2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

The balance on Landos car looked really good. Very minimal steering corrections. Not a lot of understeer. It’s on point. GAS is going to be the real surprise I think. His medium tyre run was incredible.

chrisgr
chrisgr

I couldnt believe what I was reading yesterday. We all have to understand that a grand prix consists of two parts, qualifying and race. The rest is practise. I am very optimistic now but we will wait and see.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Yeah, sometimes this place is like a funeral parlour after Friday practice. I don’t know whether people like to play reverse psychology, but so often it’s like the valley of regret! “We should never have left Honda, we should have kept Carlos, Ron Dennis shouldn’t have been kicked out, we should have given Adrian Newey whatever he wanted!”
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:05
The balance on Landos car looked really good. Very minimal steering corrections. Not a lot of understeer. It’s on point. GAS is going to be the real surprise I think. His medium tyre run was incredible.
What was his time on the medium?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Jambier

Very strong for Norris.

I hope RIC will be up to speed quickly, in 2 or 3 races

But this car is really good

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:13
Yeah, sometimes this place is like a funeral parlour after Friday practice. I don’t know whether people like to play reverse psychology, but so often it’s like the valley of regret! “We should never have left Honda, we should have kept Carlos, Ron Dennis shouldn’t have been kicked out, we should have given Adrian Newey whatever he wanted!”
Don't get ahead of yourself, this was only P3, not qualifying.

It can all still go wrong 🤣🤣🤣

Lol
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Emag
Emag

Gasly's lap on the mediums was very strong though, let's see what everyone has got in quali, but it seems they are going to be very strong here. And Ferrari I feel like were sandbagging on the soft run.

_cerber1

3 sector #-o

Emag
Emag

Are the actual sector times published anywhere? This graph simply ranks them in order from fastest to slowest, but we have no idea what the margins are.

Edit: Last year McLaren was 0.2 off AlphaTauri / Ferrari here in the final sector, so they probably will still be relatively worse compared to them this year again.

Darth-Piekus

We were a little better today on FP3 than yesterday as they seem to have restored the balance unless we were testing things yesterday. Let's see what Qualification is gonna show now. I can't say yet as I need to see more races to understand if the car picks races or is a good all rounder compared to the opposition. I am also curious about that last part in Imola where we are missing 2 tenths from Ferrari and Alpha Tauri. Why is that? How come we were 1st and second fastest in the first and second sectors and dropped that much in the 3rd sector?

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 14:11
I am also curious about that last part in Imola where we are missing 2 tenths from Ferrari and Alpha Tauri. Why is that? How come we were 1st and second fastest in the first and second sectors and dropped that much in the 3rd sector?
Last sector has slower corners, where the McLaren front end struggles. The first 2 sectors are high speed, showing McLaren aero is generating excellent downforce.

Darth-Piekus

Ok question. Is there anyway we can fix that as we suffered from that last year also and in 2019 or do we have to wait for the reset of 2022?

Xero

Have to wait for the reset. Had to spend tokens on Merc PU, so we're unable to address it for this season. Just need to explore setup options and find a good compromise.

MrGapes

This gap between Daniel and Lando is a tad concerning

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:17
Ground Effect wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:13
Don't get ahead of yourself, this was only P3, not qualifying.

It can all still go wrong 🤣🤣🤣

Lol
True, but we should loose it after qualifying, not FP1 :lol: