2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:37
diffuser wrote: Problem with that picture is it show's the front structure of MCL35M is longer than MCL35 and that would required tokens to change so the picture zoom is different between the 2 halves.

Not as sure but I was under the impression that they couldn't use the tokens to change the length of the back either.
They were allowed to modified the length of the car due to the installation... They had to change the gearbox bell housing to a longer one.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t even take Key’s comments as proof of it when he explicitly said so... Beyond the pictures posted here... In the image posted the tires are scaled up pretty even... And even if there is an small difference, the increase is too big at the rear to justify for it... In regards to the nosecone... The picture comparison is against the launch spec MCL35, therefore with the stub nose instead of the slim one which could account for some of the visual difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't seen,couldn't find it.

The bell housing would have been shorter not longer, I think. The Compressor on the front of the Motor makes the PU start a little further back ....
Here you go:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/car ... y-changes/

Exact quote:

Nevertheless, the switch to Mercedes power has resulted in a new chassis; gearbox; and fuel, hydraulic, electrical and cooling systems. Even the wheelbase has changed: we’ve had to extend it slightly because the gearbox bell housing is longer to accommodate the Mercedes engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:43
shinekraj wrote:Back in 2020 viewtopic.php?p=885899#p885899(), when I said that MCL35 should be far better than MCL34 based on the initial comparisons, someone was commenting that numbers speak. But still I believed that it was far superior to MC34 and finally it did prove it. I have the same kind of feeling seeing the general improvements over MCL35. But the main strength of MCL35 was 'Tyre handling' and relatively consistent drivers. Otherwise RP and Renault should have cleanly beaten MCL35.

But this year, I strongly believe that MCL35M will be better than RP and Renault from Day 1.
I have a similar feeling but for a different reason... In past seasons for some reason the McLaren launch spec cars seemed “unfinished”, this is no dig at McLaren, but it always gave me the impression that several parts were place holders or first iterations, at least when compared to the rest of the field who showed up with more elaborate and complex designs in the barge board area for example... This year, the MCL35M seems closer to a finish product or at least a car that will be fine tuned during the season with incremental improvements instead of one that will receive brand new or very different parts... Yes, it is of course a continuation of the MCL35 and with stability in the rules, it was expected for it to look so mature, but I’m fairly impressed and optimistic for the season.

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t venture to forecast a position on the grid without any lap times or even having been able to see the cars of our direct competitors... I do eco the Team’s goals in regards to closing gap to the front, regardless of whether the car will be ahead or behind the midfield teams... That is all they can really control

You are right, it will be hard to tell even after Bahrain. Aswe saw last year, performance tends to change track to track.

diffuser

Guess I was wrong on the Gearbox hosuing too... Woow.

_cerber1

Today is the second day of shooting?

BosF1
BosF1

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 09:38
Yes, the second and last filming day is scheduled today.

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
That’s certainly the rumour, although I don’t think McLaren have said so publicly

Weather’s pretty much the same as Monday, maybe a little worst, so they could delay but I guess at this stage they’re just going through systems checks & familiarising themselves with the car so come Bahrain they can hit the test track running in full ‘Merc style’ from the word Go, so a little wind & rain might not hurt too much

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

the EDGE wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 09:55
_cerber1 wrote:
That’s certainly the rumour, although I don’t think McLaren have said so publicly

Weather’s pretty much the same as Monday, maybe a little worst, so they could delay but I guess at this stage they’re just going through systems checks & familiarising themselves with the car so come Bahrain they can hit the test track running in full ‘Merc style’ from the word Go, so a little wind & rain might not hurt too much
And there is a question of scheduling. There are other teams that want the track, team personnel, etc. In the end it's just 100kms on demonstration tyres.

diffuser

I'm sure they are so much earlier than everyone else on the presentation of the car to get these 100km in. They want time to fix any hickups with the PU install and gearbox. So ideally you want to get as many hard laps in as possible. Think the 🌧️ makes it difficult to bring the stresses up to max.

mwillems

Judging by the videos shared so far from today, it's wet but not raining and the track is not too bad, but the car was still on a set of wets. It looked OK for inters on parts of the track, but on others there was standing water and there are no cars to disperse it so...

But they will still be able to get some decent speed up in places and get an idea of the cars behaviour today, I think, much more than on Tuesday.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

f1rules
f1rules

i think they are testing today, weather looks better also, if its enough to dry up im not sure
posted today, but could be from the other day but i dont think

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Sorry if this was mentioned before but from the McLaren website, James Key talked about the inability to exploit chassis change fully due to homologation.

"When modifying the chassis, we worked very closely with the FIA to ensure we were only changing what we needed to, but this meant we couldn’t exploit the chassis change as much as we would have liked in the pursuit of performance. Although we spent our development tokens on the power unit installation, it’s not fully optimised because of the rules around homologation. We would have done it differently were it not for the restrictions put in place for 2021"

I also read ( https://the-race.com/formula-1/six-key- ... -answered/ ) that only the aero side can be developed in-season.

Therefore the change to Mercedes, whilst having the advantages of the best unit, has compromised improving the chassis for 2021.

RBR and Ferrari are in a similar but not as significantly the same position due to new engine designs for 2021 which leaves Mercedes able to spend tokens all on chassis improvement. Have I understood that right?

the EDGE
the EDGE

The 35M on slicks... a clue to some dry running maybe?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

fellowhoodlums wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 17:02
Sorry if this was mentioned before but from the McLaren website, James Key talked about the inability to exploit chassis change fully due to homologation.

"When modifying the chassis, we worked very closely with the FIA to ensure we were only changing what we needed to, but this meant we couldn’t exploit the chassis change as much as we would have liked in the pursuit of performance. Although we spent our development tokens on the power unit installation, it’s not fully optimised because of the rules around homologation. We would have done it differently were it not for the restrictions put in place for 2021"

I also read ( https://the-race.com/formula-1/six-key- ... -answered/ ) that only the aero side can be developed in-season.

Therefore the change to Mercedes, whilst having the advantages of the best unit, has compromised improving the chassis for 2021.

RBR and Ferrari are in a similar but not as significantly the same position due to new engine designs for 2021 which leaves Mercedes able to spend tokens all on chassis improvement. Have I understood that right?
Each team has 2 tokens, so it’s doubtful any team will be able to make all the changes or improvements they’d like to. The thing about stable rules, is that there’s so much data collected over the course of the previous season, and you learn so much and therefore, there’s a big potential to make significant improvements. But with the token, there’ll be a limit to what teams can fix, so they’Il have to choose. Personally, I don’t think McLaren will be that much worse off than other teams. The nose box job last season took out one potential headache, since their 2 tokens were utilised for the Mercedes PU installation. The aero work done and how teams respond to the floor changes could be a big factor though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Surely this is confirmation of today’s running...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another video of the MCL35M on track