2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Tvetovnato wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 07:43
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... s/6862976/

Finally a clear confirmation. I’ve been amazed how many considers Abu Dhabi to suddenly be a Red Bull track after they won last year, when Merc has dominated every race there since 2014. Never base assumptions on outliers..
Shovlin said that both the team and Hamilton were well prepared for the weekend ahead, though, having done extensive work on the simulator.

“Lewis has been back between every race getting in there, doing the setup work, learning the circuit,” he said.
What? No, that can't be right. Everyone knows he's lazy and doesn't put in the work... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Swifty wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 04:00
I know I may sound goofy, but I'm so excited! Difficult to picture a more perfect track for Mercedes:
https://streamable.com/t2k4ht
Straights and available racing lines on point.

Just gotta keep pushing, lads! =D>
The last sector is now similar to Qatar

atanatizante

Presumably, this race it`ll be a 2 or maybe 3 stop race, now with these new sharp kerbs and Pirelli's concern ...

Knowing W12 car is good at managing tyres that leads them to an ideal 1 stop race, I think this change hurts them more ... or maybe could give them more strategic options in order to overtake at the pits rather on track and thus could be more chances to avoid possible dive-bomb attacks that VER could do in the race?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

adrianjordan

Yeah, I think the 2 ideal scenarios for Lewis are 1) qualify on pole and just drive off with Valterri second able to hold Max up whilst Lewis builds a gap. Then pit around the same time and avoid under/overcut.

2) If he doesn't qualify ahead of Max, that he has enough pace to jump him at the stops and avoid the need to risk an actual overtake.

Or I suppose, 3) That Max manages to take himself out of the race or suffers a mechanical DNF. Though I suspect Lewis would prefer to beat Max on track, not for Max to have a DNF.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

e30ernest
e30ernest

Looks like Lewis is channeling the power of purple for purple sectors today. Funnily though, the model of the sweatshirt Lewis is wearing kinda looks like Max too. :D

Big Tea

That's one of the better outfits I have seen him in. Looks like my wifes pyjamas
(edit, cept she does not have the boots)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

gcdugas

Has anyone beside me thought that Merc has been cheating with the engine introduced in Brazil? Supposedly they did not run it at Qatar but everywhere else it has run it has been dominant. Like an extra 40 BHP dominant. Did the sneak in an upgrade? Have they found a way to work around the fuel flow sensor? Whatever it is, it is noticeable and I can't get rid of my suspicions.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Jambier

gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 19:28
Has anyone beside me thought that Merc has been cheating with the engine introduced in Brazil? Supposedly they did not run it at Qatar but everywhere else it has run it has been dominant. Like an extra 40 BHP dominant. Did the sneak in an upgrade? Have they found a way to work around the fuel flow sensor? Whatever it is, it is noticeable and I can't get rid of my suspicions.
They made a special engine designed for 3 races with « reliability » updates.

Suspicious I don’t know but clearly Honda and RB were too naive.

This is a master move to unleash that power end of the year

Sadly it killed the championship / suspens

tpe
tpe

If the brought reliability updates to the engine, aren't the other teams informed about them?
I do believe that it's impossible to find 40bhp mid just like that. But if your engine can produce more up but for reliability reasons you restrict it, then yes, you can release the power since it doesn't need to last 7 races

NathanOlder

Jambier wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 19:35
gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 19:28
They made a special engine designed for 3 races with « reliability » updates.

Suspicious I don’t know but clearly Honda and RB were too naive.

This is a master move to unleash that power end of the year

Sadly it killed the championship / suspens
Its created the championship suspense! Without it Max would most likely have won the championship now. Brazil would have been a Max win and Lewis 3rd at best, so the point swing there would have been 17pts minimum! . Then you'd have to say Max would have won one of the races in Qatar or Saudi, which is another 14pts swing. So the title would have been finished.

Mercs PU has made this the best and most exciting finish for 10yrs.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

search

did anyone see an article on Bottas' engine problems from last week? Were they able to fix the fuel leak?

gcdugas

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:03

Its created the championship suspense! Without it Max would most likely have won the championship now. Brazil would have been a Max win and Lewis 3rd at best, so the point swing there would have been 17pts minimum! . Then you'd have to say Max would have won one of the races in Qatar or Saudi, which is another 14pts swing. So the title would have been finished.

Mercs PU has made this the best and most exciting finish for 10yrs.
Is this professional wrestling? Let's have the guy who is behind cheat [if it is cheating] so it goes down to the wire? Sorry but I can't respect your logic. But I can't shake my suspicions that there is a reason other than "degradation" that is responsible for Lewis being able to go from P20 to P5 in the sprint race in Brazil.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

holeindalip
holeindalip

tpe wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:00
If the brought reliability updates to the engine, aren't the other teams informed about them?
I do believe that it's impossible to find 40bhp mid just like that. But if your engine can produce more up but for reliability reasons you restrict it, then yes, you can release the power since it doesn't need to last 7 races
40bhp is possible if they haven’t been able to run all out, the reliability updates fixed the issue so now they can run full beans all out without issue

Jambier

This is not suspicious, this is clever.

This year Mercedes team (driver included) will won both championship because they managed very well the season:

- Mercedes suffering but fixing the impact of 2021 regs all the year
- Fixing their engine issue and making a special engine for only 3 races with maximum power
- Hamilton keeping calm despite Max being agressive, and just in time (Silverstone) showing that he is not a Bottas, he will respond and not back off

Red Bull and Max were too agressive, too bruptal, and overall Mercedes managed better and will most probably win a championship that was very much reachable for RB/VER

I think Red Bull and Max knows it in deep of their mind, that's why they are so frustrated: they are the ones to blame for losing this championship, not Mercedes or Hamilton

gcdugas

holeindalip wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:58
tpe wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:00
40bhp is possible if they haven’t been able to run all out, the reliability updates fixed the issue so now they can run full beans all out without issue
Do you think that customer teams get the same "reliability upgrade" as Lewis? If so, and the rules mandate that customer engines are the exact same as factory engines, why haven't any customer teams changed engines "as a precaution" and seen similar performance increases? Especially McLaren as they have been losing ground to Ferrari in the Constructor's Championship over the exact same period... since Brazil.