2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:10
I meant to say "pulled out a gap in front ..." But forgot to type it down for some reason. Maybe my mind was someplace else.
ok. cool.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando’s and Hamilton’s lap... It’s impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:03
They are giving too much praise. In my opinion, the video is premature. They should have waited for a couple of more races before making such statements.

Qualifying was indeed impressive, but the race itself was a mess. Can't pull out any reliable data when you have so much chaos and changing conditions. And in the data that was "somewhat" reliable, it showed that McLaren still has a significant deficit in race pace to RedBull and Mercedes.
I agree totally, but it’s what they do. They have to churn out stuff, so they go with what’s hot. After Bahrain, it was all about Yuki, whom I think is fantastic, but too much praise too soon. McLaren have started well no doubt, but it’s not clear cut by any means. There really isn’t much of a buffer (if at all) to Ferrari and Alpha Tauri on pure pace. A little bit of bad luck and they would be writing same article about Ferrari.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 23:54
Emag wrote:
They are giving too much praise. In my opinion, the video is premature. They should have waited for a couple of more races before making such statements.

Qualifying was indeed impressive, but the race itself was a mess. Can't pull out any reliable data when you have so much chaos and changing conditions. And in the data that was "somewhat" reliable, it showed that McLaren still has a significant deficit in race pace to RedBull and Mercedes.
I agree totally, but it’s what they do. They have to churn out stuff, so they go with what’s hot. After Bahrain, it was all about Yuki, whom I think is fantastic, but too much praise too soon. McLaren have started well no doubt, but it’s not clear cut by any means. There really isn’t much of a buffer (if at all) to Ferrari and Alpha Tauri on pure pace. A little bit of bad luck and they would be writing same article about Ferrari.
Yeah, alot of races to come.

mwillems

McFAN wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:31
Emag wrote:

I think the point is
that even if it turns out that the baseline performance is somewhat less competitive than it seems now,
the peaks will be close enough to the top teams to be a threat and to punish them if they underperform.
It does look good. If Merc and RB are in a closer fight then there will be times when accidents might happen, or even the fact that they are fighting on track might slow them down enough to allow us to catch up.

Our focus though is Ferrari because they will fight us for those breadcrumbs and indeed fighting with Ferrari may prevent us at times from riding with the big two, or even pull us back to the midfield.

With the cars and the knowledge of how to drive and setup the cars developing for several months, I expect to see a changeable order again like last year.

Crucial to Mclarens fortunes are also Perez and Bottas, who by finishing behind us on occasions are allowing the third best team at a given track to increase the points gained relative to the other teams behind.

When they get on it we will begin to finish in the places to which we are more accustomed.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Apr 2021, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Like "He-Man", Lando has the power.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ImfLR.html

MrGapes

Should we expect to see updates in Portimao?

diffuser

Scorpia wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 13:47
Juzh wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:49
Norris was way ahead of Leclerc on the restart even before braking zone because ferrari PU simply has less power than Mercedes and because leclerc completely missed the restart and imo deserved to be overtaken. He didn't need soft tyres at all to make that move stick. Only on standing start would softs come into play, but that didn't happen. I think teams didn't even know which one it'll be until mid way to the grid?
I’m no expert and didn’t see the actual overtake. But maybe a reason why leclerc missed the restart compared to Norris was because Norris could go full throttle faster because of his tire advantage? Just a tiny tenth or two could make a difference.
Just a thought! Anyways good race and it’s starting to feel good being a McLaren supporter again!
I agree, the softs are generally .7 of a second a lap faster.... Following a safety car for a lap or more is just gonna increase that gap between those 2 tire types. Keeping temp in the tires is problematic during a safety car period. The softs will fire up after a couple of turns and the medium will take a couple of laps. This is further complicated by all the wet spots on that track at that time. If you go off line you further retard the warm up time.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 08:15
McFAN wrote:
Emag wrote:

I think the point is
that even if it turns out that the baseline performance is somewhat less competitive than it seems now,
the peaks will be close enough to the top teams to be a threat and to punish them if they underperform.
It does look good. If Merc and RB are in a closer fight then there will be times when accidents might happen, or even the fact that they are fighting on track might slow them down enough to allow us to catch up.

Our focus though is Ferrari because they will fight us for those breadcrumbs and indeed fighting with Ferrari may prevent us at times from riding with the big two, or even pull us back to the midfield.

With the cars and the knowledge of how to drive and setup the cars developing for several months, I expect to see a changeable order again like last year.

Crucial to Mclarens fortunes are also Perez and Bottas, who by finishing behind us on occasions are allowing the third best team at a given track to increase the points gained relative to the other teams behind.

When they get on it we will begin to finish in the places to which we are more accustomed.
Don't forget how close last year was. McLaren is only 4 points ahead of last year after 2 races.

diffuser

MrGapes wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 11:02
So McLaren brought a minor update to Imola(rear wing enplate)....Regardless, we're going into back to back races. It's gonna be hard to have updates for the 2nd race, upates for the first race should benifit both races. So yes I would expect updates. McLaren are usually pretty good about being updates on a regular basis.

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 14:35
MrGapes wrote:
So McLaren brought a minor update to Imola(rear wing enplate)....Regardless, we're going into back to back races. It's gonna be hard to have updates for the 2nd race, upates for the first race should benifit both races. So yes I would expect updates. McLaren are usually pretty good about being updates on a regular basis.

They seem to bring smaller updates more regurlarly than one large update for the last couple of years...

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 14:30
mwillems wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 08:15
McFAN wrote:

I think the point is

Don't forget how close last year was. McLaren is only 4 points ahead of last year after 2 races.
Yeah this is true, we had a blinding start to the season, fortune gave us a little boost, many thought Mclaren were back in the big time, and then reality kicked in and we were quickly mired in the midfield treacle, scrapping to take points from each of the teams around us.

It does seem a little different this year. It may not play out like this, but it seems like there are 2 teams in the leading pack, two teams in the chasing pack chasing and then the midfield, AR, Williams and HAAS. So hopefully we will only have Ferrari regularly taking points from us.

But then it's easy to say it's seems different, one of the two races had very changeable conditions will have helped some teams and not others. Imola race day became a little more about the drivers than usual. After race 7 or 8 the messy start will have unfolded and we will have the story of the season unfolding. And of course the updates that can shape the course of the season too.

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Do you have a picture ?

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 10:15
diffuser wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Do you have a picture ?
It's in the car thread.

Here it is, quoted:
_cerber1 wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:54
See how streams are distributed
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzFtSAfW8AM ... name=large
From Alessandro Arcari

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 11:43
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 10:15
diffuser wrote:

Do you have a picture ?
It's in the car thread.

Here it is, quoted:
_cerber1 wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:54
See how streams are distributed
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzFtSAfW8AM ... name=large
From Alessandro Arcari

Is that a Rear Wing Endplate ? :shock: