team opted for a more 'conservative' use of their PUs after the problems Russell had yesterday and the PU change on Perez. It would appear that they are concerned about the hybrid side of their units."

Combine that with Merc's struggles on the Softs (an issue that first popped up on Hamilton's first deleted flying lap on Softs in FP2), and you have today.

Solid lap from Max though. He saw the opportunity and capitalized upon it.

Going to be very hard for Merc to do anything about it tomorrow, and I'm sure Max will get a good start from pole.

Moore77

It would mean, they aren't using the STRAT 2, which is the highest hybrid power delivery mode. Would they have dialled down the ICE configuration too? I guess not, because that would make them mid field on performance.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

BosF1
BosF1

Moore77 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 07:54
By regulations, all modes have to be exactly same. Both hardware and software has to be same. So the new "quali/race" race mode would be similar across all, factory and customer teams. The only difference in actual performance would be the age of PU.
As for Williams, it's not just aero, but the whole vehicle dynamics would be pretty poor compared to Mercedes, which is why they are so far behind.
I am quite sure the regulations state that both the same hardware and software must be available to factory and customer teams. That is something different than actually using the same (software) specification. Teams can choose to run different setups, i.e different deployment strategies, but also different power outputs.

For example:
If I were Racing Point, I would let Perez' PU set to what was formerly known as a Q1 engine mode, so that he has more power available to him in the race. If they see that the engine can not sustain this for the whole race, they are allowed to set it to a lower output level during the race. He is not allowed to dial it up afterwards, though. But it has to deliver that output for just over 300km instead of 2000km.

tangodjango
tangodjango

godlameroso wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:19
214270 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Just shows how strong that PU is. Also a bit of a masterstroke at getting Honda + RBR's hopes up.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Schuttelberg

Lewis does not look well. I hope he's fine.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Phil

What did you see Schuttel? Or was that just based on interviews yesterday after qualifying?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter