2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

1 Stopper was a slower option & was just not possible. You go for Soft-Medium-Medium or Soft-Medium-Soft. RBR could have covered Mercedes. Verstappen had a brand new Soft & it would have lasted better than being a sitting duck to Lewis.

Lewis couldn't get past Max till his tyres were like 40 laps old. RBR keep making big mistakes.

Also look @ tyre choices so far -

Barhain/Imola - C2 to C4
Portgual/Spain - C1 to C3

Monaco/Azerbaijan/Canada will have C3 to C5.

So the Bahrain Softs will be Mediums for Monaco to Canada. The Bahrain Mediums will be Hards & the Softs will have more grip than Bahrain Softs. RBR has a good chance in the next 3 races, in tracks like Monaco with New Soft-Bahrain Soft as Mediums. The Softs of Spain will be the hardest tyres in the next 3 races. On Qualy pace, RBR & Mercedes are near about & on race pace RBR should be competitive with the New Softs & Mediums (Old Softs).

Max & RBR has to win 2 races out of the next 3 ! Otherwise they will be done when another round of C1 to C3 tyres come from Silverstone onwards. And you need 2 Drivers in Top 3.
Last edited by Mr.S on 09 May 2021, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kingshark
Kingshark

NL_Fer wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:57
I remember Lewis was about virtually 1,2s behind Verstappen after his 2nd stop. He was not that fast on his outlap.
That’s what angers me the most. Red Bull could have responded but they weren’t sharp enough.

Kingshark
Kingshark

Does anyone know if Honda will be bringing any more improvements to the engine, or is this current spec the one Red Bull are stuck with for the season?

I mean, Mercedes look like they have improved ERS deployment through software improvement, could Honda do the same?

godzi
godzi

NL_Fer wrote:
I remember Lewis was about virtually 1,2s behind Verstappen after his 2nd stop. He was not that fast on his outlap.
You know what you have to do, change color, it's wearing the fans of victory, never in the Hybrid era red bull have been so close to Mercedes, Barcelona is a circuit forged for the German team, there are 19 races left, and there will be many wins red bull Honda. We will talk about it again, and you will be the first to regret your defeatist comments

Kingshark
Kingshark

Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:34
Does anyone know if Honda will be bringing any more improvements to the engine, or is this current spec the one Red Bull are stuck with for the season?

I mean, Mercedes look like they have improved ERS deployment through software improvement, could Honda do the same?
To elaborate on my previous question, if engine development is frozen during the season, how is Mercedes able to find performance within the PU?

Wouter

Max Takes P2 at the Spanish Grand Prix

https://honda.racing/f1/post/sunday-spain

Max Verstappen 33
Red Bull Racing Honda

I tried everything I could today and took the lead at Turn 1 but from there we were just lacking a bit of pace to Mercedes. Of course we wanted to win but I cannot feel too disappointed as I did everything I could out there and maximized the opportunities. Even if we had looked at another strategy and done a two stop and pitted before them, we wouldn’t have made the time up as they were just faster than us. I know how fast I can go and where the limit of the car is and when they can do a free stop behind it is easy for them to do a different strategy. I pretty much knew that when he pitted for the second time that he would come back at me on the new tyres a bit like Hungary 2019 and although I did everything I could I was a bit of a sitting duck. The pace difference on the tyres made it an easy pass for Lewis and then I was able to at least keep second place and take Fastest Lap. It was just a day where we lacked a bit of pace and second was the best result possible so now we need to look at why they seem to have jumped ahead a bit in terms of race pace.

Sergio Perez 11
Red Bull Racing Honda

This isn’t an easy track to overtake on which made for a tough race. We had a good first lap and made up some positions but it took me quite a long time to get past Daniel. The McLaren was extremely fast on the straights so it was really hard to try a move but we made it work around the outside of Turn 1. I knew what I had to do, I pushed on and managed to make it work but we didn’t have much tyre life left afterwards so it was tough. I’m getting more confident with the car now and every time I get to the end of a weekend, I think, ‘I wish the weekend was just starting now.’ Also every circuit is different so what I learn here will be different to what I need in Monaco but the main thing is that I am still adapting and hopefully soon we can be 100%. I am excited for Monaco, especially with this car as historically it’s been competitive and I think we have a chance of winning.
The Power of Dreams!

Jolle
Jolle

Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:48
Kingshark wrote:

To elaborate on my previous question, if engine development is frozen during the season, how is Mercedes able to find performance within the PU?
Software for the hybrid systems.

Wouter

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullr ... SpainRace/?

Podium 46 for Max as Checo brings his Bull back fifth in Spain.

Max had to settle for second place and the bonus point for fastest lap after losing a tight tactical battle with Mercedes’ race winner Lewis Hamilton at the Spanish Grand Prix. Checo, meanwhile, enjoyed a solid afternoon rising from eighth on the grid to fifth at the flag.

The Power of Dreams!

Kingshark
Kingshark

Jolle wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:11
Kingshark wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

I bloody hope Honda are able to find some gains themselves.

If this engine performance differential remains, then a WDC looks out of reach.

TNTHead

The outcome was already friday in the making with an impressive longrun pace of the mercs on yellow. If it was not clear for the media or any other saying that RB has the fastest car: that narritive can be put to rest now.

As Max said: 'we improved massively compared to last year. But we're lacking pace'. Add to that one moment of less sharpness (they could indeed respond immediately after HAM second pit). I think the outcome would be the same, but with more battles on the track.

Edax
Edax

Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:33
NL_Fer wrote:
That’s what angers me the most. Red Bull could have responded but they weren’t sharp enough.
Think it would not have mattered much. He kept Hamilton behind for the first two stints, but Hamilton didn’t really try. When Ham went into the pits for the 2nd he closed in to .5 to Verstappen. He could have stuck the pass if he stayed out on that straight.

Coming out of the pits with a Hamilton approaching within a second on tires in the optimal window... don’t think VES would have made it past turn 3 in front.

He did the best he could by pipping Hamilton at the start, otherwise it would have been a lonely race in second. But when you saw how Ham closed a 5 second gap in as many laps after the first pitstop the outcome was rather obvious.

TNTHead

quite a good analysis of the reasons why VER did not make P1 in the end:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... e-taktik/
or translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... re-taktik/

As AMuS analyzes: tyre wear, lack of tactical assistant (second driver), HAM's patient approach in lap 1, Mercs tactics led to this outcome. I think it's true that the RB is lacking on tyres right now. Let's see if they can diminish the gap tyre wise.

etusch

Past seasons redbull was slower at one lap and closer to mercedes at race pace. This season it looks to me, at one lap they are almost same but at race pace mercedes has an advantage. Especially tyre life, they are very good at it.

epo
epo

Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:29
Jolle wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:11
Kingshark wrote:

I bloody hope Honda are able to find some gains themselves.

If this engine performance differential remains, then a WDC looks out of reach.
It almost look to me they turned down the engine by using a more conservative engine mode after race 1 and issues especially with AT. And vice versa Mercedes started conservative and turned it up.

mafeotul
mafeotul

How typical i would say, i guess RedBull’s disappointing chain of decisions continue. I don’t doubt for a second they will win races. But to beat Mercedes on a 23 race marathon. Man.. there’s a reason no one has done it. They tried the right way, the cheeky way, the regulation way, the bans, I don’t think there is a way they haven’t tried. And still failed.

And oh, correct me if i am wrong, was it 2018 where Ferrari had worst tyre management than Mercedes and it really killed them in the long run? Monza comes to mind. I am astounded that RedBull has been beaten to it to be fair, i always rated them as the tyre kings.