2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

GoranF1 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 17:28
I am afraid Alonso is getting old...
Only about 0.4 seconds covering the top 10.. and lando’s lap ahow the difference a few clean lines can have.. i think we need to see a few more races before we pass judgement.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

radosav
radosav

GoranF1 wrote:
he is, but i remember few years ago in indy and fiawec he was very very fast, although he had great cars but the speed was there, so i hope he need just few races to adapt to f1

radosav
radosav

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... a/6314069/
he sayss he cant feel the limit of the car 🤷

RedNEO

GoranF1 wrote:
Here’s what I believe is happening.. I could see a pattern forming in the practice sessions where they would go out on identical runs and Ocon would be closer to the limit of the car on his first attempt then only improve marginally on the second and third time on the same tyres where as Alonso was the same 4 tenths behind on the first attempt and then closed the gap often going even slightly faster by the end of the runs.

Should the team have anticipated this and slightly altered the run plan for Alonso in qualifying like Aston did with Vettel by giving him two runs instead of one on the same tyre? Maybe..

What it shows though is he lacks confidence in the car to extract the maximum on the first lap but once he’s in a rhythm the lap time is there. Because of the nature of this circuit and how unforgiving it is if you take risks without fully trusting your car you end up in the wall like Yuki.

Sainz/Ric/Vettel/Perez all struggled with the same thing to varying degrees granted none of them had two years out the sport and had never driven this new configuration in these cars like Alonso.

Underestimate Alonso at your peril but even a driver of his calibre needs some bedding in time. :)

RedNEO

radosav wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 23:31
Vettel, Riccardo, Sainz and Perez all saying the same thing. It would be crazy to already be at the limit of a car after one race in a new team. It will only show on tracks where taking risk can be heavily punished.

If this race was the last one of the season I think none of them would be having this problem. But having a street like circuit in only the second race isn’t ideal for drivers in new teams and drivers like Alonso who haven’t even driven these cars here and been out for years.

Redragon

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 19:14
GoranF1 wrote:
Only about 0.4 seconds covering the top 10.. and lando’s lap ahow the difference a few clean lines can have.. i think we need to see a few more races before we pass judgement.
Sainz might be old too. Too early for judgement.

radosav
radosav

well the time will tell

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 00:27
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 19:14
GoranF1 wrote:
Sainz might be old too. Too early for judgement.
And Riccardo. :)

Took Ocon most of last year to get on par with Danny Ric. Same with Danny Ric the year before.

Alo is there for at least 2 more years, no point being to quick to Judgement.

JordanMugen

RedNEO wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 23:41
radosav wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 23:31
Vettel, Riccardo, Sainz and Perez all saying the same thing. It would be crazy to already be at the limit of a car after one race in a new team. It will only show on tracks where taking risk can be heavily punished.

If this race was the last one of the season I think none of them would be having this problem. But having a street like circuit in only the second race isn’t ideal for drivers in new teams and drivers like Alonso who haven’t even driven these cars here and been out for years.
All circuits are meant to be like this though! The ones with acres of runoff are just not right!

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I am a fan of Alonso however I am really disappointed with his recent outing in Alpine. He is the driver who can quickly adopt the car hence he is rated high in F1. So we cannot compare Alonso with Sainz, Rick Vettel etc....

The things is that, we could not see his running in our local channel. So not sure what really went wrong with him and car. The .4 tenth is too high compared with Ocon.

Alonso should not take entire year to come to his old form. I think by Spain or Monaco Alonso should regain his confident in the car as he did it before in 2018.

radosav
radosav

selvam_e2002 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 09:12
I am a fan of Alonso however I am really disappointed with his recent outing in Alpine. He is the driver who can quickly adopt the car hence he is rated high in F1. So we cannot compare Alonso with Sainz, Rick Vettel etc....

The things is that, we could not see his running in our local channel. So not sure what really went wrong with him and car. The .4 tenth is too high compared with Ocon.

Alonso should not take entire year to come to his old form. I think by Spain or Monaco Alonso should regain his confident in the car as he did it before in 2018.
he was just slow as he said, maybe he is too old, these new kids are fast, they may not be perfect racers but they are young and fast, i am alonso fan too but wishes are one thing and reality is other🤷, we have to wait and see

RedNEO

selvam_e2002 wrote:

But he hasn’t driven in F1 since 2018 so it balances out

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:30
selvam_e2002 wrote:

I don't think it's worth talking about him before he has even finished 1 race yet. Don't forget officially the Quali score is tied 1/1 with Ocon. Alpine is gonna wait till the middle of next year to look back at what he's done. So why would we be ready to judge him now?

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

diffuser wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 14:09
RedNEO wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:30
selvam_e2002 wrote:

I don't think it's worth talking about him before he has even finished 1 race yet. Don't forget officially the Quali score is tied 1/1 with Ocon. Alpine is gonna wait till the middle of next year to look back at what he's done. So why would we be ready to judge him now?
Because, we had lot of expectation from Alonso!!

GoranF1
GoranF1

Very very slowly Alonso''s pace trough the race is getting more constant and stable. It seems car doesnt suit his style at all, but i expect him to overcome this in 2nd part of the season.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."