2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

peewon wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 19:27
diffuser wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 14:58
peewon wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 06:47

First things first, if this is true, not a good indicator of where Alpine might be in development for next season. They would not be looking at drastic restructuring if they felt they were in a good place. Could be wrong, could simply be further developments in Brivio's future intentions.

On to Szafnauer. This is entirely based on his interviews with Sky when they have a team principal join commentary mid-session for a weekend. So may not be worth much, but he seems to completely lack any objectivity. Which I suppose is part of the job of the team principal (to present his team in the best light) when talking to the media. But while other TP's often do it with subtlety and statesmanship, OS has all the nuance of a carnival barker. Budkowski seems far more measured, intelligent and self-aware whenever Ive heard him speak.

His comments after the brake duct controversy and aero rule changes for this year are also fairly embarrassing imo. Sounded like someone trying to cover up their own incompetence or possibly acting as a mouth piece for someone like Lawrence Stroll or Toto.

Couple that with whatever RP/AM has done since Stroll takeover and Szafnauer promotion, I cant point to anything positive which is not explained by simply copying the Merc. I thought opting to go for Vettell was a strange decision too. Telling that AM brought in Whitmarsh before a critical rule change season.

Now, having said that, the role of TP is extends far beyond that behind the scenes and its possible hes excellent but where's the evidence for it?

So to summarize, No. Do not look at it as a positive development while acknowledging reasonable amounts of unknown information which could prove me completely wrong.

Brivio is a racing director, not Team Principle. Alpine never replaced Cyril in that job.
Team Principles don't design cars. The Technical Directors are at the top of that tree.

The whole pink Mercedes idea was a good one and got them to 3ird in the championship. Remember they got away with that, since there was no rules against it. They just ended up with a minor slap on the wrist. They also forced the creation of rules to prevent that for 2021 and beyond. Not sure how much of that was his doing. If they had better drivers they could have gone higher.

Pre Stroll, he did a good job over there. I'm not sure how free his hands are now since they became Austin Martin. Also I don't think the drivers are his choice. but I don't know.
I think they were looking to Brivio to fill that role (commercial, logistics management) with Budkowski filling the role as a director on the technical side. I understand TPs are not usually directly involved in car design, etc. but theyre certainly involved with staff appointments, strategic decisions on the technical side. Really varies from team to team.

However, a common area of responsibility for TPs is being a public face for the team and Szafnauer was extremely unimpressive in that aspect. AM got away with the pink Mercedes stuff because Toto/Stroll is a powerful and influential block in current F1. But couldn't capitalize on it and immediately fell off this year. Followed by OS whining how the rule changes were designed to hurt them (low rake cars) in particular. Not a good look.
I agree his whinning was not a good look...

diffuser

Looks like Autosport now reporting it too.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston ... e/6770234/

If Brivio does depart, it means that Szafnauer could fulfil more of a team principal role, with Alpine's executive director Marcin Budkowski taking more responsibility on the racing and technical side.

diffuser

and now we've gone full circle as the F1 web site says ...

Omar wrote: "My Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team communications staff have correctly issued a spokeperson's statement to the effect that rumours linking me to Alpine F1 Team are merely 'speculative conjecture' and that they would not therefore comment further.

"However, since the rumours have now been sensationalised on certain websites, creating a spiral of misinformation, I have taken the decision proactively to confirm hereby that the rumours are pure media speculation and not based on fact."

Wouter

:lol: :lol: :lol: Kvyat!

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

That is at least 1000 km by bus!!

🤗.🤗.🤗.👍

The Power of Dreams!

Michelangelo

I guess they swapped positions at the finish.

Pany

I PUT GREAT INTEREST in Alpine renault. But now..... what a shame, a factory team on par for 5ft position with a slave team with only one driver good. Oh my god, this team is not gonna go anywhare next year... dobt tell the bullshit they are preparing to 2022 since long time

Pany

I PUT GREAT INTEREST in Alpine renault. But now..... what a shame, a factory team on par for 5ft position with a slave team with only one driver good. Oh my god, this team is not gonna go anywhare next year... dont tell the bullshit they are preparing to 2022 since long time

Jambier

And now they are targeting 2024 for… podiums. Being a fan of this team is a nightmare indeed

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 23:24
And now they are targeting 2024 for… podiums. Being a fan of this team is a nightmare indeed
Yeah, not sure what's up with that statement about targetiing consistant podiums in 2024.

selvam_e2002

Alonso will leave by 2023 if nothing happen.

Mansell89

It would be a travesty if they aren’t competitive power and car wise next year having been seemingly building for these new regs for so long.

Let’s see how it pans out first.

draghixa

Let's be optimistic, if Alpine can keep a three-year-old car fighting with most teams unlike the Hass, they must have some really good people behind.

Andres125sx

selvam_e2002 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 09:09
Alonso will leave by 2023 if nothing happen.
Or next season. But I´m still hopeful he returned to F1 because Alpine proyect for 2022 looks good. This season perfomance is irrelevant, actually you could argue its a good sign for next season as they focused on 2022 quite soon

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!