2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Well Daniel was able to hold off max with ease at Monza so it seems likely that they have the same specs.
"In downforce we trust"

McL-H
McL-H

djos wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 11:25
Well Daniel was able to hold off max with ease at Monza so it seems likely that they have the same specs.
Daniel didn’t had the new spec at Monza yet. I would assume the Spa-spec has been fitted yesterday as Mercedes is obliged to deliver the same units to its customer teams. Possibly they’ve had some troubles with this spec on Bottas’ car that they have solved now that they have also fitted it on Lewis’ car. I wonder if the team is changing the engine on Norris his car as well next GP. Based on Ferrari’s pace with their new engine, we could definitely do with some extra power. Especially at Saudi Arabia.

CjC
CjC

So we are unsure if Mclaren have received the updated PU other than it might have been fitted to Rics car in Turkey?
It that is the case then yes, get the new specs fitted- that’s basically what Ferrari have just done over the last 2 Grand Prixs and Mclaren need to mirror then at the very least
Just a fan's point of view

JPower
JPower

CjC wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 14:00
So we are unsure if Mclaren have received the updated PU other than it might have been fitted to Rics car in Turkey?
It that is the case then yes, get the new specs fitted- that’s basically what Ferrari have just done over the last 2 Grand Prixs and Mclaren need to mirror then at the very least
Ferrari introduced an entirely new hybrid system. Much different than reliability changes to an ICE unit like Mercedes has done.

McL-H
McL-H

JPower wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 14:35
CjC wrote:
Ferrari introduced an entirely new hybrid system. Much different than reliability changes to an ICE unit like Mercedes has done.
According to Red Bull, the new Mercedes spec was a substantial performance update. Not just a reliability update. On the contrary, Mercedes having to change 2 PU’s for Bottas on 2 following weekends could indicate the new spec actually had reliability problems.

Surely, it is not as big of a leap as Ferrari have had. But it could help.

_cerber1

As far as I understand, this is the same engine that was presented in the Spa, without changes, but due to the fact that it needs to drive few races, more aggressive cartography was used in Mercedes.

JPower
JPower

McL-H wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 14:51
JPower wrote:
CjC wrote:
According to Red Bull, the new Mercedes spec was a substantial performance update. Not just a reliability update. On the contrary, Mercedes having to change 2 PU’s for Bottas on 2 following weekends could indicate the new spec actually had reliability problems.

Surely, it is not as big of a leap as Ferrari have had. But it could help.
I don't think there was any performance upgrade. If the engine is more reliable, they are able to push the PU harder knowing it won't blow up.

diffuser

CjC wrote:
There seems to be some gremlin in the Merc ICE. I'd more concerned about reliability than a couple of extra ponies

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:49
diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:23
Edit
From the Map below, I don't think turns 12 trough 15 will be a problem(slow corners). After a 2nd look, 12 and 15 are slow. No idea about the middle ones. Emag might be right.
Turns 16,17,18 (copy of Hungry turns 1,2,3) look like they are flat out and probably will be.
Turn 1 will not.
Turn 2 can be.
Not sure of Susuki copied sequence of 3 trough 10.

11 will not be a problem.

https://thejudge13.com/wp-content/uploa ... .jpg?w=497

Added another map...

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... to-FIA.jpg
Turn 2 is quite a short corner, so I don't think it will impact us much, but as you say turn 16-18 could hurt us. It is basically one long corner and that is what hurts out car. Thankfully not long after that corner there is a braking zone, so it could scrub some time, but it's not the worst situation ever, which would be going onto a long straight after that section.
Turn 2 has no braking, that why I flagged it. If the driver is able to keep the PU full throttle, the corner is power limited. That is the PU isn't able to get the car up to the maximum speed the car can handle in that turn, in that case the Merc PU will ensure McLaren are one of the best trought turn 2. If the driver comes off the throttle for turn 2, it implies turn 2 is grip limited and some cars will be faster than McLaren through there.

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 16:22
CjC wrote:
There seems to be some gremlin in the Merc ICE. I'd more concerned about reliability than a couple of extra ponies
I’m concerned about both. Ric took a new round of elements which was the correct thing to do and I’d expect to see Lando to do the same in the next couple of races

CjC
CjC

JPower wrote:
CjC wrote:
Like McL-H replied and what Horner said in the link I posted. Merc have found a straight line speed advantage whilst still running a big rear wing. These so called reliability changes have got Red Bull and other engine manufactures questioning the new Merc plenum to the FIA who have said it’s legitimate.

Whether is a reliability update or not, it’s increased Mercedes competitiveness and all I’m most keen for is to see Mclaren have the same spec of ICE.

And to mirror Ferrari... Ferrari have took a penalty to receive an update, their new PUs can be pushed harder from now till the end of the season because their duty cycles are less than what they would normally have been- Mclaren need to do the same with both cars in my opinion

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 14:58
As far as I understand, this is the same engine that was presented in the Spa, without changes, but due to the fact that it needs to drive few races, more aggressive cartography was used in Mercedes.
Did Mclaren take the new engine in Spa as well as the works Mercedes team?

_cerber1

CjC wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 20:07
Yes, all the teams using the Mercedes engine got it there.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 20:49
CjC wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 20:07
Yes, all the teams using the Mercedes engine got it there.
Ah so no ‘update’ as such to come
Thanks for the info👍🏻

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 16:42
mwillems wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:49
diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 16:23
Edit
From the Map below, I don't think turns 12 trough 15 will be a problem(slow corners). After a 2nd look, 12 and 15 are slow. No idea about the middle ones. Emag might be right.
Turns 16,17,18 (copy of Hungry turns 1,2,3) look like they are flat out and probably will be.
Turn 1 will not.
Turn 2 can be.
Not sure of Susuki copied sequence of 3 trough 10.

11 will not be a problem.

https://thejudge13.com/wp-content/uploa ... .jpg?w=497

Added another map...

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... to-FIA.jpg
Turn 2 is quite a short corner, so I don't think it will impact us much, but as you say turn 16-18 could hurt us. It is basically one long corner and that is what hurts out car. Thankfully not long after that corner there is a braking zone, so it could scrub some time, but it's not the worst situation ever, which would be going onto a long straight after that section.
Turn 2 has no braking, that why I flagged it. If the driver is able to keep the PU full throttle, the corner is power limited. That is the PU isn't able to get the car up to the maximum speed the car can handle in that turn, in that case the Merc PU will ensure McLaren are one of the best trought turn 2. If the driver comes off the throttle for turn 2, it implies turn 2 is grip limited and some cars will be faster than McLaren through there.
I don't think anyone will come off the throttle at 2. But the other section we speak about will put a lot of energy into the tyres and the car won't be happy about it.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.