2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 20:28
Wouter wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 17:56
CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:54

I can’t confirm but you are now the second person I’ve heard say it so it might have some traction.
Lando will no doubt need a new ICE anyway so it’s not all roses
My understanding of that is once Ferrari introduced the updated spec ERS component, under the upgrade rules they can not run the old spec ERS component. This has nothing to do with the ICE or other engine elements they did not upgrade mid-season

As the unchanged elements are of a single spec there would be no reason they can not be run or interchanged with the new spec ERS as required
Duchessa is pretty much the foremost insider on Ferrari. If he says it, I'd take it seriously.

the EDGE
the EDGE

JPower wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 21:55
the EDGE wrote:
Wouter wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 17:56

My understanding of that is once Ferrari introduced the updated spec ERS component, under the upgrade rules they can not run the old spec ERS component. This has nothing to do with the ICE or other engine elements they did not upgrade mid-season

As the unchanged elements are of a single spec there would be no reason they can not be run or interchanged with the new spec ERS as required
Duchessa is pretty much the foremost insider on Ferrari. If he says it, I'd take it seriously.
I’m not disputing what he’s saying. I’m disputing the interpretation that says Ferrari cant run Old ICE as it’s not compatible

What he says is “ The new system doesn’t allow a return to the older specs”

I’m saying the correct interpretation is “Once you introduce a new spec component you cannot use the old spec component”

Ferrari only introduced new spec ERS components therefore can not return to old spec components, not because they are incompatible, but because the rules say so
Last edited by the EDGE on 28 Oct 2021, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 17:30
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 16:25
CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:54

I can’t confirm but you are now the second person I’ve heard say it so it might have some traction.
Lando will no doubt need a new ICE anyway so it’s not all roses
They could put the whole old PU in for free practice and a non power track.
For Lando you mean?
Oopps ...think I mixed the posts. that was for the Ferrari.

Darth-Piekus

So questions to a noob regarding mechanical. Ferrari introduced a new ICE and gained some HP from that. All this time they had last years ICE? How does that work? How come all the other manufacturers never did that?

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 22:09
JPower wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 21:55
the EDGE wrote:

I’m not disputing what he’s saying. I’m disputing the interpretation that says Ferrari cant run Old ICE as it’s not compatible

What he says is “ The new system doesn’t allow a return to the older specs”

I’m saying the correct interpretation is “Once you introduce a new spec component you cannot use the old spec component”

Ferrari only introduced new spec ERS components therefore can not return to old spec components, not because they are incompatible, but because the rules say so
I don't think it says that. You are allowed 1 update for each major PU category(ICE, TC, MGU-H, MGU-K, ES and CE) in 2021. Ferrari's hadn't updated all six. They updated them recently.

|       |       | 2023/|      |      |      | 
Maximum permitted number of specifications|       |       | Year | Year | Year |      |
per PU Element and per Season             |  2020 |  2021 | 2022 |  N-3 |  N-2 |  N-1 |
Engine (ICE)                              |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |
Turbocharger (TC)                         |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |
Motor Generator Unit – Heat (MGU-H)       |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |
Motor Generator Unit – Kinetic (MGU-K)    |       1       |      1      |    0 |    0 |
Energy Store (ES)                         |       1       |      1      |    0 |    0 |
Control Electronics (CE)*                 |       1       |      1      |    0 |    0 |
Engine Exhaust System                     |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |
Fuel                                      |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |
Engine Oil                                |     0 |     1 |    1 |    1 |    0 |    0 |

* above limits apply separately to each individual Control Electronics unit.
n : Championship season on which new PU regulations will come into force.
0: In 2020, it means that first race specification must be kept during the complete season. From 2021 onwards
it means the previous season’s specification
1: In 2020 it means that 1 specification update is possible during the season. From 2021 onwards, it means that
1 specification update is possible between end of previous season and end of current season.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 23:10
So questions to a noob regarding mechanical. Ferrari introduced a new ICE and gained some HP from that. All this time they had last years ICE? How does that work? How come all the other manufacturers never did that?
Why? My guess is they had updates they could use in March, Ferrari didn't. Think about it, wouldn't it be better to use them for the whole year, not just 6 races?
Last edited by diffuser on 29 Oct 2021, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Now five race weekends to go.
Leclerc already got this PU in Sochi and Sainz in Turkey. They have to drive this on Fri/Sat and Sunday.

Leclerc has to drive 8 race weekends with his latest PU, of which 1 sprint race weekend and all 8 Fridays
and Sainz 7 weekends.

So they will probably have to use a new PU > grid penalties and start from the back of the grid.
That is very favorable for Lando and Ricciardo.
The Power of Dreams!

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Ferrari has options to go bk to the old PU altogether for cpl of races... so most likely they will not take the penalty ..
Wouter wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 09:30
Leclerc already got this PU in Sochi and Sainz in Turkey. They have to drive this on Fri/Sat and Sunday.

Leclerc has to drive 8 race weekends with his latest PU, of which 1 sprint race weekend and all 8 Fridays
and Sainz 7 weekends.

So they will probably have to use a new PU > grid penalties and start from the back of the grid.

F1NAC

ferrarifire wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 09:54
Ferrari has options to go bk to the old PU altogether for cpl of races... so most likely they will not take the penalty ..
Wouter wrote:

and Sainz 7 weekends.

They cannot. There is difference in packaging with new PU vs older ones

Wouter

ferrarifire wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 09:54
Wouter wrote:

and Sainz 7 weekends.

Ferrari has indicated that the car needs to be significantly adapted to this latest PU. Alfa Romeo and Haas have already said they don't want the new PU because they don't feel like having to modify the car.
So if Ferrari wants to use the old PUs again, they will have to adapt the car again, less power than they have now, loss of points and all that while battling McLaren for third place. Binotto has also said that they want to drive as much as possible with this new one, to see how the wear and reliability is.
I think it is very possible that they will use a new PU, but of course I don't know.
The Power of Dreams!

CjC
CjC

Wouter wrote:

and Sainz 7 weekends.

Surely Lando needs a new ICE at the very least?
He’s already said he was loosing time in Austin to Ric because of their PU mileage differences...
Just a fan's point of view

Wouter

CjC wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 11:09
Wouter wrote:

and Sainz 7 weekends.

He’s already said he was loosing time in Austin to Ric because of their PU mileage differences...
Hopefully that's only an ICE, because that's only a 5 place grid penalty. Stay positive!
The Power of Dreams!

Seerix
Seerix

Wouter wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 11:30
CjC wrote:
Wouter wrote:

and Sainz 7 weekends.

Hopefully that's only an ICE, because that's only a 5 place grid penalty. Stay positive!
1st ICE above approved limit is 10 places penalty, further ones are 5 places

Wouter

Seerix wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 13:36
Wouter wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 11:30
CjC wrote:

1st ICE above approved limit is 10 places penalty, further ones are 5 places
You are right! I was thinking about the Mercedes ICE's from Bottas. :oops:
In that case I think Lando will get all the 6 components, just a few more places back on the grid.
The Power of Dreams!

Darth-Piekus

Now that Mclaren upgrades are over for this season is there any trick we can find on the package to find some more time cause Ferrari seem to have the upper hand now till the end.

I remember last year we managed to bounce back against the Racing Point when they got the upper hand by tweaking the package to find more time. Any chance we can find something similar this year?