2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

They have, but they can’t put them on on Saturday just preempting rain on Sunday while Merc already runs them.

Pyrone89

Depends how certain the chance is of rain. If it is 100% certain already from the start of the weekend they can adjust the wings and set-up for it. If it remains in doubt what the exact weather will be RB will have a tough decision: use the successful set-up of race 1 or cover the rain threat and hope Merc doesnt gamble on dry (and proves to win the gamble). Would rather have straightforward and dry races on tracks that suit RB. Let the rain come on the tracks that suit Merc (plenty of those to come, so that is why this championship is long from over)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Pyrone89

Lock2nl wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:54
zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 00:34
Wouter wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 22:19

Did you see the front and rear wheel blisters on Bottas and Hamiltons car?
I did't see those rear wheel blisters on Max his car. Marko said that Max could have driven faster, but the team didn't allow him to, because the Mercedes cars couldn't come closer anyway because of the tire wear.
That's why Bottas couldn't and wasn't allowed to accelerate when Perez came closer and closer.

Horner has also said that the reinforced tires will not affect their tire wear, as it is a small reinforcement that does not affect the tread.
Bear in mind that both Mercs were in dirty air, and Hamilton was pushing quite hard in his second stint (he left Bottas in the dust) before dropping off to maintain the ability to 1-stop.

I only saw blistering on Hamilton’s right front tire near the closing stages. I only heard him report that front right blistering on the radio, as well. I didn’t see/hear about any rear blistering, as the rear tires are where Mercedes have had the degradation advantage this year.

As an aside, blistering is less a function of general degradation and more a sign of a temporary overheating on a specific section of the surface tread.
Maybe have look at both Merc drivers after Lewis did his fastest lap of the race? Several laps later I saw a footage of the rear en of Lewis' car. Several laps after his fastest lap you could the tire wear. And Mercedes admitted trying to follow Max got their tyres messed up completely.
Frankly, while trying to keep in close range after the stop Lewis was constantly at least 4 second behind Max. Dirty air...? Don't think so!
Euhm Lewis did his fastest lap in the final lap. How could you have seen blisters a couple of laps later? 😂

etusch

Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 14:56
Lock2nl wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Bear in mind that both Mercs were in dirty air, and Hamilton was pushing quite hard in his second stint (he left Bottas in the dust) before dropping off to maintain the ability to 1-stop.

I only saw blistering on Hamilton’s right front tire near the closing stages. I only heard him report that front right blistering on the radio, as well. I didn’t see/hear about any rear blistering, as the rear tires are where Mercedes have had the degradation advantage this year.

As an aside, blistering is less a function of general degradation and more a sign of a temporary overheating on a specific section of the surface tread.
Maybe have look at both Merc drivers after Lewis did his fastest lap of the race? Several laps later I saw a footage of the rear en of Lewis' car. Several laps after his fastest lap you could the tire wear. And Mercedes admitted trying to follow Max got their tyres messed up completely.
Frankly, while trying to keep in close range after the stop Lewis was constantly at least 4 second behind Max. Dirty air...? Don't think so!
Euhm Lewis did his fastest lap in the final lap. How could you have seen blisters a couple of laps later? 😂
:lol:

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

zibby43
zibby43

Lock2nl wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 22:19

Did you see the front and rear wheel blisters on Bottas and Hamiltons car?
I did't see those rear wheel blisters on Max his car. Marko said that Max could have driven faster, but the team didn't allow him to, because the Mercedes cars couldn't come closer anyway because of the tire wear.
That's why Bottas couldn't and wasn't allowed to accelerate when Perez came closer and closer.

Horner has also said that the reinforced tires will not affect their tire wear, as it is a small reinforcement that does not affect the tread.

Maybe have look at both Merc drivers after Lewis did his fastest lap of the race? Several laps later I saw a footage of the rear en of Lewis' car. Several laps after his fastest lap you could the tire wear.
I seriously doubt that. He pitted for Softs 2 laps from the end.

ispano6

Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:42
Meanwhile, sunday looks to be a wet race which cancels out the straghtline advantage and prevents derates, while rewarding more downforce. So advantage Mercedes when it is indeed a wet race on sunday
There's no DRS available in a wet race, the track hasn't changed, and Red Bull can dial in more downforce. If it's a fully wet race, only wet tire compounds are used, so the standard tire range hasn't much impact, unless it dries. All the teams are up against the same dynamic conditions, and if it dries late in the race, then whoever risks using the softest compound may get the most reward. To blanket say that Mercedes has a better car sounds more like downplaying the situation. I think RedBull and Max know exactly how to deal with a rainy situation, like their set up in Turkey last year minus the wrong wing adjustment and off. Their rain pace should not be a worry, especially if you can get temperatures into the tires better.

Pyrone89

ispano6 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 18:31
Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:42
Meanwhile, sunday looks to be a wet race which cancels out the straghtline advantage and prevents derates, while rewarding more downforce. So advantage Mercedes when it is indeed a wet race on sunday
There's no DRS available in a wet race, the track hasn't changed, and Red Bull can dial in more downforce. If it's a fully wet race, only wet tire compounds are used, so the standard tire range hasn't much impact, unless it dries. All the teams are up against the same dynamic conditions, and if it dries late in the race, then whoever risks using the softest compound may get the most reward. To blanket say that Mercedes has a better car sounds more like downplaying the situation. I think RedBull and Max know exactly how to deal with a rainy situation, like their set up in Turkey last year minus the wrong wing adjustment and off. Their rain pace should not be a worry, especially if you can get temperatures into the tires better.
I am mostly worried if it is not clear beforehand that it will be a wet race and stick with their low downforce set-up, while Mercedes keeps running their higher downforce wing. In the race that would be advantage Mercedes.

Only thing that would help RB in wet races is that their car works the tires harder (normally a bad thing for tyre deg in the race, but a good thing in quali, in outlaps and in the wet as seen at Imola first laps)

godlameroso

Light rain, it'll be spitting on track at worst. There's plenty of cloud cover on the table for Sunday, but I'm not seeing any localized heavy rain, of course the forecast is never 100%.

It's going to be a spicy race, nailing the timing of the tire switch from wet to dry weather(or vice versa) will make all the difference. Then again it may not rain enough to warrant wet weather tires, or it may start with a wet track and the cars running create enough of a dry line that remains despite the light rain. Then you have to consider if it's faster to just stay on worn inters or switch to slick tires.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

Thank you @Morteza. 👍
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Wouter wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 16:13
How secret cosmetics chemical is helping Red Bull's F1 charge

Red Bull's latest success in Formula 1's Styrian Grand Prix has stirred up further intrigue about the gains the team has made in recent weeks.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... e/6621339/
I would be surprised if they get more than 10% more engine life over what was there before. That is a huge gain for lubrication too. Huge but it shouldnt affect the championship too much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 20:00
Wouter wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 16:13
How secret cosmetics chemical is helping Red Bull's F1 charge

Red Bull's latest success in Formula 1's Styrian Grand Prix has stirred up further intrigue about the gains the team has made in recent weeks.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... e/6621339/
I would be surprised if they get more than 10% more engine life over what was there before. That is a huge gain for lubrication too. Huge but it shouldnt affect the championship too much.
" .... but it shouldn't affect the championship too much."

Why not? Everyone tries to produce the best possible motor oil, so you can take advantage of that, right?
Petronas does that too, may I assume?
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

He means it differently, ok redbull gained something through being able to run higher for longer but that will not effect the championship battle as a whole. I think.

Morteza

New episode of Beyond the Grid with Christian Horner
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare