2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

billamend wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:00
Reportedly, there was a "gentleman" agreement between the teams and Massi that race should not end with a Safety Car. The same way that they were talking about taking points in case of an accident.

I agree with you: ending under a safety car would have been awful, and having Max lap a few cars in the last lap would have caused an accident.
I honestly think ending under a safety car would have been a better solution. We had a long race, Hamilton proved he was faster in all parts of it, on mediums early on, on hards and on much older hards than Verstappen. What more do you need? The way they decided to end the race on a green not only gifted the win to Hamilton but it went outside of what they needed to do. It was such a borderline situation with the removal of the car and the lapped cars that no one would cause an uproar if it ended under the safety car.

It would certainly be less of a troublesome call. Red Bull would not be filing protests or going to court over a safety car ending.

They wanted a green flag ending so it is better for the show and TV. This is something I don't agree with. Smart move would have kept the safety car for one more lap and there would be almost no controversy.

Big Tea

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:30
billamend wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:00
Reportedly, there was a "gentleman" agreement between the teams and Massi that race should not end with a Safety Car. The same way that they were talking about taking points in case of an accident.

I agree with you: ending under a safety car would have been awful, and having Max lap a few cars in the last lap would have caused an accident.
I honestly think ending under a safety car would have been a better solution. We had a long race, Hamilton proved he was faster in all parts of it, on mediums early on, on hards and on much older hards than Verstappen. What more do you need? The way they decided to end the race on a green not only gifted the win to Hamilton but it went outside of what they needed to do. It was such a borderline situation with the removal of the car and the lapped cars that no one would cause an uproar if it ended under the safety car.

It would certainly be less of a troublesome call. Red Bull would not be filing protests or going to court over a safety car ending.

They wanted a green flag ending so it is better for the show and TV. This is something I don't agree with. Smart move would have kept the safety car for one more lap and there would be almost no controversy.

TBH, if it was better or not, that is what should have happened. Same if it was Max in front. There would be no dispute then as it is the rules and what all teams and drivers would expect.

Even better, as others have said would have been a red flag, grid start and balls out race car v car to the end.
Would that not have been far more exciting that watching a car that obviously was going to do what it did catch a lame duck?
Think of the lost income of footage of those 3 laps to F1. It would have been a ready made advert for F1 racing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Big Tea wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:57
TBH, if it was better or not, that is what should have happened. Same if it was Max in front. There would be no dispute then as it is the rules and what all teams and drivers would expect.

Even better, as others have said would have been a red flag, grid start and balls out race car v car to the end.
Would that not have been far more exciting that watching a car that obviously was going to do what it did catch a lame duck?
Think of the lost income of footage of those 3 laps to F1. It would have been a ready made advert for F1 racing
While red flag would be fun, I feel it would still get it's share of criticism. Mainly because it would be so obviously done for TV. Masi was under a lot of criticism for throwing red flags and using standing starts and this would take it to the extreme.

It's a shame really, it could have been a clean victory by Hamilton. Verstappen fans would be disappointed but it would not be controversial.

mclaren111

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... g/6885148/

Lando had LED Wheel Cover on his car...

proteus

They should make it into spinning projector 🙂
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

bauc

Seerix wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:20
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:08
Seerix wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 12:20
post season testing with new tyres

These new front tyres looks like mountains... :(
Current cars are very good looking IMO and I did not really like the dummy 2022 car presented by FIA, but who knows how will it look like in the end, the real deal. We got used to high noses, step noses, f#lus noses, tall small rear wings etc afterall. We'll get used to these new ones as well :D
Since we are at the topic for next year car(S), do you think Mclaren will adopt the GULF #Monaco livery for full season?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

bauc wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 12:50
Seerix wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:20
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:08

These new front tyres looks like mountains... :(
Current cars are very good looking IMO and I did not really like the dummy 2022 car presented by FIA, but who knows how will it look like in the end, the real deal. We got used to high noses, step noses, f#lus noses, tall small rear wings etc afterall. We'll get used to these new ones as well :D
Since we are at the topic for next year car(S), do you think Mclaren will adopt the GULF #Monaco livery for full season?

No... Zak really likes the Orange & Blue... Gulf Oil also changed their colors a few years ago...

https://www.gulfoil.com/new-retail-fuel-image

_cerber1

mclaren111 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 13:01

No... Zak really likes the Orange & Blue... Gulf Oil also changed their colors a few years ago...

But, I do not exclude the possibility that Gulf oil may become the title in 2022.

bauc

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 13:07
mclaren111 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 13:01

But, I do not exclude the possibility that Gulf oil may become the title in 2022.
The feedback from the Monaco GP was overwhelming, so I think it would suit both parties if they move towards that direction
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

cyclon wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 11:35
snip
It's not the first time the FIA screws someone by changing rules. Personally I am of the opinion that Mclaren as a team is heavily paying the price of the FIA screwing the rules from time to time.
1)It all goes back to Jean-Marie Balestre favoring Alain Prost over Ayrton Senna from 1989 and this continued in 1990(pole position side change from clean to dirty side comes in mind). It's ironic that when Ballestre penalized Senna for coming back into the track in order for Prost to get the championship, Max Mosley decided to go for the FISA presidency.
2)In the years to come Max Mosley did not punish Michael Schumacher for that famous deliberate hit he did on Damon Hill on Adelaide 1994 in the final race. He did punish him though for the same stunt against Villeneuve in Jerez 1997 Last Race.
3)Then comes the next Mclaren era where each innovation of Andrian Newey in Mclaren was removed in favor of Ferrari while Ross Brawn usually kept his. Virilium if I remember correct was also banned(which was only used by Mclaren) and this affected the Mercedes Engines reliability though for that I am not completely sure.
4)1999 and the famous bargeboards size illegalities of the Ferrari in Malaysia who were overturned at the appeals which would have given both championships to Mclaren and Hakkinen one race before.
5)Hakkinen loaded with penalties against Schumacher who had none during the year 2000.
6)2003 and the mid season rule change that gave advantage to the Bridgestone tyre users against the Michelin ones after Ferrari going to the FIA officials before the Monza race. Raikkonen was the rightful champion that year losing the championship by 2 points against Michael Schumacher defeating him with an updated Mclaren from 2002.
7)What about year 2005 and the scandalous 6 car USA only Bridgestone cars race which the FIA was responsible for?
8)Then for 2007 and 2008 where to begin and where to end. The set up Spygate by Max Mosley to get back at Ron Dennis with Mclaren paying the price for the years to come. The Brazil 2007 Race who's championship was decided behind the curtains. Or the 2008 Spa where Hamilton was penalized with the time penalty needed for Massa to be in front. Massa was favored heavily that year even though he was a second rate driver. Forgot to mention the Spygate of Renault that 2007 year against Mclaren and no penalty taken.
9)Brawn GP and it's famous loophole giving a championship to a team that hasn't even done a single test which never happened before.
10)2010 and Ferrari using their FIA connections lobbying engine rules that hamper Mclaren and Red Bull. Then the F-Duct innovation of Mclaren is removed next year but somehow the S-Duct of Red Bull and Mercedes is allowed.
11)The Split Turbo loophole that Mercedes benefited and built up their empire
12)The illegal flexi wings of Red Bull that gave them 4 championships during 2010 to 2014 and keeps them in contest.
13)2018 The most controversial. Ferrari using an Illegal Motor during the whole 2018 year infringing many rules of competition but unlike the Spygate not facing a single penalty.
14)Racing Point only slightly punished for copy scandal. Mercedes not getting punished for DAS. Mercedes and Red Bull not getting punished by flexi wings. Max Verstappen should have been given the Black Flag a long time now for his dangerous driving especially at the first years but I suppose he wasn't driving a Mclaren or was named Montoya (2005 Canada hint hint).
15)Then comes the final scandal. 2021 Abu Dhabi and Masi takes a scandalous decision to only unlap cars between 1st and 2nd. What about Sainz? Doesn't he get the right to get to Max's slipstream?

In general it's not the first time rules were screwed but Mclaren and Hamilton had to pay the price so far. I feel what you say at the end. Sometimes I wonder what is Mclaren doing in this specific F1?

diffuser

djos wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 09:44
trinidefender wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 09:29
djos wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 08:56

There’s nothing Political about encouraging ppl to get vaccinated, except in the USA where gutter politicians have made it political. 🤦‍♂️
For the sake of it being a sport and not a show then yes, I would have preferred the safety car ending. 2nd after that would be a safety car coming in but with no lapped drivers being allowed to unlap themselves. Instead what we got was a farce which compromised the races of other people because they are trying to create a show, the actual sport be damned.

Add in the consistently inconsistent stewarding eg Norris and Perez with one incident and max and Lewis at another and for me, the officials ruined what should have been one of the best F1 seasons probably of all time.
I agree the stewarding this year has been a joke and wildly inconsistent.

Btw, chainbear explains what we saw really well and that’s what he did was broadly legal.

That's probably the best explanation I've heard.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

_cerber1 wrote:

Isn't Gulf Oil a "small" company today, especially in terms of oil companies.
"In December 2015, ArcLight Capital Partners purchased Gulf Oil LP from Cumberland Farms[1] for $ 800 million.[19]"

For example Petronas had multiple billion USD of PROFIT each year.

djos

diffuser wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 00:19
djos wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 09:44
trinidefender wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 09:29

For the sake of it being a sport and not a show then yes, I would have preferred the safety car ending. 2nd after that would be a safety car coming in but with no lapped drivers being allowed to unlap themselves. Instead what we got was a farce which compromised the races of other people because they are trying to create a show, the actual sport be damned.

Add in the consistently inconsistent stewarding eg Norris and Perez with one incident and max and Lewis at another and for me, the officials ruined what should have been one of the best F1 seasons probably of all time.
I agree the stewarding this year has been a joke and wildly inconsistent.

Btw, chainbear explains what we saw really well and that’s what he did was broadly legal.

That's probably the best explanation I've heard.
Same here, I’ve watched a few videos analysing what happened and this is the best by far.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 09:45
_cerber1 wrote:

Isn't Gulf Oil a "small" company today, especially in terms of oil companies.
"In December 2015, ArcLight Capital Partners purchased Gulf Oil LP from Cumberland Farms[1] for $ 800 million.[19]"

For example Petronas had multiple billion USD of PROFIT each year.
Yes, and Zak seems to have intentionally avoided huge title sponsors and focused on lots smaller sponsors so losing a Vodafone or Marlboro doesn’t doom them to a year of failure due to a lack of funding.
"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

Seidl: "Important" McLaren got to grips with Mercedes PU ahead of new F1 regs
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... s/6886290/