2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tim.Wright

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Obviously it's the Rich Energy buyout
Not the engineer at Force India

CjC
CjC

The tweets are signed with the ‘#F1’ handle. Implying it’s more to do with the F1 team than anything else?

Would a headline sponsor announcement excite so my journos?

A tie up with a car manufacturer Tesla? Volkswagen?

Or an in house F1 engine program with said manufacturers?
If it is that, that’d really pee on Mr Horner’s chips :lol: :lol:
Last edited by CjC on 11 May 2021, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Just a fan's point of view

Xero

Very intriguing! I'm having a hard time placing what this could be outside of a title sponsorship. They all mention F1 specifically, otherwise I would guess it's the Formula E announcement. Not going to be PU or driver related. Maybe they've resigned a certain bald-headed aerodynamicist... :P

Emag
Emag

They are hinting towards this new advancement bringing a huge step to both the McLaren team and the whole McLaren group.

Very tricky to guess, since apparently, whatever this thing is, is going to be beneficial not only to the F1 team, but the entire company as well.

The easiest guess is that they have signed a huge title sponsor with a deal that covers both the automotive side and the Formula 1 side. An investment of this proportion has obvious financial benefits which normally would translate to gains in the Formula 1 team (but not immediately).

But only one of the tweets have mentioned the "big step" for both the team and McLaren as a group. The step on its own could mean many things though, it's maybe McLaren making the investment themselves. So it could also be an announcement of them joining Formula E (which is slightly less exciting IMO).

Anyway, let's wait for Sunday. Very intriguing piece of news regardless.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

I hope it's Danny Ric driving the #3 Earnhardt Chevrolet :lol:
(I really do want to see this happen).

Excited for whatever it is.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I doubt it’s a new signing or title sponsor, there has never been a media event pre-announcement for anything like that before

I’m leaning towards LeMans or full-on endurance racing

Xero

Not sure that Formula E would directly benefit the F1 side in any way.
This does have an air of something bigger than that, like a new in-house engine department for both F1 and Automotive? Highly unlikely, but fits the bill.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Hoffman900 wrote:
11 May 2021, 22:46
I hope it's Danny Ric driving the #3 Earnhardt Chevrolet :lol:
(I really do want to see this happen).

Excited for whatever it is.
Then he better get on with getting comfortable in the 35M and getting that podium he needs

the EDGE
the EDGE

Xero wrote:
11 May 2021, 22:52
This does have an air of something bigger than that, like a new in-house engine department for both F1 and Automotive? Highly unlikely, but fits the bill.
I can’t see how they could do their own engine, they aren’t miles behind the curve and would fall to the back for years to come

the EDGE
the EDGE

Xero wrote:
Would Formula-E be considered a big exciting announcement?

We already know they have an option to enter. I don’t think this much fuss was made over Indy Car and that’s much bigger than FE

Xero

the EDGE wrote:
11 May 2021, 22:54
Xero wrote:
I can’t see how they could do their own engine, they aren’t miles behind the curve and would fall to the back for years to come
Me neither, was just throwing out something that would fit this thing.

Another wild thought; McLaren to field a fourth car at Indy 500, driven by Lando.

Xero

the EDGE wrote:
11 May 2021, 22:56
Would Formula-E be considered a big exciting announcement?

We already know they have an option to enter. I don’t think this much fuss was made over Indy Car and that’s much bigger than FE
Yes, that would de a disappointment. I really don't think it's that, has to be money related.

Jordaann10
Jordaann10

Can’t see it being a tie up with another manufacturer really, VAG would surely be a conflict on interests owning Porsche / Lambo and Daimler own a 20% stake in Aston Martin. BMW power units for 2025? I think the Le Mans entry post above is the best shout yet.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Mercedes works deal from 2025?? :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Very intriguing and several possibilities... Let’s the speculation start!

Considering what the announcement said in regards to the news affecting the F1 Team as well as the Mclaren Group in general, I see 2 unlikely but otherwise interesting possibilities:

- Mclaren to aquire the Haas Team, effectively having a B-Team
- Mclaren to have entered a deal with VAG Group (Porsche) to have a works deal starting in 2023... Mclaren automotive

Likely, not as impactful as above, but with very little impact to the F1 team:

- Mclaren to enter WEC starting in 2022, this would be a huge boost for the Mclaren Automotive Group from a promotional stand point.
- Mclaren to buyout AMSP portion of the Indycar Team, making it a full Mclaren Indycar Team
- Mclaren to enter FE

Likely, but with a lesser impact on the Mclaren Group:

- New title sponsor, someone with history with the Team (Vodafone?)

Not desirable:

- The Bahrain fund has sold their stocks on the team to an OEM manufacturer (VAG or BMW), the Mclaren brand to continue to be “independent” and use their own powertrains starting with the new regulations.

Out of the blue:

- Mclaren to go public an IPO incoming
- Mclaren joining forces with “X” (charity, non-profit or the like)

For the team to make an announcement of an announcement, it should be something impactful... Although it could be just marketing hype... What I’m afraid of is that there will be a lot of disappointed people on Sunday when the hype doesn’t meet expectations :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 11 May 2021, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.