Aston Martin AMR21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Re: Aston Martin AMR21

The sidepods downward shape of last years car look way more aggressive. Less steep more roundish. Reminds me of RB

raymondu999

senja wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 22:06
MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 21:13
Gone back to the high sidepod inlet, first adopted in 2019 (left).
https://i.imgur.com/BjjqmVv.jpg
I'm glad that someone has something smart to say.

So, they copied themselves. Mercedes is the last car that introduced high inlets, in 2020. And RP went backwards in that part of the car for 2020. Till 2019 they followed Red Bull design, and high rake. Last year, they went to 1 year trip studying Mercedes philosophy. Now they know how both concept works. This year, they have many things from that Mercedes concept, logically as they using most of the allowed Mercedes parts. But with some things they are more like Red Bull, as rounded sidepods.
Agree. To memory — they’re probably the only team that has run on track with both high/low rake solutions?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Perhaps someone could stitch a left vs right comparison photo between this and the W12?

Edit — found this
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Zynerji

It actually looks a bit lower "frontal area" compared to the Merc, and the angle doesn't flatter that assessment.

It's going to be interesting what this does as having a weird transitional hybrid between high/low rake might give some of the best of both worlds... Especially if it can handle a high variance from track to track.

raymondu999

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 02:40
It actually looks a bit lower "frontal area" compared to the Merc, and the angle doesn't flatter that assessment.
Yes I do believe the Merc is taken at a higher camera position relative to the car. Which should make the AMR sidepod look smaller(?)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Zynerji

raymondu999 wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 02:49
Zynerji wrote:
Yes I do believe the Merc is taken at a higher camera position relative to the car. Which should make the AMR sidepod look smaller(?)
My point exactly. It's the skinny shot of the Merc and the fat shot of the AMR, and the AMR still has less frontal area.

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

They are the only team to have ran both low and high rake as well as low and high sidepod inlet with the same spec of tyre in the last two years, so they'll have a large amount of relevant data to adjust everything together, quite lucky how things turned out for them. Tyre's are new this year but that's still a massive help for the new aero behaviors.

Fine adjustment on the nose and front suspension attachment to make it flow a bit better, looks like everything as been pulled in a bit more everywhere, but I'd never noticed the bump on the right side after the nose horns, it was there already last year but I guess its standing out more in green than it did in pink. I wonder what's there that needed just a bit more space.

I had never looked at the detailed list of token part for this year, so I did, and it's nuts how little team can change mechanically. 2 tokens is really nothing so I can see why other teams were pissed that Aston can run fairly new gearbox and rear suspension for free (it costs around 9 tokens if I understood the listing correctly).

They did well last year with a completely new car, let's see this year if more experience and money can get them to land better results.

For the curious, the list of token parts starts page 122 of the regulation.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -12-16.pdf

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 02:49
Zynerji wrote:
Not just that but from slightly different distances. There are fixed dimensions on the cars and those vary between the "halves" of that split image. So care is required comparing the relative thinness of the two cars.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mantaque
mantaque

Interestingly we can see they added fins in the floor, 3 in the "front", and 6 of them in the "back".

michl420
michl420

For me that bulge on the Aston Martin sits more backwards than on the mercedes. But the engine itself should be more or less in the same position. Maybe I misjudge it.

PlatinumZealot

Raleigh wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 23:35
https://i.imgur.com/qvkZq4Q.jpg

Aggressive floor treatment with a cutout and finlets for vortex generation and sealing the floor. Haven't seen this on any of the cars revealed yet, will be interesting to compare with the W12 when Mercedes unhides their floor.
The Alfa Tauri has this. It's a new ideaoverall though. Cant say I have seen it in any previous years.

Engineers trying to create a strong floor sealing vortex again. It won't be as efficient without the floor gills thats for sure though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:

It's going to be interesting what this does as having a weird transitional hybrid between high/low rake might give some of the best of both worlds... Especially if it can handle a high variance from track to track.
I don't get the transitional hybrid part?
Isnt it the same Mercedes suspension and gearbox. Not to mention whatever they copied from the chassis amd wheelbase?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Raleigh
Raleigh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 15:11
Zynerji wrote:

Isnt it the same Mercedes suspension and gearbox. Not to mention whatever they copied from the chassis amd wheelbase?
Exactly, there is no "hybrid", the AMR21 is full on low rake Mercedes style. Any difference between comparison shots are down to different angles and focal length.

Zynerji

Raleigh wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 16:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 15:11
Zynerji wrote:

Isn't it the same Mercedes suspension and gearbox. Not to mention whatever they copied from the chassis and wheelbase?
Exactly, there is no "hybrid", the AMR21 is full on low rake Mercedes style. Any difference between comparison shots are down to different angles and focal length.
Why would any of that have anything to do with the ride-height settings and the aero effects they cause?

It has been shown that the AMR01 is NOT a direct copy of the W11/12, so that means that it is developed in-house with their personnel and knowledge. It is not inconceivable that the AMR could run at 110% Mercedes ride height, even with the Merc suspension, as the aero surfaces could be tuned to do just that.

We don't know, and that's why I speculated on the possible hybridization of the 2 designs.