2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Was Bottas really that bad today? I feel he got caught up by a bad start on the dirty side, but after things settled he was driving well until he got the suprise puncture. With the offset he was creating to Perez he would have passed him for sure.

siskue2005

It doesnt matter if bottas can give help or not
or If Max or Perez get the fastest lap or not

With 2 races Lewis needs to win them both, even if Max gets fastest lap or not its not going to be different come the last race'
The Gap in WDC will be 0 points or 2 points in last race, either way Lewis needs to win them both.

Coming to team championship, Bottas needs to finish 4 the in the next races with Lewis winning both and the team championship is secured, no matter Redbull gets the fastest laps or not

Saudi Lewis 1st Max 2nd Perez 3rd Bottas 4th - Redbull fastest lap
WDC 2 points deficit to Max
TC Merc scores 3 points more than Redbull; Merc still in lead

Repeat the same next race, both championship in hand

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:15

With 2 races Lewis needs to win them both, even if Max gets fastest lap or not its not going to be different come the last race'
The Gap in WDC will be 0 points or 2 points in last race, either way Lewis needs to win them both.

Coming to team championship, Bottas needs to finish 4 the in the next races with Lewis winning both and the team championship is secured, no matter Redbull gets the fastest laps or not
It’s very true. Two wins = championship. Let’s just hope for two clean races with no bad luck for anyone or any shenanigans.

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:20
siskue2005 wrote:

It’s very true. Two wins = championship. Let’s just hope for two clean races with no bad luck for anyone or any shenanigans.
True,
All Lewis needs to do is finish first in next 2 races to secure WDC
&
All Bottas needs to do is finish 4th or higher to secure Constructors

Redbull can have the fastest lap in both races no problem

ringo

Bottas needs a P-2. This track was the easiest opportunity for him if he did not get the penalties.
The next track is also a possibility. A merc 1-2 can really put redbull on the back foot. Max cannot crash Lewis out in the last race with the Jeddah 1-2.
But Lewis will still need to win all the races.

Unleash the Kraken engine!!! 8)
For Sure!!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Sounds like Lewis is feeling fit and healthy and pumped up for the fight ahead.

'It was pretty lonely at the front'
Race winner Lewis Hamilton: "It was pretty straightforward - it was pretty lonely at the front - of course I enjoy those races where you are battling through but we needed those points today.

"A solid job from the team with pit stops and the car, and I can't wait to watch the replay of the race to see what happened behind me.

"I'm not sure why people's tyres were going - I'm sure it's the curbs but I'm grateful for these points. It has been a hell of a year and to be at this point in the year and to have back-to-back wins is a great feeling - puts us in good place for the next two.

"I'm really happy with the car and I'm fitter than I've ever felt - bring on the next two."

'They woke up the lion'
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff on Sky Sports: "It is funny because the initial feeling is bittersweet as both championships are so important now. Lewis was great - that one point [for fastest lap] is a bit annoying but it is great he won, and the good news is that the car is really fast. It seemed to be in a happy spot, he controlled the race from the front and is a good indication for what is to come in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

"[The puncture for Bottas] came out of nowhere we tried to reconstruct it afterwards - knowing when it happened and looking at the data, there was no indication and there was a tiny vibration and never enough to pit the car and unfortunate for him he was the first one to pick up the puncture."

"[With Lewis] they woke up the lion in Interlagos and you see that. I have really enjoyed the ride - I have enjoyed every minute. We have got to push for maximum attack and catch up, and make some points up [at the next round.]"

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Toto said Spicy PU coming back for Brazil. There are literally no corners that track. I expect merc to qualify ahead by a comfortable 0.5 seconds if not more. Even if Max gets ahead. The Honda engine is probably stretched at this point. It would be an easy overtake.

PlatinumZealot

We can win this. :idea:

The race was good but could be better.
Bottas' undoing was ignoring that yellow flag / incapacitated car on the track. If he hadn't that penalty he would have been up there with Lewis and easily keeping Max at bay. I really believe the car had the pace for that.

So yeah we do have the fastest car now folks. It showed some sparks of dominance in a couple races back like Turkey, Monza but it never quite blossomed until Brazil. Now I get the feeling the engineers and the drivers are really on top of this beast. Can't say if it's totally Power unit based, but the car looks like it it working well in rear limited sections now. Quatar was front limited, but in the rear limited turns the car still could match RedBull. Mix those car elements with two riled drivers and Mercedes finally look like championship contenders.

We have two fast tracks coming. Best thing about them, there are few deep braking zones. Jeddah and Abudhabi will be about brining those "BFR" engines back into play and nailing the right balance. Tyre life should not be an issue. If everything is perfect we should see of the year with a succession of one two's. RBR won't know what hit'em. :!:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

hape wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 12:50
adrianjordan wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 11:01
SiLo wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 00:44
I am now 100% convinced that Red Bull are just playing PR with the engine stuff. Anyone with half a brain can see that the speed differences really weren't that much at all. A bigger question is, why are Red Bull so slow on the straights all of a sudden?
My guess would be because their tricky bendy aero has been banned and their PU is possibly getting a bit high mileage.
It’s not like RB is suddenly slow, what Hamilton achieved in Brazil hasn’t been seen lately in F1. Starting from 10th and win the race with a impressive 10s advantage over the second car. He overtook all cars in front of him with incredible ease. Not long ago, even this season, he would get stuck somewhere, now he started 7 places behind a Ferrari (the best of the rest team) but still able to almost lap him….
Verstappen was 17th through the Speed Trap. Hamilton was not even fastest.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ringo

What happens if Max wins the next round?
For Sure!!

Big Tea

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:23
El Scorchio wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:20
siskue2005 wrote:

True,
All Lewis needs to do is finish first in next 2 races to secure WDC
&
All Bottas needs to do is finish 4th or higher to secure Constructors

Redbull can have the fastest lap in both races no problem
To me, the weak point there looks like being Bottas. He is a very fast driver, but sometimes a liability as a racer
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

siskue2005

ringo wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 20:06
That will almost guarantee him the championship

Aesop
Aesop

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 20:17
ringo wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 20:06
That will almost guarantee him the championship
That won't happen, such is the paceadvantage of the Mercs. It's Hamiltons title to lose now. Somehow Mercedes have found another gear, be it the engine, the rearwing or some unknown and secret upgrade. (Secret since they were supposed to have stopped development on the W12 almost 6 months ago...)
I can't see Verstappen turn this around one more time without some incident on track.

mstar
mstar

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 19:09
hape wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 11:01

My guess would be because their tricky bendy aero has been banned and their PU is possibly getting a bit high mileage.
It’s not like RB is suddenly slow, what Hamilton achieved in Brazil hasn’t been seen lately in F1. Starting from 10th and win the race with a impressive 10s advantage over the second car. He overtook all cars in front of him with incredible ease. Not long ago, even this season, he would get stuck somewhere, now he started 7 places behind a Ferrari (the best of the rest team) but still able to almost lap him….
Verstappen was 17th through the Speed Trap. Hamilton was not even fastest. Horner is full of hot air and BS and should just keep quiet, rather than grab attention by making false accusations.
Horner, said the protest will probably come in next race and last race if they see such a speed advantage as this is "not possible to have such a differential in speed".
There concerns was more for next races as they see mercedes have a advantage if they have the straight line speed advantage like in Brazil

siskue2005

mstar wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 20:35
adrianjordan wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 19:09
hape wrote:

Verstappen was 17th through the Speed Trap. Hamilton was not even fastest. Horner is full of hot air and BS and should just keep quiet, rather than grab attention by making false accusations.
Moaner, said the protest will probably come in next race and last race if they see such a speed advantage as this is "not possible to have such a differential in speed".
There concerns was more for next races as they see mercedes have a advantage if they have the straight line speed advantage like in Brazil
He is just trying and hoping in saying so Merc (if they have something) wont use it.
What are they going to protest? scratch marks? :lol: FIA has cleared every car with their new tests this weekend.
They wont protest anything, coz they don't have anything to protest.
He said in Brazil that they will protest next race