2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Merc/Mclaren collab electric supercar to challenge Newey's toy?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Merc/Mclaren collab electric supercar to challenge Newey's toy?
That would be interesting... Maybe extending the collaboration from MclarenF1 and HPP to develop the drivetrain for a WEC / Hypercar entry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

proteus

PhillipM wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:22
Merc/Mclaren collab electric supercar to challenge Newey's toy?
Aparently something is supposed to go on with Mercedes.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

My initial thought was a works deal with Mercedes from 2025. I really don’t know what that would mean for the Mercedes F1 team. Possible for Mercedes (HPP) to have 2 works teams?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

Ground Effect wrote:
12 May 2021, 19:29
My initial thought was a works deal with Mercedes from 2025. I really don’t know what that would mean for the Mercedes F1 team. Possible for Mercedes (HPP) to have 2 works teams?
But how is this relevant to automotive?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

proteus wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Providing branded engines for future Mclaren cars? Maybe even the use of Hybrid concepts derived from F1 for a Hypercar (as in the Mercedes Project One)

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 May 2021, 22:45
proteus wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Providing branded engines for future Mclaren cars? Maybe even the use of Hybrid concepts derived from F1 for a Hypercar (as in the Mercedes Project One)

That would make McLaren very similar to Aston Martin which all 3 companies would want to avoid

Peter1919
Peter1919

My guess is a LeMans entry with the McLaren F1 drivers driving

adrianjordan

If it was someone buying into the team or the team buying into someone, surely the news would have leaked from somewhere. Maybe not the motorsport press directly, but financial markets would have picked it up.

I think Le Man's is a good shout though.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MrGapes

I only thing that has me confused about the Le Man entry is it was conveyed pretty hard that it’s f1 related announcement, but may affect the organisation as a whole...

Hmmmm, well at least there is something to look forward to on Sunday!

genarro
genarro

it has to be something about partnering with a major manufacturer. The only thing that would have a big impact on F1 and the whole group. Is it maybe BMW? because VAG group seems to have a conflict of buissnes betwen McLaren and Porsche supercars etc and BMW doesnt. However if such a big company were to come to the sport from an engine perspective it would still be easier to partner with RB because they have Honda's intelectual property.

_cerber1

McLaren has no problem with Porsche, the Germans sell more cars in a week than McLaren in a year. And various limited editions are sold out long before the first copy is produced.

My opinion is that a new investor has come, who will simultaneously become the title sponsor.

mwillems

Whatever it is, it's a big project.

So on the table is:

New major investors, Non engine related and possibly chinese
Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries
Specific enhanced Mercedes partnership
Specific BMW/VAG partnership (Or any other major motor manufacturer)
Purchasing a stake in a smaller team (Could we have invested in Williams?)

Personally I think it is a partnership with a motor manufacturer, or specifically investment from VAG group.

But somehow I think it could be something quite leftfield, otherwise why would they get us as excited as this.
I don't think it will be a chinese buyout or investment, Latifi made a significant investment and that was a byline in many ways, but on the other hand, Mclaren as an F1 team has been actively on the market since June of last year. Still, I'm going with a major motor manufacturer investing in the group and having a tie in with the F1 team.

And I'll put one more crazy thing on the table, but will almost never happen (In fact I don't think it could happen), but I want to pull the grenade and walk away..... !!!

HONDA TO RETURN TO MCLAREN!
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Herr_Koos

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:41

And I'll put one more crazy thing on the table, but will almost never happen (In fact I don't think it could happen), but I want to pull the grenade and walk away..... !!!

That grenade is a dud, unfortunately.

ripleysend
ripleysend

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:41
Whatever it is, it's a big project.

So on the table is:

New major investors, Non engine related and possibly chinese
Purchasing of Riccardo
FE and WEC entries
Specific enhanced Mercedes partnership
Specific BMW/VAG partnership (Or any other major motor manufacturer)
Purchasing a stake in a smaller team (Could we have invested in Williams?)

Personally I think it is a partnership with a motor manufacturer, or specifically investment from VAG group.

But somehow I think it could be something quite leftfield, otherwise why would they get us as excited as this.
I don't think it will be a chinese buyout or investment, Latifi made a significant investment and that was a byline in many ways, but on the other hand, Mclaren as an F1 team has been actively on the market since June of last year. Still, I'm going with a major motor manufacturer investing in the group and having a tie in with the F1 team.

Some interesting ideas there. Re BMW - there's certainly been discussions with BMW on various things from FE to road car collaboration, so not out of the realm of possibility. Williams of course now has plenty of ex McLaren in senior positions so not also crazy, although would Williams' current investors welcome new ownership so soon after making their acquisition? McLaren becoming works Merc team also very interesting thought.