2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nzjrs

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:49
Hamilton's first PU can no longer be used after Zandvoort.
RBR and Mercedes want to see if they will put in the fourth PU after qualifying tonight.
Mercedes and Red Bull do not rule out the use of the fourth engine and thus a starting place penalty for Monza.
But there is also no set plan to do it now. It all depends on how the car presents itself in the qualification on the high-speed track and from which starting position in the sprint race on Saturday.

Only then will a decision be made as to whether one is generally willing to take the punishment.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ppen-2021/
This is such a great article. Secret engine change poker, what an amazing season!

Ryar

TNTHead wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:43
godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:37
The win is still possible, even if Verstappen is only 3rd come sprint Q
That would be epic.

I suspect the lack of pace is due to RB not able to trim DF back enough because of their well working floor leading to a drag penalty. Or the Merc PU is still miles ahead.
Generally speaking, RB car concepts have more drag than Mercedes. The ride height plays a role. While it's great on other places, for a place like Monza, it becomes a liability. Team clearly are aware of the challenge and they seems to be ok with that compromise. Merc PU is definitely ahead, but i guess not by much.
Hakuna Matata!

godlameroso

It's a tale of two tires tomorrow. The medium will be good at the start and then be inconsistent and not that great at the end. The hard tire on the other hand seems to be the polar opposite.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 02:02
It's a tale of two tires tomorrow. The medium will be good at the start and then be inconsistent and not that great at the end. The hard tire on the other hand seems to be the polar opposite.
I saw mediums on merc was already damaged after a few lap yesterday. But they are better with harder tyres generally.

godlameroso

It starts graining after ~11 laps, then it goes though it's phase and evens out giving you roughly 20-22 laps depending on how long you want to live with the pain. The hard tire will easily and gladly do ~30 laps, and will work fine towards the end of the stint, not so great after the first 4 laps once graining starts setting in, then driving through the graining phase. There is a level of adaptation necessary for the driver because the graining will also affect the rear, the accelerator work will need to be more "wavy". That is because the graining will cause more slip on initial throttle application and then deliver grip, as the tire slides and the grain gets peeled off there will be another inconsistent grip phase. It will take a few laps for the driver to get used to this, and that will be key to extracting performance from the hard.

At least from what I can see. This is fine, Verstappen has been riding the jet ski, he knows how to be wavy.
Saishū kōnā

Gillian
Gillian

Sprint race will be interesting. Verstappen on med and Perez soft? Just finished watching practice and didn't check the lap times but it seemed to me pace of Verstappen on mediums is well ahead of the McLarens and close to the Mercedes. Race pace very different from one lap pace it seems.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 15:37
Sprint race will be interesting. Verstappen on med and Perez soft? Just finished watching practice and didn't check the lap times but it seemed to me pace of Verstappen on mediums is well ahead of the McLarens and close to the Mercedes. Race pace very different from one lap pace it seems.
As always, we have to be careful with the Practice lap times, since the teams will be on different engine modes and fuel loads… But I would expect Red Bull to have the upper hand against McLaren… Unless a move is made in the first couple of laps, I see the teams settling and ensuring their positions for the race tomorrow

Gillian
Gillian

Yes agreed. Engine settings may not be changed for FP2 correct?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 15:51
Yes agreed. Engine settings may not be changed for FP2 correct?
That I’m unsure of… They are supposed to be in Parc Femme conditions, but I’m not sure if that also include engine modes (they have to qualify and race on the same modes), not really sure how it applies to FP2 during a Sprint weekend

Gillian
Gillian

Probably 4 to 5 tenths between race pace of Red Bull and McLaren. Very good sprint sprint for Verstappen. P1 tomorrow.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Mr.S wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:11
Best possible result. Max @ P3 & Bottas taking a penalty. So P2 is possible in the Mclarens can be held back. Perez finishing ahead of Bottas & Max @ P2 is the best possible result for RB @ this weekend. RB is 3-4 tenths down & will also be down in Russia.

Max needs an upgrade package which will give him a couple of tenths otherwise it will be a challenging end to the season given LH will pull up 15-20 points in Monza+Sochi combined.
You were saying?!

godlameroso

IDK Verstappen was .3 behind Mercedes around Sochi last year, they'll be very quick this year. I would still make the engine change in Turkey, because it is easier to pass there than Sochi. If Verstappen wins in Italy, and in Sochi that would build a 16 point buffer over Hamilton, provided Hamilton comes in second. So the engine penalty in Turkey, and if Verstappen can make it to 6th or 5th Verstappen would keep the lead in the championship and be good to go for the rest of the season.
Saishū kōnā

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Yeah, Sochi is for RB to lose. I believe COTA is a better option for the engine change though.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 17:02
Probably 4 to 5 tenths between race pace of Red Bull and McLaren. Very good sprint sprint for Verstappen. P1 tomorrow.
Getting passed by a McLaren at the start would be a complete disaster. The Red Bull won't be able to get close enough to pass and Hamilton will get past Max. He really really really needs a good start and for the McLarens to keep their place. Then the win prospects are looking good. If Lewis manages to get past the McLarens quickly I think it's his win

Gillian
Gillian

Yeah start will be crucial for sure, but I think both McLarens will start on mediums like Verstappen and they will be just that bit slower on high fuel...

What I said in the race thread about it:
Not sure if the McLarens are starting on soft tomorrow and if not that will weaken their start in comparison to today. Also on heavy fuel I think the gap between the McLaren and Red Bull is a little bigger. So if Verstappen has a good start like today I don't really see Riciardo trying anything.

Also the points made about Verstappen and Hamilton having a lot to loose and the McLaren boys not... I think Riciardo will find it more valuable to keep Norris behind and bag a podium than to risk it all on a divebomb into turn 1. I am not seeing that happen unless Verstappen has an abysmal start (but then be would just cruise by).
So will be very interesting tomorrow!