2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 02:36
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 01:17
godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 00:43
Qatar is going to play into RBR's hands from what I can tell, downforce helps a lot because only 2 slow corners, the rest are right in the sweet spot. I think the gap there will be similar to the gap in Zandvoort. It's the front left that takes the biggest pounding. May need to think about asymmetric setup as there's only 4* left hand turns and only 2 of them put any significant load on the front right.
I would say most corners are medium speed at most, not many high speed corners at all. I guess it comes down to how fast a high speed corner is?
12-15 I would consider proper high speed corners, 12 is 8th-7th gear, 13 is just a lift, and 14 is a 6th or 5th gear corner depending on how much downforce you're carrying. 15 is nearly flat or may be flat in qualifying. None of those corners are easy flat either. The final corner is very much like a mirror version penultimate corner in Austin without the elevation.

Can the Red Bull carry more speed through 1,2 4-5, 7-9,12-16 to make up for the traction deficit?
@godlameroso

Is Qatar similar to Barcelona at all? as both have a 1000 meter straight and 16 corners

Max and Lewis were equal there in qually when RB had a 0.3? deficit in their engine power and it was only strategy that screwed Max out of the win

godlameroso

Dee wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 03:39
godlameroso wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

I would say most corners are medium speed at most, not many high speed corners at all. I guess it comes down to how fast a high speed corner is?
12-15 I would consider proper high speed corners, 12 is 8th-7th gear, 13 is just a lift, and 14 is a 6th or 5th gear corner depending on how much downforce you're carrying. 15 is nearly flat or may be flat in qualifying. None of those corners are easy flat either. The final corner is very much like a mirror version penultimate corner in Austin without the elevation.

Can the Red Bull carry more speed through 1,2 4-5, 7-9,12-16 to make up for the traction deficit?
@godlameroso

Is Qatar similar to Barcelona at all? as both have a 1000 meter straight and 16 corners

Max and Lewis were equal there in qually when RB had a 0.3? deficit in their engine power and it was only strategy that screwed Max out of the win
Corners 1 & 2 are like turn 4 in Barcelona, turn 6 & 10 are similar to turn 5 in Barcelona in that you have to quickly switch to the opposite side of the road and the exit is tricky. Turn 7 in Losail is also very similar to the long right hand turn 12 in Barcelona.
Saishū kōnā

Revs84
Revs84

I'm so bummed at how the whole race turned out. Already on Friday it was quite clear that Lewis had a fast car, but I never expected him to have such a rocket underneath him. And I say Lewis, because clearly, Bottas' car was nowhere near as fast. It was matching the Red Bulls at best.

Getting Bottas at the start was very promising and they even managed to get a 4 second cushion. Until the Safety car arrived and deleted that. And then the VSC came, and Bottas leapfrogged Perez...

It probably won't have stopped Lewis from winning, but I suspect the duel would have been delayed to a later stage of the race, giving Max a better chance of hanging on to 1st place.

It is what it is now, but I can't help but wonder where that speed in Lewis' car is coming from... It's like he had last year's car underneath him. Not only was it fast, but the tyres were holding on better than the Red Bulls'!

So now, looking at things realistically, how can Red Bull even dream of getting even one more win this year? I can't help but thinking that unless Red Bull pull a rabbit out of their hat, and Mercedes get some misfortune, the Mercs are now the favourites... :cry:

max_speed
max_speed

Revs84 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 12:21
I'm so bummed at how the whole race turned out. Already on Friday it was quite clear that Lewis had a fast car, but I never expected him to have such a rocket underneath him. And I say Lewis, because clearly, Bottas' car was nowhere near as fast. It was matching the Red Bulls at best.

Getting Bottas at the start was very promising and they even managed to get a 4 second cushion. Until the Safety car arrived and deleted that. And then the VSC came, and Bottas leapfrogged Perez...

It probably won't have stopped Lewis from winning, but I suspect the duel would have been delayed to a later stage of the race, giving Max a better chance of hanging on to 1st place.

It is what it is now, but I can't help but wonder where that speed in Lewis' car is coming from... It's like he had last year's car underneath him. Not only was it fast, but the tyres were holding on better than the Red Bulls'!
So now, looking at things realistically, how can Red Bull even dream of getting even one more win this year? I can't help but thinking that unless Red Bull pull a rabbit out of their hat, and Mercedes get some misfortune, the Mercs are now the favourites... :cry:
You very well summarized my feelings, yesterday felt so angry, it looked like year 2015. Hamilton made everyone look like second class racers.i want redbull to win but looks like game over. Silverstone and Baku gonna haunt RedBull.

etusch

I don't know how it can be 40 km speed difference with that big wings. Mercedes was not fastest at turns they just extremely fast at straight. Going fast at straight is not related with driving skills by the way. I can not believe how this is not investigated by fia deeply and how people says Ham drove very well. Nah. If there was not that straight line speed he can not do anything. And in the same time Tsunoda insident helped him too much. If there weren't sc periods he can not catch Verstappen in time.

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 00:43
Qatar is going to play into RBR's hands from what I can tell, downforce helps a lot because only 2 slow corners, the rest are right in the sweet spot. I think the gap there will be similar to the gap in Zandvoort. It's the front left that takes the biggest pounding. May need to think about asymmetric setup as there's only 4* left hand turns and only 2 of them put any significant load on the front right.

But there is basically 1 fast corner, the 12-14 sequence. The rest are medium speed at most is all I was saying, from the graphics we saw in interlagos, Mercedes were ahead in slow and medium speed corners. As well as the straights.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:13
godlameroso wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

But there is basically 1 fast corner, the 12-14 sequence. The rest are medium speed at most is all I was saying, from the graphics we saw in interlagos, Mercedes were ahead in slow and medium speed corners. As well as the straights.
No way 12 and 13 are both 7th gear corners, they're not easy flat, 14 is very tricky 6th gear corner. 15 is super fast 6th or 7th gear corner. Anything above 5th gear is what I consider high speed. Turns 1 & 2 I would consider mid speed, 4 & 5 also mid speed. There are only 2 corners I would consider slow, 6 & 10, with 10 being about as fast as turn 10 in Barcelona with similar requirements.

It's not at all like in Turkey where you just more or less position the car and it's easy flat. Here you have to be quite a bit more precise, the entry speed to turn 8 in Turkey is much lower than turn 12, in Qatar turn 12 you're entering at ~290kph, lifting just a hair to position the car for 13, apex speed ~270kph, then you dab the brakes for 14, apex speed ~200kph. Then it's just a lift and lots of bravery for turn 15, apex speed ~240kph.
Last edited by godlameroso on 15 Nov 2021, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

I hope the sense of urgency is seen at RB headquarters. They need to find an appropriate reply to this devastating showcase of (PU) power. Let's not forget this was again a sprint race weekend in which RB up until now have shown to get a not optimal setup. Hopefully they can find pace somewhere. What occured to me is that with Merc strategy one could install a new ICE every race, then fully send it, and get P1 with that. Let's hope they cannot do this again.

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:23
NathanOlder wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

No way 12 and 13 are both 7th gear corners, they're not easy flat, 14 is very tricky 6th gear corner. 15 is super fast 6th or 7th gear corner. Anything above 5th gear is what I consider high speed. Turns 1 & 2 I would consider mid speed, 4 & 5 also mid speed. There are only 2 corners I would consider slow, 6 & 10, with 10 being about as fast as turn 10 in Barcelona with similar requirements.
Yeah 12-14 are high speed, thats what I said 12-14 being 12,13,14. I guess turn 15 would be fast too. As turn 12,13 and 14 are just 1 corner, like in Turkey, with turn 15 being fast as well, that makes 2 proper corners that are fast.

Edit : Im seeing probably 7 or 8 corners under 100mph.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 15 Nov 2021, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

godlameroso

TNTHead wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:32
I hope the sense of urgency is seen at RB headquarters. They need to find an appropriate reply to this devastating showcase of (PU) power. Let's not forget this was again a sprint race weekend in which RB up until now have shown to get a not optimal setup. Hopefully they can find pace somewhere. What occured to me is that with Merc strategy one could install a new ICE every race, then fully send it, and get P1 with that. Let's hope they cannot do this again.
They'll be much closer next race in Qatar, the RB16B shines in corner entry and being able to carry speed through corners. You need that in spades to be fast around Qatar. The final two circuits are a bit of a question mark, no one knows what the new Abu Dhabi layout is like, and I haven't spent enough time around Jeddah to make any conclusions regarding the circuit.
Saishū kōnā

AeroDynamic

TNTHead wrote:
Agree. It’s going to be magnificent if Honda can do the same. Just goes to show how good the red bull downforce is - in part because of the rake around corners - a Mercedes needs full downforce levels to match it but with some new level of push from the engine to beat it.

What levels of downforce was red bull using at interlagos?

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:34
godlameroso wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Yeah 12-14 are high speed, thats what I said 12-14 being 12,13,14. I guess turn 15 would be fast too. As turn 12,13 and 14 are just 1 corner, like in Turkey, with turn 15 being fast as well, that makes 2 proper corners that are fast.
I'll post a video detailing the track later maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. 12 and 13 are two distinct corners, that entire sequence only vaguely resembles the turn 8 complex. Those are all proper individual corners, they just come at you so fast in an F1 car that the first 2 are almost one corner.

We saw how good the RBR is at carrying speed through corners by the molly-whooping it laid out in Austria.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

AeroDynamic wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:36
TNTHead wrote:
Agree. It’s going to be magnificent if Honda can do the same. Just goes to show how good the red bull downforce is - in part because of the rake around corners - a Mercedes needs full downforce levels to match it but with some new level of push from the engine to beat it.

They were using Austria levels of downforce, and they were still faster than Mercedes around the twisty 2nd sector. Likely the same setup will be used for the next few races.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:40
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:34
godlameroso wrote:

I'll post a video detailing the track later maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. 12 and 13 are two distinct corners, that entire sequence only vaguely resembles the turn 8 complex. Those are all proper individual corners, they just come at you so fast in an F1 car that the first 2 are almost one corner.

We saw how good the RBR is at carrying speed through corners by the molly-whooping it laid out in Austria.
Oh I know they are seperate corners, I have known Losail very well since it was opened nearly 2 decades ago. The sequence of 12, 13 and 14 is just 1 long corner though. Like CotA 16, 17 , 18. They are both like Turnkey Turn 8.

Officially Losail has 4 high speed corners, when in reality it has 2.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

AeroDynamic

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:42
AeroDynamic wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:36
TNTHead wrote:

They were using Austria levels of downforce, and they were still faster than Mercedes around the twisty 2nd sector. Likely the same setup will be used for the next few races.
Oh were they? I stand corrected. I can’t remember the sector times in qualifying but I know in the race max was pushing full on sector 2 because the RB makes the competitive lap time through cornering not straights. But cornering takes life out of the tyres and riding straights doesn’t. So this circuit really came to the Mercedes with the straight and the position to manage tyres.

Does anyone know how long the straight is at Losail? It has that straight but the context of how big the track is, how long the straight is, is important to determine if the circuit can go to RB or MCS. I thought it wasn’t that long but I’m not sure.

I think Max can win there, it’s just Jeddah and maybe Abu Dhabi that are the real concerns