Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LHamilton
LHamilton

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

It was inevitable. One can only escape Russells top tier powerpoints for so long. :lol: Will be mega interesting going into next year.

El Scorchio

Absolutely buzzing to see Russell in a Mercedes. He's going to be mega.

What's interesting now is what that does for Verstappen. He's not going to get a look in at either Mercedes or Ferrari now, with two younger and arguably more talented drivers at both teams long term. With a good car, the Ferrari team will be incredibly strong. When Hamilton retires, there are some great options for Mercedes to bring in alongside Russell as well.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Overall, there seem to be quite a number of potential top-tier 'young' drivers that can all have a decent shot for the title if the team delivers a working car... and it's great to see them spread between the teams instead of having one or two teams with a super line-up. We have Verstappen at RB and Russell at MB obviously, but with Norris driving magically at McL (this weekend aside), Leclerc at Ferrari, and naturally, Mazepin at Haas, we're in for a show... if the cars deliver ;)

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 22:07
Imagine De Vries getting the MB seat after Hamilton suddenly and surprisingly decides to call it quits after getting his 8th title and mentions he has permanent lung covid and then DeVries-Russell is the 2022 pair. And then De Vries destroys Verstappen and becomes the first Dutch F1 WDC.

It's silly season, but this would break the internet.
Well, if Verstappen doesn't manage to win the title this season, it's not implausible to think he never will. Both Ferrari and Mercedes will have stacked driver line ups with young, legit top tier talent, and if they both produce a strong 2022 car, then WOW!

I'm really excited for next season already!

LHamilton
LHamilton

Because it's silly season, I will present the (not so) silliest idea;

Schumacher is unhappy in the HAAS enviroment because of Mazepin. Might be looking at an alternative solution, which will be found in Alfa Romeo. I know that HAAS have now become more like the Ferrari 2nd team than Alfa, but I think that Ferrari care for Schumacher to the degree that they are willing to "let him go" to Alfa if he wants to. Schumacher will be at Alfa for 1 or 2 years, depending on Pourchaire, before eyeing that Ferrari drive.

HAAS now have a spot open. And the perfect driver is to be found in F2; Shwartzman. He is not only a FDA, but also russian, which will please Sr Mazepin. If he manages to win the F2 championship, that would be icing on the cake.

El Scorchio

LHamilton wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:16
Because it's silly season, I will present the (not so) silliest idea;

Schumacher is unhappy in the HAAS enviroment because of Mazepin. Might be looking at an alternative solution, which will be found in Alfa Romeo. I know that HAAS have now become more like the Ferrari 2nd team than Alfa, but I think that Ferrari care for Schumacher to the degree that they are willing to "let him go" to Alfa if he wants to. Schumacher will be at Alfa for 1 or 2 years, depending on Pourchaire, before eyeing that Ferrari drive.

HAAS now have a spot open. And the perfect driver is to be found in F2; Shwartzman. He is not only a FDA, but also russian, which will please Sr Mazepin. If he manages to win the F2 championship, that would be icing on the cake.
Do you think it will please Mazepin Jr though? Not sure I can see him taking it too well if they bring a 'better' young Russian driver into the team? I wonder if they are injecting money they might do what the Strolls have done and pair Jr with a more experienced driver he can possibly learn from rather than compete with? Interesting situation though. Clearly there's friction between Mazepin and Schumacher already. I think you're right that people will look to try and place Schumacher somewhere else and actually for him Alfa alongside Bottas would be perfect. It would give him the veteran driver to learn from. (But if Alfa have Mercedes engines rather than Ferrari, does that preclude Schumacher from going there? Maybe he even lands at Williams if they switch supplier?)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:35

What's interesting now is what that does for Verstappen. He's not going to get a look in at either Mercedes or Ferrari now, with two younger and arguably more talented drivers at both teams long term. With a good car, the Ferrari team will be incredibly strong. When Hamilton retires, there are some great options for Mercedes to bring in alongside Russell as well.
Interesting point about Verstappen. I actually think it will help him next year - assuming Red Bull's car is up there near/at the front. The other top teams have driver line ups that will potentially take points off each other where Max is the sole focus of the team and knows that he will be looked after from day one. For example, a strong Russell would fight Hamilton and they take points off each other. LIkewise at Ferrari. Whilst another team would win the constructors' title, it would increase the chances of Max winning the drivers' title.

It wouldn't be the first time - 1986 and 2007 both come to mind where the stronger team lost the drivers' title because their drivers took points off each other. Prost and Kimi both benefitted in those years, and the Williams and McLaren drivers lost out respectively.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

langedweil

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:32
El Scorchio wrote:

Interesting point about Verstappen. I actually think it will help him next year - assuming Red Bull's car is up there near/at the front. The other top teams have driver line ups that will potentially take points off each other where Max is the sole focus of the team and knows that he will be looked after from day one. For example, a strong Russell would fight Hamilton and they take points off each other. LIkewise at Ferrari. Whilst another team would win the constructors' title, it would increase the chances of Max winning the drivers' title.

It wouldn't be the first time - 1986 and 2007 both come to mind where the stronger team lost the drivers' title because their drivers took points off each other. Prost and Kimi both benefitted in those years, and the Williams and McLaren drivers lost out respectively.
I'd guess that wouldn't happen as long as James is around ..
HuggaWugga !

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:27
Clearly there's friction between Mazepin and Schumacher already.
Well one has some talent and money and the other has mostly just got money. Over a similar junior career, Mazepin won a total of 7 races and no titles. Schumacher won two titles and 26(?) races. And I particularly like that Schumacher did a second season in both F3 and F2 in order to win each before moving up to the next level.

Whilst Schumacher is doubtless benefitting from his father's legacy, he has at least done the hard yards in the junior series and won titles. Mazepin has just been bought a succession of seats irrespective of results. He has no place in F1 and I've seen no evidence to suggest he ever will.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

langedweil wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I know what you're trying to say, but if Russell stays with Hamilton in the points hunt - something Bottas has failed to do even when starting a season well - then he won't be asked to move over. The key is to keep your championship hopes at the same place as Hamilton's during the season. Drop back and you're going to be asked to step aside. That's just simple reality at this level.

Perez has the same problem - he's dropped back too far too quickly and now must resign himself to helping Max this year. Next year, he needs to stay with Max in order to get better treatment.

F1NAC

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Yes but with having 2 drivers that are capable having basically equal race craft, gives a chance of attack on sole Verstappen at front week in week out.

They will take points from each other, but at races where cars are not that far of each other, it can well play into Mercedes hand.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Good point actually. The tactic of only focusing everything on one driver for the WDC at the expense of the other driver and indeed the WCC does have a clear advantage and could pay dividends, and I'm sure it's what they will continue to do going forward. It would be easier to convince Russell at Mercedes that his time to be the man will come in a year or two and for now he has to back up Hamilton in a close title fight, unless (not out of the question actually) he pulls a Leclerc when Leclerc joined Ferrari.

Sainz and Leclerc seem quite harmonious at the moment (and I think Leclerc does have Sainz's number in open competition) but we all know how that can change when a title is dangling in front of a team and their drivers, as you say.

Exciting times!

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:46
langedweil wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:39
Just_a_fan wrote:

I know what you're trying to say, but if Russell stays with Hamilton in the points hunt - something Bottas has failed to do even when starting a season well - then he won't be asked to move over. The key is to keep your championship hopes at the same place as Hamilton's during the season. Drop back and you're going to be asked to step aside. That's just simple reality at this level.

Perez has the same problem - he's dropped back too far too quickly and now must resign himself to helping Max this year. Next year, he needs to stay with Max in order to get better treatment.
I don't think it was ever the plan for Perez to compete with Verstappen. It's to focus everything on race pace at the expense of qualifying and then go long first stint to be a nuisance in the races. The fact they resigned him for 2022 and have made basically zero negative noises about qualifying or race performance this season would back that up.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:42
El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:27
Clearly there's friction between Mazepin and Schumacher already.
Well one has some talent and money and the other has mostly just got money. Over a similar junior career, Mazepin won a total of 7 races and no titles. Schumacher won two titles and 26(?) races. And I particularly like that Schumacher did a second season in both F3 and F2 in order to win each before moving up to the next level.

Whilst Schumacher is doubtless benefitting from his father's legacy, he has at least done the hard yards in the junior series and won titles. Mazepin has just been bought a succession of seats irrespective of results. He has no place in F1 and I've seen no evidence to suggest he ever will.
Yes, I do agree with that. But he will be in the sport as long as his dad decides he wants to invest in him, which is the reality!

Schumacher seems like a really good kid and a student of the sport, even if he might not make it as a top level driver, so I'm hoping he gets a chance. As you say, I think the family name will guarantee that to an extent, but he clearly wants to be there on merit and that's very admirable. Hope he makes it on his own talent.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 14:00

Schumacher seems like a really good kid and a student of the sport, even if he might not make it as a top level driver, so I'm hoping he gets a chance.
He does come across very well, certainly.