2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Well

dans79

MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 17:50
Well
I just posted the same thing in the race thread!

and lets not forget what Toto said!
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... l/6782936/
I've always been very diplomatic in how I discuss things. But diplomacy has ended today.
197 104 103 7

ringo

Watched it with the sound off.
Max let the car run deep by not braking enough and momentarily opened the steering lock to obstruct Hamilton.
Dirtier than Shumacher ever was.
For Sure!!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

dans79 wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 17:53
MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 17:50
Well
I just posted the same thing in the race thread!

and lets not forget what Toto said!
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... l/6782936/
I've always been very diplomatic in how I discuss things. But diplomacy has ended today.
I think that this is the right approach going forward, because if it isn't challenged you will end up in a situation where it is impossible to overtake on track without risking being run off the track or damage to the car.

Toto was interviewed by channel 4 (UK TV) and he said in the past the philosophy was to settle things on the track without being overly litigious, but from now on they will be questioning everything. The example he gave was Red Bull working on (strengthening the wing with tape etc.) their car for the last three qualifications in a row. He said from now on we will be questioning everything, every piece of tape, everything.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Jaisonas wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 19:11
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 6107654150
That last statement aged like fine wine
https://i.imgur.com/XZwszX0.jpg
20m onto the run off is not 'on the racetrack'

kenshi_blind

Jaisonas wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/XZwszX0.jpg
Damn, the projection is strong on this one :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Jaisonas wrote:
I mean there is a clear difference and a very solid reason for Mercedes to challenge this. The challenge establishes whether this is a valid way to race regardless of if there is a punishment or not.

mstar
mstar

toto has a point, 3 races in a row RB wing cracks (whatever), in FP3/Qualy. But is fine for the race. This shows to me they are experimenting with material composites of the wing, to get more flex. If they hiding behind the "safety" banner when really they using a R&D flex wing (on track testing) which goes to much and cracks/deforms in FP/qualy only, then Merc have a right to ask the FIA to say enough is enough, they need to redesign the wing OR have FIX all weekend and not keep repairing. There was a reason WHY max went to inspect the wing. A driver is no composite/aerodynamicist he must of been told something like "their wing maybe more bendy, have a look, it must be the reason".

The issue i have with all this is that Mercedes was NOT allowed to even view / inspect the wing to provide evidence what happened. FIA in the past UNDER SUPERVISION, have allowed teams to inspect illegal items before (Benneton/Renault/RBR/BAR/Mclaren/Ferrari, but they didn't allow Mercedes to view and allow an analysis to be done, so they can present the reason why (e.g bird might of hit it, stone or even a screw malfunctioned etc). This was the most strange thing in my opinion. It was almost like they was saying you failed, but we not letting you see or tell you anymore to make any fixes so it doesn't happen again. I almost think they wanted to keep Merc in the dark so they cannot do anything to rectify the issue in case it happens again in the race. This is what Toto was angry about.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... RzRnl.html
Lewis Hamilton topped qualifying in Brazil before being disqualified, then made up 15 places in the Sprint, took another grid penalty for an engine change, then made up another 10 places to win the Sao Paulo Grand Prix. So how did he do it? Mark Hughes looks at the factors that helped the Mercedes driver – with technical illustrations from Giorgio Piola.

dans79

Marty_Y wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 22:53
Lewis Hamilton topped qualifying in Brazil before being disqualified, then made up 15 places in the Sprint, took another grid penalty for an engine change, then made up another 10 places to win the Sao Paulo Grand Prix. So how did he do it? Mark Hughes looks at the factors that helped the Mercedes driver – with technical illustrations from Giorgio Piola.

This is a really interesting bit of information.
As is well known, Mercedes have been carrying a reliability issue with its power units during the second half of the season, believed to centre around a materials batch issue, with cracks developing around components in the bottom end of the engine.

With Hamilton’s PU4 (introduced in Istanbul) and PU5, Mercedes believe they have largely solved that issue. But without the introduction of the fifth engine, PU4 would have been required to do all seven races since its introduction.
Also this referenced article also has a good bit of information.
Essentially the Mercedes was more balanced than the Red Bull in how it used its front and rear tyres. The set-up Lewis referred to came from some fairly deep analysis with the Mercedes team back at base. In 2019 it had a dominant car and yet had been beaten quite handily by Red Bull around Interlagos.

“When we looked at the aero package, the mechanical package, the power unit, we weren’t finding answers as to why were we so poor in 2019,” said trackside engineering chief Andrew Shovlin. “So it was all about set-up. We were determined to rethink things and come here with a car which could set pole position.”
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

dans79 wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 23:09
Marty_Y wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 22:53

This is a really interesting bit of information.
As is well known, Mercedes have been carrying a reliability issue with its power units during the second half of the season, believed to centre around a materials batch issue, with cracks developing around components in the bottom end of the engine.

With Hamilton’s PU4 (introduced in Istanbul) and PU5, Mercedes believe they have largely solved that issue. But without the introduction of the fifth engine, PU4 would have been required to do all seven races since its introduction.
Also this referenced article also has a good bit of information.
Essentially the Mercedes was more balanced than the Red Bull in how it used its front and rear tyres. The set-up Lewis referred to came from some fairly deep analysis with the Mercedes team back at base. In 2019 it had a dominant car and yet had been beaten quite handily by Red Bull around Interlagos.

“When we looked at the aero package, the mechanical package, the power unit, we weren’t finding answers as to why were we so poor in 2019,” said trackside engineering chief Andrew Shovlin. “So it was all about set-up. We were determined to rethink things and come here with a car which could set pole position.”

Thanks for sharing this homie. That detail about the engine is really insightful about the mysterious problems.

I’m guessing next years PU before homologation will be built like a tank with all,the same power if not more. Dangerous thing about Mercedes is, when someone starts catching them, instead of getting dethroned they just end up finding another gear to make their own stuff better. Pretty demoralising tbh. You looo at Ferrari in comparison and they show you how easy it is to make progress climbing up 🧗‍♀️ only for them to lose their way, tumble off and land hard on their arse. And start over again although it’s mad impressive how quickly they made their way back up to have another crack at Mercedes, and now Honda.

west52keep64

Interesting, very interesting. So Mercedes have asked for a review, as is their right, and this is exactly what Red Bull did after Silverstone. The key difference here I feel, is the new evidence is quite clearly new because it wasn't available to the stewards at the time, and it's absolutely relevant. So on that basis it does seem like the review will conclude an appeal can be heard. That means the stewards will look at the incident again and make a new decision using the new evidence.

zibby43
zibby43

west52keep64 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 00:30
Interesting, very interesting. So Mercedes have asked for a review, as is their right, and this is exactly what Red Bull did after Silverstone. The key difference here I feel, is the new evidence is quite clearly new because it wasn't available to the stewards at the time, and it's absolutely relevant. So on that basis it does seem like the review will conclude an appeal can be heard. That means the stewards will look at the incident again and make a new decision using the new evidence.
Yeah, Merc didn’t have to manufacture the evidence with Alex Albon.

ringo

That Honda engine is annoyingly reliable.
If it goes to the end that's 8 races straight. Very impressive. It's been in from Russia.
That block must be made out of titanium. I kinda waiting to see if even the slightest of issue happens to any of their units.

Mercedes have a lot of work to do to create a similarly bullet proof engine next year. And they dont have an aircraft division to take materials and turbine knowledge from.
This year's unit has worn out like paper straw in a hot beverage.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

ringo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 03:35
That Honda engine is annoyingly reliable.
If it goes to the end that's 8 races straight. Very impressive. It's been in from Russia.
That block must be made out of titanium. I kinda waiting to see if even the slightest of issue happens to any of their units.

Mercedes have a lot of work to do to create a similarly bullet proof engine next year. And they dont have an aircraft division to take materials and turbine knowledge from.
This year's unit has worn out like paper straw in a hot beverage.
Apparently it was a batch issue for materials and it was rectified with PU4 (the Turkey unit) for Hamilton (per Mark Hughes).

PU5 was a strategic choice to run with more juice to the end with PU4 serving as the practice unit (per Shovlin).

So, to your point, I think they’ve worked hard this year to resolve the issue as best as possible.