2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Maybe he needs to go on a ride with Lando driving… :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think Ricciardo needs to go to Woking, get a house and work in the sim as much as he can. He obviously expected to be able to come on top of Norris but Lando is a tough nut to crack with experience of the car.

If you remember, Sainz lived in Woking and now IIRC lives in Italy. I always feel that drivers that have dozens of stuff on their plate aren't focused enough. Sure you can do that when you are a WC or a extraordinary talent but for the rest of them, they need to focus and reduce distractions (think Rosberg).

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:13
I think Ricciardo needs to go to Woking, get a house and work in the sim as much as he can. He obviously expected to be able to come on top of Norris but Lando is a tough nut to crack with experience of the car.

If you remember, Sainz lived in Woking and now IIRC lives in Italy. I always feel that drivers that have dozens of stuff on their plate aren't focused enough. Sure you can do that when you are a WC or a extraordinary talent but for the rest of them, they need to focus and reduce distractions (think Rosberg).
I dunno, living in Monaco hasn’t done Max any harm has it!

I’m not sure the car is the problem, I think in the end the problem will be traced back to how he uses the tires and you’re only going to get a feel for that track

This would explain why he was more on the pace in the cooler temperatures yesterday than he was in the hot temperatures of today

Hopefully time at these back-to-back events will help, because it really looked like he had turned a corner yesterday

adrianjordan

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:13

I agree.

I remember watching an interview with Sainz at the start of this season where he talked about how Ferrari weren't used to a driver coming to the factory often as he does and, at first, weren't actually sure what to do with him lol.

I think that speaks volumes now when you see how well his switch has gone compared to Ricciardo.

I have no doubt that Vettel is also similarly hard working.

I am a massive fan of Ricciardo, but his Instagram is full of him doing other stuff to relax. I get the importance of that, but Danny Boy, you need to get yourself in that simulator as often as you can.

I do wonder though whether the Covid travel restrictions are hampering his ability to do that...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Juzh

Norris' q3 lap 1.04.120 (P4)
https://streamable.com/l7vih5

_cerber1

The last corner was very tough, hopefully the front fender is okay.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Norris was able to get the max performance out of the car during Q3 at last. Congrat!

the EDGE
the EDGE

I’m interested to see if Lando chooses to manage the pace to the midfield behind or try’s to run with the Mercs & RBs

If he can get off the line well,with Bottas’ penalty and by beating Perez he has a small buffer back to Gasley so if he chooses then managing the pace should be relatively easy, but boy I hope he chooses to see what race pace the car is truly able to achieve when they go for it

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 20:14
I’m interested to see if Lando chooses to manage the pace to the midfield behind or try’s to run with the Mercs & RBs

If he can get off the line well,with Bottas’ penalty and by beating Perez he has a small buffer back to Gasley so if he chooses then managing the pace should be relatively easy, but boy I hope he chooses to see what race pace the car is truly able to achieve when they go for it
“I still need to pick and choose my competitors and my racers carefully and not kill the tyres and things like that. So, we’ll wait and see.

“I think on paper, on Friday, they were quite a bit quicker than us – both the Mercedes and Red Bulls – so I’m not expecting to be super competitive against them.

“We still have a good chance to beat everyone else behind, so that’s the plan.”
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/06/ ... f-a-shock/

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE
the EDGE

Lucky wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 20:26
the EDGE wrote:

“I still need to pick and choose my competitors and my racers carefully and not kill the tyres and things like that. So, we’ll wait and see.

“I think on paper, on Friday, they were quite a bit quicker than us – both the Mercedes and Red Bulls – so I’m not expecting to be super competitive against them.

“We still have a good chance to beat everyone else behind, so that’s the plan.”
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/06/ ... f-a-shock/
That’s what I was afraid of, but it’s also what my head says.

The problem is, I’m a heart man, I don’t think he should destroy his tires trying to keep Perez & Bottas behind him, but I do think it’s an opportunity to throw caution to the wind and push the boundary of performance to see where exactly it lies

the EDGE
the EDGE

McLAREN’S THEORY FOR THE ‘MYSTERY’ THAT BAFFLED RICCIARDO

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclarens ... ricciardo/

Darth-Piekus

What do people here think regarding the performance of Ricciardo? What can probably cause it? I refuse to believe Daniel forgot how to be a fast driver of championship material. What is going on this year?There should be some explanation.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Hopefully he won’t struggle as much on race pace, since he was doing good in practice in the long runs… During the race they aren’t as much on the limit and luckily Austria is a track that allows you to make the overtakes… Let’s hope he climbs back into the points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:

He'll start by trying as much as possible to get distance to Bottas I think, so you might see him power off as much as possible without knackering the tyres.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.