2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Bottas did not have a bad start, did he? It was just Hamilton, right?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dans79

I think more than anything, Lewis was probably trying to make sure he didn't get taken out. Max doesn't seem to have any appreciable pace advantage, unless something really goes wrong at the start tomorrow Mercedes will have all the tactical advantages.
197 104 103 7

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

dans79 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 18:34
I think more than anything, Lewis was probably trying to make sure he didn't get taken out. Max doesn't seem to have any appreciable pace advantage, unless something really goes wrong at the start tomorrow Mercedes will have all the tactical advantages.
Obviously I'm just trying to look for positives, but at least with Max starting from P1 there's less chance of him taking Lewis out with a reckless overtaking manoeuvre at the start.

The problem is that it doesn't look like Mercedes has enough of a pace advantage to overtake or get and stay within DRS, if Lewis is going to take the lead I think he has to do it at the start, or try to stay within undercut range.

Hamilton and Bottas must maximize their results tomorrow, with Perez starting from last this is a opportunity to catch up some constructors points.

I'm probably just stating the obvious but anyway.

Big Tea

Just to stir the pot, free tyre choice tomorrow.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zibby43
zibby43

Marty_Y wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 20:38
dans79 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 18:34
Obviously I'm just trying to look for positives, but at least with Max starting from P1 there's less chance of him taking Lewis out with a reckless overtaking manoeuvre at the start.

The problem is that it doesn't look like Mercedes has enough of a pace advantage to overtake or get and stay within DRS, if Lewis is going to take the lead I think he has to do it at the start, or try to stay within undercut range.

Hamilton and Bottas must maximize their results tomorrow, with Perez starting from last this is a opportunity to catch up some constructors points.

I'm probably just stating the obvious but anyway.
Agree with all of this. Max has the pace to keep P1. Don’t think the Mercs can challenge on pace.

Degradation/strategy/SC will likely decide the outcome.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Get in there Lewis!

nzjrs

Dropping this here. What are the feelings about the Championship "being over" now?

Looks pretty epic to me!

nzjrs wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:14
Mattyw wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:13
VER gona breeze this whole championship, a shame really we aren't seeing a scrap
I think Silverstone will be the barometer if it will stay tight or not.

In any case, one DNF and the whole thing is back on.

WaikeCU

I’m gonna change this conversation you guys are having. Props to the team to call the swap. It gave Lewis the chance to catch Leclerc!

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:31
Dropping this here. What are the feelings about the Championship "being over" now?

Looks pretty epic to me!

nzjrs wrote:
Mattyw wrote:
VER gona breeze this whole championship, a shame really we aren't seeing a scrap

It is only courtesy of what was essentially a double DNF for Red Bull. But you are right. There are so many ebbs and flows just like this one in a season. It could swing back wildly there other way next race. It’s really going to depend on what these upgrades shake out like over the upcoming weekends. It was probably the last roll of the dice.

There will I am sure be more twists. I just hope people on here can keep themselves in check through it all.

Spacepace

nzjrs wrote:

Looks pretty epic to me!

nzjrs wrote:
Mattyw wrote:

I could see Mercedes being competitive at Hungary too now that they've found a bit of performance and being that Mercedes likes front limited circuits. Tyres might help them now too. But I can't see Red Bull taking there foot off the pedal for development

WaikeCU

Spacepace wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:38
nzjrs wrote:

Looks pretty epic to me!

nzjrs wrote:

I could see Mercedes being competitive at Hungary too now that they've found a bit of performance and being that Mercedes likes front limited circuits. Tyres might help them now too. But I can't see Red Bull taking there foot off the pedal for development
Hard to tell. Twisty circuit and looking at Silverstone sector 3, the RB of Max was fastest of all there.

mkay
mkay

Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:38
That surely was a great comeback! Take your rivals out and call it an epic recovery! =D> =D> =D> =D>
This isn't the first time a racing incident occurred between race and WDC leaders.

In 2018, Kimi outbraked himself at T3 and hit Hamilton who ended up last as a result. Kimi earned a 10sec penalty.

At least stewards were consistent for what was a race incident with WDC implications.
WaikeCU wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:40
Hard to tell. Twisty circuit and looking at Silverstone sector 3, the RB of Max was fastest of all there.
They'll be running different aero packages in Hungary so you can't look much into Silverstone sector 3. I still think RB will be the car to beat, though.

Curious to see if Verstappen's power unit is toast; because if it is, that surely means he'll have to take a new set at some point and incur grid penalties.
Last edited by mkay on 18 Jul 2021, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:35
I’m gonna change this conversation you guys are having. Props to the team to call the swap. It gave Lewis the chance to catch Leclerc!
Exactly. People will grumble about team orders but it netted them an extra 8 WCC points so it was the right move that any team worth their salt would do. Bottas was not going to get LeClerc.

Also he’s not in the WDC fight so it was the right move for both campaigns. Anyone who can’t see that simply isn’t looking at it objectively.

max_speed
max_speed

Is bottas even a racer , he is doing all this to pay grocery bills. I have no respect for him. It does not matter what he did today he will still be shown the door.

WaikeCU

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:41
WaikeCU wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:35
Exactly. People will grumble about team orders but it netted them an extra 8 WCC points so it was the right move that any team worth their salt would do. Bottas was not going to get LeClerc.

Also he’s not in the WDC fight so it was the right move for both campaigns. Anyone who can’t see that simply isn’t looking at it objectively.
Exactly.

Imagine us moaning about RB and Perez at Paul Ricard... :D

Anyways again moving off topic. :lol:

Straightline speed is definitely there and do they still have that bulky rear wing? I feel they have turned up the engine a bit this weekend