2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 16:40
You disagree yet what you say proves my point. Mercedes has a nervous rear end and you call it a design flaw. I agree.

But then the nervousness of the Red Bull is apparently something max likes and others don't?
RedBull is stable.
The problem with it it is tricky drive fast!
Gathering up comments from Perez, Max and other engineers it seems:

The RedBull aero platform has a high operating downforce in the corners, but you have to keep the aero platform stable to unlock it.

Max is very good at feeling the gyration of the chassis throught the corners so he knows when he can be aggressive in braking and direction change and most importantly, when he be gentle in braking early and slowly feeding in the steering to keep that big Newey raked floor right where Newey wants it. Max in an incredible driver in this way he feels the car and learns the car.

Perez is one of the best brakers, just like Daniel. Perez is also very good on throttle application so he suits the point and squirt rear limited tracks. The other thing Perez is good at is feeling the mechanical grip in all four corners. All this culminates in super ability at saving tyres. Downside for Perez and Daniel is that they not good at feeling the aero platform behaviour of the car.

I think a driver like Bottas, Leclerc or George would get on top of the RedBull in qualifying because those drivers are known to drive "small operating window" cars too.

So yeah. Max has better feel of the aero platform and knows to balance aggression that's my take on him over the years. I don't see the RedBull as unstable per se, (it wont drive you off the road like a Haas or Williams!) but difficult to unlock the upper operating window.

Gillian
Gillian

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 20:58
Gillian wrote:
You disagree yet what you say proves my point. Mercedes has a nervous rear end and you call it a design flaw. I agree.

But then the nervousness of the Red Bull is apparently something max likes and others don't?
RedBull is stable.

The RedBull aero platform has a high operating downforce in the corners, but you have to keep the aero platform stable to unlock it.

Max is very good at feeling the gyration of the chassis throught the corners so he knows when he can be aggressive in braking and direction change and most importantly, when he be gentle in braking early and slowly feeding in the steering to keep that big Newey raked floor right where Newey wants it. Max in an incredible driver in this way he feels the car and learns the car.

Perez is one of the best brakers, just like Daniel. Perez is also very good on throttle application so he suits the point and squirt rear limited tracks. The other thing Perez is good at is feeling the mechanical grip in all four corners. All this culminates in super ability at saving tyres. Downside for Perez and Daniel is that they not good at feeling the aero platform behaviour of the car.

I think a driver like Bottas, Leclerc or George would get on top of the RedBull in qualifying because those drivers are known to drive "small operating window" cars too.

So yeah. Max has better feel of the aero platform and knows to balance aggression that's my take on him over the years. I don't see the RedBull as unstable per se, (it wont drive you off the road like a Haas or Williams!) but difficult to unlock the upper operating window.
My remark was not about the current Red Bull car but about the last few years. Red Bull had issues which I agree are mostly fixed this year.

Different topic but I personally have not seen any evidence of Perez' skill to be gentle on the tires over the years. Not better than Verstappen and Hamilton atleast, who can not only conserve the tired but also keep the pace up.
Last edited by Gillian on 09 Sep 2021, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Ok. Agreed. 2019 was the year it was extremely horrible. That was when they made a design error and spent like four months to fix it or something along those lines.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gillian
Gillian

2019 was a terrible year for Red Bull yeah.

JPower
JPower

Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 21:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Gillian wrote:

RedBull is stable.

My remark was not about the current Red Bull car but about the last few years. Red Bull had issues which I agree are mostly fixed this year.

Different topic but I personally have not seen any evidence of Perez' skill to be gentle on the tires over the years. Not better than Verstappen and Hamilton atleast, who can not only conserve the tired but also keep the pace up.
Its pretty much his calling card. Don’t know what you’ve been watching to miss that. Its probably the biggest reason why he’s still on the grid IMO.

Horner himself said his tire management is second to none.

godlameroso

The race won't be won on lap one, but rather in the second half. The weariness of the tripleheader versus the determination to win, which looms larger? Taking all the wing off the car may not be the fastest way around.
Saishū kōnā

Gillian
Gillian

JPower wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 00:52
Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 21:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Its pretty much his calling card. Don’t know what you’ve been watching to miss that. Its probably the biggest reason why he’s still on the grid IMO.

Horner himself said his tire management is second to none.
Horner says a lot.

I don't see a tyre whisperer or anything, I see a lack of one lap pace to be blunt. Look at the Perez vs Hulk battle and you will see what I mean. Perez was slower over a single lap and similar or even a little bit slower in race pace. Both Verstappen and Hamilton could keep the tyres alive way longer by dropping more pace.

etusch

Redbull seems to show merc favorite at monza but strangely this time no reaction from merc.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Hamilton's first PU can no longer be used after Zandvoort.
RBR and Mercedes want to see if they will put in the fourth PU after qualifying tonight.
Mercedes and Red Bull do not rule out the use of the fourth engine and thus a starting place penalty for Monza.
But there is also no set plan to do it now. It all depends on how the car presents itself in the qualification on the high-speed track and from which starting position in the sprint race on Saturday.

Only then will a decision be made as to whether one is generally willing to take the punishment.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ppen-2021/
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

That was a close one, qualifying was never going to be very strong here. The race pace will be closer.
Saishū kōnā

Mr.S
Mr.S

Best possible result. Max @ P3 & Bottas taking a penalty. So P2 is possible in the Mclarens can be held back. Perez finishing ahead of Bottas & Max @ P2 is the best possible result for RB @ this weekend. RB is 3-4 tenths down & will also be down in Russia.

Max needs an upgrade package which will give him a couple of tenths otherwise it will be a challenging end to the season given LH will pull up 15-20 points in Monza+Sochi combined.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

The win is still possible, even if Verstappen is only 3rd come sprint Q
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:37
The win is still possible, even if Verstappen is only 3rd come sprint Q
That would be epic.

I suspect the lack of pace is due to RB not able to trim DF back enough because of their well working floor leading to a drag penalty. Or the Merc PU is still miles ahead.