2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Why are we debating wheelbase when there is a direct quote from James Key stating clearly that it changed??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Gotta say, Daniel's helmet design actually sits quite well with the Papaya!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

shinekraj wrote:I think it has been my duty to align lines to minimize the camera angle perspectives. I did it on MCL35 thread a year back and happy to do it now for MCL35M.

This is great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McG

adrianjordan wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 19:23
Why are we debating wheelbase when there is a direct quote from James Key stating clearly that it changed??
The usual on here. Facts are often overlooked.
F1 is dead.

CjC
CjC

Holm86 wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 15:38
Ground Effect wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 09:20
Holm86 wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 21:48
Didn't expect much from the car, as it's basically last year's car. But that livery is SO boring ...
I wonder what you thought about the Marlboro years, with an almost identical livery every year.
It's not the fact that it's almost identical to last years livery, I just simply think its a boring design, nothing going on at all. The 2019 was better IMO, with the blue rear end, and the triangles.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... 019_3Q.jpg

But of course it's just personal preference
I agree, I mush prefer the ‘19 blue to the ‘20 and ‘21 blue
Just a fan's point of view

JordanMugen

CjC wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 21:41
Holm86 wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 15:38
Ground Effect wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 09:20

I wonder what you thought about the Marlboro years, with an almost identical livery every year.
It's not the fact that it's almost identical to last years livery, I just simply think its a boring design, nothing going on at all. The 2019 was better IMO, with the blue rear end, and the triangles.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... 019_3Q.jpg

But of course it's just personal preference
I agree, I mush prefer the ‘19 blue to the ‘20 and ‘21 blue
As a former Malta Blue Renault owner, I rather like the slightly purple blue! :) The famous BMW Estoril Blue is another very similar colour.

A dash of red in a metallic blue paint is fun!

billamend
billamend

McG wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 21:21
adrianjordan wrote:
Reminds me when the discussion was whether RP had the 3rd best car on the grid.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

billamend wrote:
McG wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Don’t... Please don’t... We are starting the season on a good note :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

shinekraj wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 18:58
I think it has been my duty to align lines to minimize the camera angle perspectives. I did it on MCL35 thread a year back and happy to do it now for MCL35M.

https://i.imgur.com/ejTdGFZ.jpeg
Problem with that picture is it show's the front structure of MCL35M is longer than MCL35 and that would required tokens to change so the picture zoom is different between the 2 halves.

Not as sure but I was under the impression that they couldn't use the tokens to change the length of the back either.

Emag
Emag

billamend wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 22:26
McG wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
To be fair, it's not much of a discussion. It's a fact that RP had the overall faster car last year. But that's in the past, McLaren got 3rd in the end so who cares. Now we have to look forward to the future.

shinekraj
shinekraj

Back in 2020 viewtopic.php?p=885899#p885899(), when I said that MCL35 should be far better than MCL34 based on the initial comparisons, someone was commenting that numbers speak. But still I believed that it was far superior to MC34 and finally it did prove it. I have the same kind of feeling seeing the general improvements over MCL35. But the main strength of MCL35 was 'Tyre handling' and relatively consistent drivers. Otherwise RP and Renault should have cleanly beaten MCL35.

But this year, I strongly believe that MCL35M will be better than RP and Renault from Day 1.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
shinekraj wrote:
I think it has been my duty to align lines to minimize the camera angle perspectives. I did it on MCL35 thread a year back and happy to do it now for MCL35M.

Problem with that picture is it show's the front structure of MCL35M is longer than MCL35 and that would required tokens to change so the picture zoom is different between the 2 halves.

Not as sure but I was under the impression that they couldn't use the tokens to change the length of the back either.
They were allowed to modified the length of the car due to the installation... They had to change the gearbox bell housing to a longer one.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t even take Key’s comments as proof of it when he explicitly said so... Beyond the pictures posted here... In the image posted the tires are scaled up pretty even... And even if there is an small difference, the increase is too big at the rear to justify for it... In regards to the nosecone... The picture comparison is against the launch spec MCL35, therefore with the stub nose instead of the slim one which could account for some of the visual difference

Emag
Emag

shinekraj wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:27
Back in 2020 viewtopic.php?p=885899#p885899(), when I said that MCL35 should be far better than MCL34 based on the initial comparisons, someone was commenting that numbers speak. But still I believed that it was far superior to MC34 and finally it did prove it. I have the same kind of feeling seeing the general improvements over MCL35. But the main strength of MCL35 was 'Tyre handling' and relatively consistent drivers. Otherwise RP and Renault should have cleanly beaten MCL35.

But this year, I strongly believe that MCL35M will be better than RP and Renault from Day 1.

The problem is that the weaknesses that McLaren has right now are not as obvious as they used to be. Back in 2018 you could literally just look at the car and see that it was obviously underdeveloped compared to the top teams. Now, aerodynamically the car looks good to the eye, and it behaves very good on track as shown by the pace in high-downforce circuits. What remains to be fixed is the mechanical side of things. Low-speed performance and overall balance. Mercedes's kinematics is absolutely top notch. I am confident that a big chunk of the advantage they have over the rest of the field is just genius suspension designs that allows them to get the most out of the tires.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

shinekraj wrote:Back in 2020 viewtopic.php?p=885899#p885899(), when I said that MCL35 should be far better than MCL34 based on the initial comparisons, someone was commenting that numbers speak. But still I believed that it was far superior to MC34 and finally it did prove it. I have the same kind of feeling seeing the general improvements over MCL35. But the main strength of MCL35 was 'Tyre handling' and relatively consistent drivers. Otherwise RP and Renault should have cleanly beaten MCL35.

I have a similar feeling but for a different reason... In past seasons for some reason the McLaren launch spec cars seemed “unfinished”, this is no dig at McLaren, but it always gave me the impression that several parts were place holders or first iterations, at least when compared to the rest of the field who showed up with more elaborate and complex designs in the barge board area for example... This year, the MCL35M seems closer to a finish product or at least a car that will be fine tuned during the season with incremental improvements instead of one that will receive brand new or very different parts... Yes, it is of course a continuation of the MCL35 and with stability in the rules, it was expected for it to look so mature, but I’m fairly impressed and optimistic for the season.

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t venture to forecast a position on the grid without any lap times or even having been able to see the cars of our direct competitors... I do eco the Team’s goals in regards to closing gap to the front, regardless of whether the car will be ahead or behind the midfield teams... That is all they can really control

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:37
diffuser wrote:
shinekraj wrote:

They were allowed to modified the length of the car due to the installation... They had to change the gearbox bell housing to a longer one.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t even take Key’s comments as proof of it when he explicitly said so... Beyond the pictures posted here... In the image posted the tires are scaled up pretty even... And even if there is an small difference, the increase is too big at the rear to justify for it... In regards to the nosecone... The picture comparison is against the launch spec MCL35, therefore with the stub nose instead of the slim one which could account for some of the visual difference

I haven't seen,couldn't find it.

The bell housing would have been shorter not longer, I think. The Compressor on the front of the Motor makes the PU start a little further back ....