2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: 2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

"There will have to be a balance between recovery and deployment" There was always a balance between recovery and deployment since the introduction of the hybrid power unit. Because recovery can only happen at certain points around a lap, Deploying needs be strategically deployed at strategic points around a lap. In 2026 with no MGU-H, deploying strategy will be more important.

mzso
mzso

saviour stivala wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 07:30
"There will have to be a balance between recovery and deployment" There was always a balance between recovery and deployment since the introduction of the hybrid power unit. Because recovery can only happen at certain points around a lap, Deploying needs be strategically deployed at strategic points around a lap. In 2026 with no MGU-H, deploying strategy will be more important.
Well, it seems like to me they can recover whenever not on throttle and even even in the few cases when less then ICE max power is required. So the recovery strategy seems easy to me. Whenever you break or turn you regenerate as much as you can. By the looks of it there's no RPM or speed restriction for generation.

On a different note. How do we know the often claimed 70kg fuel allowance is true? I don't see it in either of the documents.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Well, it's a repeat. But according to one FI engine project leader engineer how they recover energy will not be different from the way it is at present. and I believe that he is fully conversant with the rules set of what he is actually leading. As to the fuel load, a lot is not written in the rules, but also a lot would have been agreed upon. Besides there is still a way to go for the new formula, and so am sure that rules let out so far will lead to a final and complete set of rules on the spirits of what had been agreed upon.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

mzso wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 12:02
... By the looks of it there's no RPM or speed restriction for generation.....
... How do we know the often claimed 70kg fuel allowance is true? ....
(as current) below c.5500 rpm the generation torque is capped - so below this generated power will fall with rpm

isn't the total fuel energy (and fuel rate) to be c. 70% of that currently available via the fuel mass and mass rate limits ?
ie the 2026 total fuel (load) could be eg 100 kg if the total fuel energy of that load doesn't exceed the c. 70%
this would happen if the fuel blend contained eg much alcohol

mzso
mzso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 13:44
(as current) below c.5500 rpm the generation torque is capped - so below this generated power will fall with rpm
I didn't see anything for in the 2026 documents for limiting generation. And only a delivery limit above 300 km/h.
Tommy Cookers wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 13:44
isn't the total fuel energy (and fuel rate) to be c. 70% of that currently available via the fuel mass and mass rate limits ?
Perhaps, but I didn't see that either. I only see a fuel energy flow limit.

mzso
mzso

saviour stivala wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 13:13
As to the fuel load, a lot is not written in the rules, but also a lot would have been agreed upon. Besides there is still a way to go for the new formula, and so am sure that rules let out so far will lead to a final and complete set of rules on the spirits of what had been agreed upon.
Well, the PU regulations were released, and everyone is designing them. So it would be weird if something would to change. Also weird if the fuel consumption wouldn't be settled.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Yes. That the 2026 power unit is well into its making (design), it all means that a set of rules as to it's making (design) had been agreed upon. It also means that what 'we' doesn't see written in the rules pushed out so far have no effect at all on the work being undertaken. The only effect of what we don't see written in the rules is on our doubtfulness/imagination/and speculation.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... /10489333/

F1 chiefs urged to avoid risk of "Frankenstein cars" in 2026

Formula 1 chiefs have been urged to ramp up analysis about the true impact of new rules for 2026, amid fears from some teams they could spawn "Frankenstein cars".

One team boss said: "This needs a lot of detailed analysis because if we get it wrong then it will not be good for the spectacle. We could have drivers left on economy drives to look after their batteries, or having to change down gears on the straights.

While simulations have indicated that the new engines will operate without issue at circuits that are good for power regeneration, there is no guarantee their performance profile will suit every track.

Some early murmurs about the regs, not too sure what to think about it.

wuzak
wuzak

I've been worried about that for a while.

As regards to tracks that don't have good recovery, they tend to be the faster tracks, with not many slow corners, and so will not use the full power nearly as much.

wuzak
wuzak

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/urgen ... /10489541/
Horner said that another issue that needed to be factored into the evaluation of the 2026 rules was the extra weight of the batteries, which he has described as "colossal."

"One of the big impacts for 2026 is weight," he said.

"You're looking at pretty much a 30-kilogramme swing, on cars that are already approaching the sort of sportscar type of weight through the cooling."
Am I missing something?

The 2026 rules pretty much have the same batteries as the current cars (mass is up 10kg, but more items are included in that mass).

Or is it just that there needs to be additional cooling to cope with the higher power going into and out of the battery?

vorticism

Without MGUH I assume block split turbos will be gone in favor of trad compact turbos. Looks like they're sticking with cold vee single turbo arrangement, which will force everyone to use the longstanding Ferrari/Renault layout 2026 onward (why does this thread have two years in the title?)
𓄀

gruntguru
gruntguru

Good point. No doubt they will be able to mount the turbo a bit lower without the MGUH-in-Vee constraint.
je suis charlie

vorticism

I suppose that decision will be all down to evaluating the mass of the extra long connecting shaft as a % of total rotating mass. In either case, the new lower mounting height limit should be the clutch or engine output shaft.
𓄀

wuzak
wuzak

vorticism wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:21
Without MGUH I assume block split turbos will be gone in favor of trad compact turbos. Looks like they're sticking with cold vee single turbo arrangement, which will force everyone to use the longstanding Ferrari/Renault layout 2026 onward (why does this thread have two years in the title?)
The original target for introducing these engines was 2025?

The rules specify the distance between the turbine and compressor faces, so split turbo is not allowed.

wuzak
wuzak

Verstappen on the 2026 rules

“I've been talking about that as well with the team, and I've seen the data already on the simulator as well,” he said. “To me, it looks pretty terrible.

“If you go flat-out on the straight at Monza, and I don't know what it is, like four or five hundred [metres] before the end of the straight, you have to downshift flat-out because that's faster. I think that's not the way forward. But of course, probably that's one of the worst tracks.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1s-2 ... /10490934/

Christian Horner

"I think that perhaps where we need to pay urgent attention, before it's too late, is to look at the ratio between combustion power and electrical power," he said at the Austrian Grand Prix.

"[We need] to ensure that we're not creating a technical Frankenstein, which will require the chassis to compensate to such a degree with moveable aero and reduce the drag to such a level that the racing will be affected – and that there will be no tow effect and no DRS because effectively you're running like that at all points in time.

"Plus, with the characteristics of these engines, that the combustion engine just doesn't become a generator to recharge a battery."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/urgen ... /10489541/